Commander
Spanish American War battleship plan. 1898
As near as I can count:
2x 12" Turret "rifles"
4x 6" redoubt rifles
2x 6" deck rifles
14 "PDR" (?) guns
2x rapid fire guns
Apparently Commodore Dewey, with this sort of ship, made short work of Spanish at Matanzas, Philippines.

Spanish American War Ship 1.jpgSpanish American War Ship 2.jpgSpanish American War Ship 3.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
That's the USS Texas ... "Old Hoodoo!" She had kind of a bad go of it and got the reputation of being a jinxed boat. Do you actually have that newspaper? That's really cool.

Dewey commanded from on board Olympia (a cruiser) during the battle in Manila. You can tour her in Philadelphia.

harringtondav

Commander
Do you actually have that newspaper? That's really cool.
Yes. Bucket list project sorting through the family archives. The paper has been folded for at least half of it's 120 yr life. It is as crisp as a dried tree leaf. I Scotch taped it as well as I could. Going to store it flat in a large portfolio folder.

Edit- PS. What kind/caliber gun were those "PDR" guns?

southkogs

Staff member
What kind/caliber gun were those "PDR" guns?
I believe, in the drawing "PDR guns" are the 6 pounders. 2.2" / 57mm quick fire guns. I'm getting a little out of my league at this point, but I understand those guns were primarily used to defend against torpedo boats coming in (light, fast movers that get in close). 20 rounds per minute out to a little over 8k yards.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
As a diver way back when I was always interested in Naval history. The bottom of Lake Erie is riddled with war ships from the War of 1812. We dove a few and they were quite easy dives as the lake is very shallow. On the west end of Lake Ontario just outside Hamiton Ontario (my home town) are 3 warships from 1812 as well. I can't remember the names because I have sometimers deseace. Even though they are wooden vessels they are in pristine condition because they are deep and that lake is very cold. By the way the British won that war even though historians in the US declare victory. That's a discussion for a different thread.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Old Ironmaker have you ever dove on the hms st Lawrence?She was a Canadian built British 112 gun 3 decker launched in 1814 on lake Ontario which sent the U.S.warships running to hide in Sacketts Harbor till peace was signed as they had zero in their inventory which could even come close to that might.It cleared all of lake Ontario without ever having to fire a shot.