2019 Nascar - Daytona, Race #1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Forget football - It's almost time for the Longest Pro Sport Season kickoff. The 2 month off-season flew by, didn't it?

Nascar's Fantasy Live is up and running already with the first pick to made on Sunday for the Daytona pole.

FL looks to be unchanged from last year. Pick 5 drivers and a spare for the garage to put in if one of your main 5 drivers eats the wall or is wrecked by The Twerp. Bonus points are awarded for picking the pole sitter, Heats 1 & 2, race winner and winning car Mfr. The only real change I see is larger cash prizes, but I don't remember what they were last year. All I ever won was one of these. 🏆 LOL Hope they fixed some of the bugs that made "Live" an oxymoron.

Sign up for Fantasy Live if you want to play along with the iBoats group. You should be able to sign up and join the iBoats league from this link - https://fantasygames.nascar.com/live/league/iboats

It looks like all the iBoats members were carried over from last year, so start by picking your pole winner if you want to play this year. You probably got an email yesterday from Nascar. Nice of them to send it 2 days before the start of the contest! :facepalm:

The pole locks at 12:05 PM ET/11:05 Central. Good luck to all the iBoats teams, both old and new. See ya at the finish line! :D

GA_Boater

Here is the Daytona schedule chunk for this weekend from MRN. It's too long to post the whole Speedweek thing cuz it is too darn long!

Saturday, February 9

Monster Energy Cup Series (Clash) Final Practice: 10:30 a.m.-11:55 a.m. (MRN, FS1)

Monster Energy Cup Series Practice: 1:00 p.m.-1:55 p.m. (MRN, FS1)

Monster Energy Cup Series Practice: 3:00 p.m.-3:55 p.m. (MRN, FS1)

ARCA Racing Series Lucas Oil 200: 4:45 p.m. (FS1)

Drawing for Starting Positions for Advance Auto Parts Clash: 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, February 10

Monster Energy Cup Series Qualifying: 12:00 p.m. (MRN, FOX)

Radio Pre-Race: 2:00 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: 2:00 p.m. (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Advance Auto Parts Clash: 3:00 p.m. (MRN, FS1)

Schedule updates for practices, the Duels and race will follow. Rain is rearing it's ugly head for tomorrow and Sunday! And more rain at times through next Friday. UGH!

aspeck

Staff member
Got my initial picks in ... did not get the NASCAR email ...

GA_Boater

Something did get fixed. ESPN, owner of Jayski's for the past 12 years, has killed off Jayski's 22 years of Nascar coverage. Little or no notice was given on January 28 and it sounds like it was a clean out your desk and get out! So sad. This will make my Nascar threads so much harder to put together cuz much of the content was gleaned from Jayski's and other Nascar coverage just doesn't compare. Hoping for a come back away from ESPN, maybe a return to the pre-Espn days?

The 1st Cup practice results for tomorrow's qualifying - Truex, The Twerp, Jones, Reddick, TDillon, Gaughan, Hemric, DiBenedetto, Bowman and McDowell are the 10 fastest cars.

The final Cup practice is coming up at 3PM.

GA_Boater

BTW - ESPN Nascar coverage was terrible before with the only in-depth coverage coming from Jayski's. Nascar was mostly ignored outside of Jayski's.

Side note - Nascar also laid off approximately 5% of their employees 3 or 4 weeks ago.

GA_Boater

2nd and final practice before qualifying results for the 10 fastest - Wallace, TDillon, Ragan, Stenhouse, Menard, McDowell, Truex, Bowman, Byron and Elliott.

The pole locks at 12:05PM tomorrow. 5 points is 5 points!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Hey Humpty! Good to see ya back in the booth.....:D

GA_Boater

Humptyski here! LOL

Only about 15 minutes before Cup qualifying on FOX. And rain showers scattered around and moving through. In the old days Jayski's would be tweeting a storm about the storms - Alas, no more.

Bob Pockrass, also canned by ESPN at the same time as Jayski's, is tweeting from his new FOX job.

pock.PNG

Seems like a few will be starting at the back regardless of Q'ing results. :doh:

GA_Boater

If all drivers don't get a Q-Run in because of weather, the winner of the 1st Duel on Thursday will be the pole sitter per Pockrass tweet.

GA_Boater

OH NO, Darrell is back with the future of Hendrick Motor Sports, Jeff Gordon. Mikey must be lurking somewhere. :grumpy:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have the qualifying on our Canadian ESPN, TSN.. I am going to do my best to follow Nascar this year. I just don't get this heat racing. You put the pedal to the metal until you either blew the thing up or won. Having a pee break in auto racing just doesn't sit well with me. I can't enter the fantasy thing as I can't name more than a few drivers unless they have a TV commercial out there. I don't see Danica Patrick's name on the grid, thank goodness. She's a real tough guy she is/was. Nothing like a good sloberknocker donnybrook between a 115 lb girl and a man. No win situation but I wish someone would have given her a good spanking. The days of fat middle aged men named Billy Bob driving family cars turning left then left then left then left again are long gone. These guys are athletes. We snuck into the Daytona track my 1st time we went to Florida in 76'. It was amazing to see how steep those banks are, just amazing. Actually we just walked in. I don't think that can happen today.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Hendrick cars swept the top 4 spots in round 1 - Advancing to the final round Bowman Byron Elliott Johnson Logano Keso Truex Bowyer Hemric ADillon Hamlin Menard.

GA_Boater

Sprinkles with 6 cars to go. Hold off rain and let this finish!

GA_Boater

Hendrick repeated the sweep for the pole. William Byron and new crew chief Knaus are on the pole, followed by Bowman, Johnson, Elliott, Hemric, Joey, Truex, Bowyer, Keso, ADillon, Menard and Hamlin.

Next up on FS1 is the Clash at 2̶ 3PM. All remaining Speed Week track activity is on cable with FS1, until the 500 next Sunday on FOX.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Only Byron and Bowman have locked 500 starting spots. The rest of the field will be set by finishing results in Thursday's Duels.

GA_Boater

Mikey is looking like Al Gore! :eek:

Time to switch channels.

64osby

Admiral
Missed the cut off for the pole. Probably won't be the last time this happens :sleeping:

Missed 3 or 4 races last year. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Missed the cut off for the pole. Probably won't be the last time this happens :sleeping:

Missed 3 or 4 races last year. :facepalm:

But would you have picked Byron? :rolleyes: LOL

I didn't. :grumpy:

GA_Boater

Clashed for 9 laps, then the rain Clashed with the cars and track. Red flag.