Anyone been to Boston?

aspeck

Staff member
Got a quick trip to make to Boston soon ... 3 day trip and 2 days will be filled from 9-5. So, not a lot of time, but I have only driven through Boston, never stopped. So what are the things I MUST see, or where MUST I eat? Ready, GO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You must genuflect to Brady and Belichick and kiss their rings! Then maybe tpenfield can give you some pointers. Ted was there on Tuesday doing just that. :rolleyes: :lol:

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm in Boston right now. (work there) Given that it is winter, no duck boat tours. You actually have to win a major sports championship, such as a Super Bowl, to get a Boston Duck Boat Tour at this time of year. :D

The New England Boat Show starts on Feb 9th and runs through the 17th. Are you working at the boat show?

Lots of Restaurants, but it depends on what you like.

Maggiano's . . . for Italian.

The Palm . . . for American

There is Capital Grille & Morton's

Ocean Prime is a new one on Seaport Ave.

Check TripAdvisor.com for more options.

Stuff to do . . .

Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum

Faneuil Hall Market Place

The New England Aquarium

New England Holocaust Memorial

Boston Common & Skating Pond

Haymarket / Boston Marketplace

During the summer months, there is a lot more to do on the waterfront . . . boat tours, etc.

aspeck

Staff member
I wish I was working the boat show ... nope, daughter is on the college hunt and for some reason wants to check out BU, BC and Northeastern. She has always had a fascination with Boston, although she is leaning toward a school in the DC area ... has her sights set on being an Ambassador for the US at the age of 26 (preferably in an Eastern Block or Middle Eastern country ... somewhere she can make a difference). At 17, there is a lot of opportunity to change paths, but she is fixed on that right now. Anyway, we will be getting there around midnight on a Thursday and leave around 2 or 3 on Sunday with 3 college visits packed in that time frame (2 on Friday and 1 on Saturday). My head is spinning ...

Food wise, yes, we like to eat ... adventurous and like to try new and different things. We don't like to go to chain restaurants unless we have little to choose from.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW.....I have been to both of the Cheers locations to buy a T-shirt

spent a few days there for the NFPA (fire) show. spent some time at the Barking Crab near the convention center

Been to the Boston Tea Party museum

got stuck in traffic near Paul Reveres place. ended up at a small Italian place near by waiting until traffic moved. food was fantastic. couldnt tell you the name

got lost by the GPS because it couldnt identify which level of street we were on.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I love hearing youngsters ambitions, rarely does a 17 year old have any ambitions, good for her. If she really wants to get into a government position she should start campaigning for every politician she can, now. Once they make Congress,the Senate or the big White House she will have debts to be paid back.

Been to Boston many many times but that was a long time ago. Then one shouldn't go into south Boston, I'm sure and hope it has changed, Have fun on your Father Daughter road trip.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have been there a few times. If the weather is nice, try walking the freedom trail. Go to the North End and get some Italian, stop at Mike's Pastry and get a cannoli.

Don't bother looking for the original Cheers bar. A lot of grumpy locals who hate tourists.

There are a lot of really old restaurants that are pretty cool.

Union Oyster is a cool little place. You can sit in JFKs favorite booth and this restaurant was his favorite in boston.

Visit the Paul Revere places.

If you can, go snoop around Harvard for awhile. There are a lot of cool little places around the campus to eat.

tpenfield

Staff member
I wish I was working the boat show ... nope, daughter is on the college hunt and for some reason wants to check out BU, BC and Northeastern. She has always had a fascination with Boston, although she is leaning toward a school in the DC area ... has her sights set on being an Ambassador for the US at the age of 26 (preferably in an Eastern Block or Middle Eastern country ... somewhere she can make a difference). At 17, there is a lot of opportunity to change paths, but she is fixed on that right now. Anyway, we will be getting there around midnight on a Thursday and leave around 2 or 3 on Sunday with 3 college visits packed in that time frame (2 on Friday and 1 on Saturday). My head is spinning ...

Food wise, yes, we like to eat ... adventurous and like to try new and different things. We don't like to go to chain restaurants unless we have little to choose from.

Good idea to see the campuses, . . . as many as you can. I recall doing campus tours about 10 years ago with my 2 kids. Many of the schools that looked good on paper they did not find so appealing once they saw the campus. I recall one particular campus, my kid did not even want to get out of the car :rolleyes: . . . . onto the next one :)

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was sent to Mass on a business trip and got to spend a day in Boston.....in January! Nevertheless I did walk the Freedom Trail in what this Florida guy would call a blizzard ;-) Even risked my life walking across the ice-covered bridge to see Old Ironsides. It was worth the suffering. By the way, I found the locals to be unbelievably rude, but then I live in a tourist-friendly state.

aspeck

Staff member
Got back from Boston at midnight last night... the wind was horrible making the 7 1/2 hour drive home brutal. Arrived in Boston at midnight Thursday night/Friday morning. Visited Boston University, Boston College, and Northeastern. In our spare time we did Faneuil Hall, USS Constitution, Aquarium, Trolley Tours, and Boston Tea Party. Tried to get pastries at Mike’s, but the line was too long so we went across the street to Modern Pastries ... excellent tiramisu, cannoli, and “lobster.” Had a fun, albeit busy time and we will go back to Boston when we have more time to enjoy it. We will see, maybe the youngest daughter will end up in Boston for her college education?

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like you got to see some things. What restaurants did you try?

Hopefully the college of her choice will work out. College tours are somewhat of a distant memory for me.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Well, Legal Seafoods is something of a chain. but probably do seafood better than anyone else.
Charlestown Navy Yard is worth a visit Old Ironsides is there as well as The USS Cassin Young which has a self-guided tour. Ship has a great history and its namesake Captain Cassin Young does as well.

Gloucester is worth a trip, as is Salem; Cape Cod is nice, but trhere are enough songs that you can get the gist from the music. :)

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Sounds like you got to see some things. What restaurants did you try?

Hopefully the college of her choice will work out. College tours are somewhat of a distant memory for me.

We ate at Spyce ... kind of cool having a robot cook your food .. cheap and good. We did McCormick & Schmit, no impressed ... their chowder and lobster bisque were good, but the rest of the food we got lacked (lobster roll, fish tacos) ... scallops were decent. Modern Pastry had some good tiramisu, canolli, and "Lobster" pastry and not near the wait as Mike's Pastry. Legal Seafood was good. Hated to go to the chain, but we were hungry and it was right there. Wanted to do more of the italian foods of the North Side, but time was a premium.

As for colleges, right now she is leaning towards Georgetown, but BC and Northeastern are interesting. She has about 4 other schools she wants to look at right now, Princeton, Wheaton, Ill, Haverford, and Hillsdale ... but she is adding faster than removing schools. She did remove Boston U from the equation this trip.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I was in Boston all week, in the Back Bay area. I went to a very interesting restaurant Ruka. It is a Peruvian Japanese Chinese infusion. It was interesting and very good as well. I also got to go to a Bruins game was blessed to see Chara get in a real hockey fight.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I was in Boston all week, in the Back Bay area. I went to a very interesting restaurant Ruka. It is a Peruvian Japanese Chinese infusion. It was interesting and very good as well. I also got to go to a Bruins game was blessed to see Chara get in a real hockey fight.

Why in the world would anybody fight that dude? He's a giant!