2019 Nascar - Daytona, Race #1

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Missed the cut off for the pole. Probably won't be the last time this happens :sleeping:

Missed 3 or 4 races last year. :facepalm:

I hope I am in a position to miss 3 or 4 races this year! I need to get back out on the lake!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yellow for misty moisture. Past the halfway point, so if no restart the race is official.

Official? It's an exhibition race for cryin' out loud!

Now the yellow flag washed out and revealed it's true color - Red!

aspeck

Staff member
After snoozing for most of the race my dog was whining and wanted fed... I am 4 steps beyond the TV when the sheet metal started crunching! That was a big one!

aspeck

Staff member
Kurt Busch
Blaney
Bowman

the only 3 cars NOT involved! Yikes!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I bet Rick is feeling much better about his changes now, one with a pole, one with a win!

GA_Boater

Missed the wreck cuz I didn't look for a stream for an exhibition race. Which is now called for rain.

So a 17 car pile up! That's a Clash! Daytona plate racing at it's finest. :facepalm:

They got it restarted after the red for rain, wreck a few cars and then the red came again for more rain. A fine start to the racing season!

Oh - Johnson won by default. :smile:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Missed the wreck cuz I didn't look for a stream for an exhibition race. Which is now called for rain.

So a 17 car pile up! That's a Clash! Daytona plate racing at it's finest. :facepalm:

They got it restarted after the red for rain, wreck a few cars and then the red came again for more rain. A fine start to the racing season!

Oh - Johnson won by default. :smile:

After not finishing the last 7 clashes he was in, I am sure he is going to take it anyway he can get it.

GA_Boater

After inspection he may not be the winner.;)

Nah, Chad is crewin' for Byron now. LOL

Plenty of people unhappy with JJ for taking out Menard. 21 crew said one zigged and the other zagged.

But I'll blame Jimmie too so I'm in the majority. LOL

Looking at the retweet of FOX in Pockrass's Twitter feed, I'll go with the zig-zag. Small movement down by Menard as Johnson moved up a little. Often it is a game of inches or less.

If you want, look for yourself at the FOX:Nascar tweet in Pockrass threads; https://twitter.com/bobpockrass

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nah, Chad is crewin' for Byron now. LOL

Plenty of people unhappy with JJ for taking out Menard. 21 crew said one zigged and the other zagged.

But I'll blame Jimmie too so I'm in the majority. LOL

Looking at the retweet of FOX in Pockrass's Twitter feed, I'll go with the zig-zag. Small movement down by Menard as Johnson moved up a little. Often it is a game of inches or less.

If you want, look for yourself at the FOX:Nascar tweet in Pockrass threads; https://twitter.com/bobpockrass

I have no problem at all with what happened, anymore than I did with Larson and Bush last year, the guys were racing and things didn't turn out the way some wanted.

Jimmie had more fight in his eyes today than I have seen for a couple of years now, the marriage had become stale, after all this time, I think he and Chad needed new challenges, it had become old school Sunday afternoons on the track with Chad and Jimmie, they both have something to prove again. Jimmie wants to prove he is a race car driver without Chad and Chad wants to prove that he can have a strong hand in molding the next generation of great drivers.

Today started that friendly challenge it will be fun to see the outcome at the end of the season.

:D
What I am going to find real interesting is when it comes down to William and Jimmie racing for the win, Chad the veteran against Jimmie's new crew chief who is a cup rookie, how is that going to play out!

:eek:

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I saw the big one while our group stopped at an establishment to rest, grab a Pepsi and warm up. Sledding was great! Snowing and everything. 2 of us guys, our wives and another lady... My gift to the wife on her bday.... lol

GA_Boater

I think that your gift to you on the Admiral's BD. I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Nope. She wanted to ride. Even let her use my sled...

FlaCowboy

Ensign
I believe we are going to see a different Jimmy this year...one that is going to use his bumper more often.
The Ford Mustangs looked to be running well. The Chevy Carmaros didn`t seem to get cars running good until later in the year last year. The Toyotas didn`t seem to have anything for the Fords or Chevys.
I hope that we do not see a Daytona freight train...how boring that will be.

GA_Boater

I think we will see the train. No matter what aero changes are made, the train is the only way to stay in the lead pack with plates and reduced power. I think the plate holes are even smaller with the latest rules package.

Here is the Thursday through Sunday schedule from MRN;

Thursday, February 14

Gander Outdoors Truck Series Practice: 2:35 p.m.-3:25 p.m. (FS2)

Gander Outdoors Truck Series Final Practice: 4:35 p.m.-5:25 p.m. (FS2)

Radio Pre-Race: 6:00 p.m. (MRN)
Monster Energy Cup Series Duel at Daytona: 7:00 p.m. (MRN, FS1)
Friday, February 15

Xfinity Series Practice: 12:05 p.m.-12:55 p.m. (FS1)

Monster Energy Cup Series Practice: 1:05 p.m.-1:55 p.m. (MRN, FS1)

Xfinity Series Final Practice: 2:05 p.m.-2:55 p.m. (FS1)

Monster Energy Cup Series Practice: 3:05 p.m.-3:55 p.m. (MRN, FS1)

Gander Outdoors Truck Series Qualifying: 4:40 p.m. (FS1)

Radio Pre-Race: 7:00 p.m. (MRN)
Gander Outdoors Truck Series NextEra Energy 250: 7:30 p.m. (MRN, FS1)
Saturday, February 16

Xfinity Series Qualifying: 9:40 a.m. (FS1)

Monster Energy Cup Series Final Practice: 12:05 p.m.-12:55 p.m. (MRN, FS1)

Radio Pre-Race: 2:00 p.m. (MRN)
Xfinity Series Daytona 300: 2:30 p.m. (MRN, FS1)
Sunday, February 17

Radio Pre-Race: 1:30 p.m. (MRN)
Monster Energy Cup Series Daytona 500: 2:30 p.m. (MRN, FOX)

aspeck

Staff member
I will second the No to the Daytona Freight train! Jimmie got excited when he saw the weather closing in and new the race was going to end soon, so he ended it on his terms! LOL! Seriously, I do believe it was a bold move by Jimmie and a blocking move by Menard ... neither realized how close the other was and the result was a lot of recycled steel, aluminum, and plastic, with some rubber thrown in for good measure. A junkyard man’s dream!