Thanking Heaven for my engine heater...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My 2011 Ranger came from the factory with an engine heater. I'd never plugged it in prior to this past Monday night, but I sure did then..! And Tuesday night and Wednesday night and will again tonight. She turns over much more easily, warms up more quickly and seems to smile a little more..! Thanking the product engineers for this...! Now I wonder how I ever did without one. 'Course it doesn't get down to minus 23 F. in southern Wisconsin all that often.

82rude

Rear Admiral
-30s plus and I never use the block heater.A good battery is key .This being said I will never tell somebody not to plug their car in its your choice and cant hurt .What ever happened to battery blankets?They still around?I know its silly but I always think that if you use a block heater your spoiling the car and then it will always need one,lol.Our Canadian cars come with beaver or polarbear fur engine enclosures.:laugh:

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
82, yes I used a battery heater many years ago, until the acid fumes destroyed it. Tried dipstick heaters, even hung a couple of light bulbs down into the engine compartment with a blanket over the engine. But in the 60's and 70's the issue was more the use of breaker point ignitions and failing automatic chokes than the temperature. Now, with electronic ignition and fuel injection, it's much easier. But a polarbear fur enclosure sure wouldn't hurt..!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
'rude, remember, most AF that comes in cars is mixed at 50%/50%. only good to -32

if you have a block heater, use it when the temp is that cold

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I have taken an oil pan add some charcoal, light it and when the flames are gone like that oil pan under the engine, that dead car will start in an hour.

bigdee

Commander
Ha,ha I was getting ready to post something similar but you beat me to it. Seen my dad take hot coals out of heater and place them under the oil pan on his 1949 chevy deluxe.