NFL - Off- Season Debates/News/Banter

aspeck

Staff member
Well, the crazy off-season continues. A non-football things is the Phillies extended a 13 year $330 Million deal to Bryce Harper. He is not tweeting Leveon Bell to come to Philly and join him ... Like L'eveon can pick where he wants to go ...

aspeck

Staff member
Jason Witten comes out of retirement (tired of the criticism from his performance in the MNF booth???) to once again join the Dallas Cowgirls. Witten's deal is $3.5M with incentives that could reach a total of $5M ... I would leave the broadcast booth for that!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Romo has set a high bar for retired NFL'ers moving into the booth. Witten wasn't anywhere as good.

For the next 13 years the Phillies better be 161 - 1. Machado's 10 year, 300M was insane.

I didn't read the article because I was laughing too hard with tears streaming down my cheeks, but this takes the cake;

h=118

World's Top Bridge Player Flunks Drug Test

The doping scandal among players has reached a new frontier: card games. Geir Helgemo, the No. 1 bridge player in the world, has been suspended after failing a drug test at a

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, that’s been in the rumor mill for a few weeks .. I’m good with it ! Bad teams don’t get better unless they get better quarterbacks... Blake is a real team player and a great guy in the community but we just have to upgrade that position...

aspeck

Staff member
Antonio Brown threatening to sit out the season ... Um, did you see that move didn't put Bell in great graces (looks like Jets will pursue Bell) ...

Kellon Winslow Jr arrested again ... this time for being naughty with a woman literally twice his age at a health club ... yikes!

LT Donovan Smith of the TB Bucs signs a 3 year $41M deal. Nice for him!

Ravens cut Michael Crabtree and are trading Flacco to Denver (Not the QB Denver needs).

Giants Running Backs coach has said he likes Penn State guys and is looking at Miles Sanders out of PSU to compliment Barkley in the backfield. Sanders mother says, "I heard that before. Don't want my son sitting behind Barkley again."

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My biggest surprise including dink head sitting out the entire season cutting his hand to spite his face was Tony Romo's performance in the booth. Wow, the guy is a Football savant. Team mates always touted his Football I.Q. but until I saw and heard it I didn't believe it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As all of us are on pins and needles were AB is going:rolleyes:, sounds like Friday is decision day. Here are the odds where he will land....

BetOnline has odds posted for which team Brown will be on when the 2019 NFL regular season begins, and the Oakland Raiders are the current favorites at +350 (7-2). They are followed by the Tennessee Titans at +550 (11-2), the Cardinals at +750 (15-2) and the Green Bay Packers at +1,000 (10-1).

Old Ironmaker

Captain
NFL free agency time. Like the silly season of auto racing. Whom will go where, at what cost to each team and or how much? I was on a sports Talk Radio show today and threw this out there to chew on. In light of these obscene contracts being signed in Major League Baseball I suggest this formula to keep the league from eating itself. Like most collective bargaining agreements unionized or not there is always a base salary for every position. If one works hard and makes profit for the shareholders or owners he or she is rewarded, afterwards not before. Tell me what you did today not what you might do tomorrow. Each starting player earns a base salary for each position. Any salary above that is all performance driven. It's done everyday in a capitalist driven society. From a custodian to the CEO of the same company. Take sales. You get a base salary then your wages rise based on what you sell through commissions. It's up to you, sell more make more. Not on commission? Then if and when the company makes a profit the janitors wage rises, loose money no wage increase, in fact wages may go down from the guy knocking on doors to sell to the CEO. 10 years for 300M, 13 years for 330M. Come on Man!! You hire someone to shovel your driveway of snow, the guy or gal doesn't get paid until the job is finished to the home owners satisfaction. 300 million bucks and the guy hasn't swung a bat and he can miss 2 out of 3 times and be called a Superstar. Too simple?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Roc Thomas a Viking marginal player, not a starter one of those guys that is just hanging on the roster each season gets busted for having a large amount of weed, what an idiot.

aspeck

Staff member
Some of it was Ben, some of it was Bell appearing to get his way, but most of it was just AB ... he became a “star” ... dancing with the stars ... he became king of the celebrations ... he became someone who could not be touched (in his own eyes). He had trouble with a couple of his kid’s moms, he had trouble with different Steelers players, he had some trouble with the law. Most of this happened AFTER JuJu came on board and started having success. He was upset that Ben would “cheat on him” and throw the ball to JuJu as much as he did. Things just kept escalating. AB painted himself into a corner. In the end, there were a lot of contributing factors, but it all came back to AB being AB. It was fun when he was untouchable, but given competition for the ball ... it turned ugly. I hope AB does well with the Raiders, but I don’t see it. Please prove me wrong, AB!

aspeck

Staff member
He is at the peak of his prime (31 when the season starts) ... he is not going to get better at this point, only slow down. He has personal issues and has had issues with team mates and management. And he had Pittsburgh between a rock and a hard place ... a lot of cap money to keep a cancer, or not get much, but get a little relief in cap and dead money. And when Brown said he would not report to Buffalo, Steelers lost even more bargaining power. AB has Pittsburgh in a place where he could hurt them. AB was also able to negotiate a higher contract with the Raiders because they didn’t give much for him.

I figured Pitt would get a 3rd round pick for him ... the fact they got a 5th round also made it a better return than I expected.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
What is in the DNA of wide outs that make them prima donnas? Wanting to get the ball all the time is understandable. AB and others can't make their bonus money if they aren't thrown to, I get that too. But there is the right way to act, not the AB way. He is an idiot and I am so glad the Bill's didn't contaminate the locker room. It only took Gruden a few days to set the Raiders back 10 years and now he has a prima donna to deal with. Gruden thinks he's dealing with players a generation ago, he isn't.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well I guess we are getting a QB .. He must have one heck of an agent to get the cake the Jags front office is dishing out !
Hoping for not another overpaid mediocre qb ...Still trying to be optimistic....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
OBJ to the Browns? Wonder what NYG has up their sleeve? Very little?

aspeck

Staff member
LeVeon Bell to the Jets and he signs a 4 year $50M contract with $30M guaranteed. That is $5M LESS per year than he was offered in Pittsburgh and only $5M more total contract in guarantees... and he missed out on a year at $17.5M. I don’t get it. But I am glad the Steelers are rid of them. Now the Steelers need to find a replacement for their aging quarterback.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
OBJ to the Browns. That has to hurt in the G-men’s Camp. But he has been showing signs of AB-esque attitude. Maybe it is best.