2019 Nascar - Daytona, Race #1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tomorrow at 7PM the rest of the 500 starting spots will be raced out through the Duels.

With demise of Jayski's, finding what he used to provide is hard. One of the changes this year is the new rules package. For example, this D500 is the last restrictor plate race. Don't jump up and cheer! The new thing is tapered spacers. As The Twerp said today during Media Day - “Tapered spacers are still restrictor plates.” There is still hope for the boy. Nah!

The following shows the tapered spacer size and Aeroducts, whatever they are, for each track. So all tracks will have restrictors by any name. I don't understand the "no change" for the 1.170" taper. Those tracks didn't use any type of restriction prior to 2019. One other thing is fuel mileage is changed up or down depending on what size plate. Nascar's answer - Block part of the fuel tank so mileage will be about the same per fill up. Ever wonder why Nascar is losing fans? Slow the cars down and now talk of shortening races so slower cars can finish races in the same TV window. Wanna fix that - Dump stage racing which wastes about 20 minutes per race. Some brain trust that runs Nascar now!

plateracing.PNG

WIMUSKY

Staff member
So Dega isn't technically a restrictor plate race. We only have 1 plate race this year... Or they're all plate races...:facepalm:

FlaCowboy

Ensign
I would rather see the good ole days where cars that hit the set up right could pull away and leave the field. There would be different packs running. To me....that would be better racing than one big freight train with one mistake taking out half of the field.

GA_Boater

Bill Elliott's Ford set up should be the standard for Daytona and Talladega. 212.809 mph during qualifying at Dega in 1987 is the fastest official lap. Incidentally Awesome Bill's record speed and a major wreck during the Winston 500 ripping up the catch fence and scattering debris into the stands resulted in plate racing as we know it today. That is until the non-restrictive tapered spacer starting at Atlanta next week. :doh:

Rusty Wallace went 216.309 in his Dodge in 2004 at Dega, but it wasn't a sanctioned Nascar event and isn't the "official" speed.

I wonder how fast a unrestricted car with the current aero design would go? In 1987 Elliott was driving a brick.

Today we have Truck practice and the Duels at 7PM - All of it on FS1.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Bill Elliott's Ford set up should be the standard for Daytona and Talladega. 212.809 mph during qualifying at Dega in 1987 is the fastest official lap. Incidentally Awesome Bill's record speed and a major wreck during the Winston 500 ripping up the catch fence and scattering debris into the stands resulted in plate racing as we know it today. That is until the non-restrictive tapered spacer starting at Atlanta next week. :doh:

Rusty Wallace went 216.309 in his Dodge in 2004 at Dega, but it wasn't a sanctioned Nascar event and isn't the "official" speed.

I wonder how fast a unrestricted car with the current aero design would go? In 1987 Elliott was driving a brick.

Today we have Truck practice and the Duels at 7PM - All of it on FS1.

Rusty did 228 down the front/back stretch...in a brick...!!! :eek:
With todays areo packages and the horse power engines of the good ole days I would think they could easily hit 240...that is if someone was brave enough to try it...:D

GA_Boater

Forgot about the Duels until a minute ago. Checked one of the Twitter threads and saw there has been 1 caution in the 1st Duel. The Twerp spun out on the backstretch. Why? Because Johnson spun him. LOL

Sure have been a lot of pit penalties - Speeding, over the wall too early, pitting out of the box, the list goes on.

Pretty much a freight train from the few laps I've watched.

GA_Boater

Happy Harvick is happy by winning Duel #1. i though the top 10 would end up a mangled mess the way they tried to get up to Harvick by going 3 or more wide on the final lap.

GA_Boater

Joey led one lap, but it was the last lap to win Duel #2 Bowyer was in front for 41 of the 60 laps until he was passed by Joey at about lap 59.5.

Tomorrow Cup and X-Men practice, Trucks qualify for the race at 4:40PM.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's what I thought. Can't call him, front row Joe, I guess.. lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The 500 looks like it would be a good day to shovel snow, if they are going race like they did in the duals and the clash...

:faint2:

GA_Boater

No MT. They were saving their cars to smash 'em up them during the 500. LOL

Nascar has a new contest to win $100 worth Nascar merchandise each race. I don't care about the prize, but it could be fun. It's called Props Challenge. From the home page at Nascar.com, look at the Quick Links on the left side.

There are 10 question to answer. Like How many times will JJ wreck a competitor as in the Clash and Duel, How many times will JJ say it's just racin', Who will The Twerp blame if he doesn't win or What lap will we see the Big One.

You get the idea. LOL BTW - Had to turn off my ad blocker to see the entry page. So if you have problems............

Bob Pockrass explains the aeroducts;

Those ducts will be used as brake ducts for Atlanta, Darlington, Homestead and both Pocono races (where brakes and tire wear could come more into play) instead of to shift air through the front of the wheel well.

So now we know :thumb:

Two Cup practice sessions today.

GA_Boater

1st practice today is over with The Twerp topping the charts. 7 cars ran laps over 200 MPH.

GA_Boater

Menard was the fastest in today's last Cup practice and 11 cars topped 200 MPH. One more practice tomorrow.

Next is Truck qualifying followed by the race this evening at 7:43.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Speaking of Harrison Burton, he won the ARCA race. Drives for the Twerp, booooooo and is Jeff's kid..

GA_Boater

Interesting Truck race. First a truck catches fire from a blown tire, then a jackman for the 28 is runover by is own team when the brakes fail and the truck came in hot, way hot. And the traditional Big One at Daytona with one driver holding his chest after climbing out of the truck. No idea how many mangled trucks. Seven + mashed trucks.

GA_Boater

A Tweet;

Everyone, 10 min ago: “THIS IS AMAZING WHY DON’T THE CUP GUYS RACE LIKE THIS”

Everyone, now: “oh right. that’s why”

They all race like this at Dega and Daytona.