Heated clothing

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I finally bucked up and spent the $ to get a heated hoodie, I purchased a milwaukee brand. It is wonderful the heat is from the shoulders to the hips keeps my back loose and comfortable in the cold weather.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If its anything like my heated socks, pull the battery when you come in doors

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I had a Pipefitter that made his own heated coveralls with heating pads. The problem was he couldn't work further than 30 feet from a 110 outlet. I have never had luck with heated clothing other than the chemical pouches one puts in gloves or boots. Temp control is the issue, too hot and you sweat, that's the killer in the North, once your skin is damp or wet you will never get warm. I worked on the docks for years throughout the winter moving materials for the Steel Mills.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Glad it's working out for you. I tend to agree with member Old Iron maker. If you're sitting still, and the heated clothing is not too hot as to make you sweat, then great. But once you start working and producing your own heat, you need to open up a bit to prevent perspiration.
Years ago, friends of mine had those motorcycle jackets that plugged into the bike. They seemed to be good, but again, your just sitting there not creating your own heat.
When I used to deer hunt we would to trek into the woods about 5 miles to our favorite hunting spot. My brother-in-law always wanted to hustle in there. I however would unzip my jacket and take my time. With his method, you would be soaked when you got to your "spot" and would have to sit all day freezing. It was literally all day from sun up to sun down, sitting in one spot. Not really that fun if you start out with wet undergarments.
I was taught early on to wear silk socks under my heavy socks. Silk will not absorb moisture, so your feet will stay dry. It's all about keeping your skin dry.
All these modern man made high tech materials sold now are great. Polypropylene, Under Armour, etc...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A trick an old timer that ran locomotives in the plant told me was to wear woolen socks and turn them inside out. That way the ribbing from the socks don't interfere with circulation to the feet. Wool absorbs body sweat so the skin isn't wet. The exact opposite of wearing silk like poconojoe mentions. If the outer garment doesn't absorb the moisture your skin will stay wet, no? But what do we know up here in Canada? We use the metric system and everyone that doesn't get is confused everyday, especially shopping for viddles.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
The idea of the silk under the wool sock is that the wool wicks off the moisture and the silk acts as a dry liner.
Metric, based on ten's, makes so much more sense.
Take inches for instance...12 inches, sixteenths, eighths, quarters, etc.. Too complicated.
We were "supposed" to switch over to that system years ago in the U.S. I remember 45-50 years ago our school teachers told us we needed to learn metric. Never happened.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Old Ironmaker ,I worked 34.6 years at Algoma Steel and metric was never used, with but one or 2 exceptions ,that's it.Always found that odd seeing as how were in Canada.Worked one winter on the west warf right by the coke ovens.A steaming hell in the winter.To this day I prefer all my measurements in imperial.Getting back on topic im a big fan of wool for winter and my big leather snowmobile jacket for when its really miserable out.I loved the heavy WindRiver sweaters but they don't make them anymore ,curses be upon them!Guess they were too good and lasted too long so we cant have that!

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I am soon to be 53 I am a minnesota native that lives in a rural area and am quit active outside during the winter. I am also a deer hunter used to sitting for hours motionless in a tree. My point is that I know how to dress for cold weather, I do not need to be told what materials are best, or how to dress. My heated hoodie has 3 temperature settings and it is ideal for me. I would reckoned it to anyone who is active in the winter cold.

foodfisher

Captain
Woolies-Logging in the Alaskan panhandle near Ketchican in the late sixties, the weather was usually cold and wet. Woolies kept us warm and dry.:rolleyes: Since then I've drifted as far south as I could and still be in the U.S. Still use those woolies for the occasional cold hunt in Utah.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The idea of the silk under the wool sock is that the wool wicks off the moisture and the silk acts as a dry liner.

Take inches for instance...12 inches, sixteenths, eighths, quarters, etc.. Too complicated.
We were "supposed" to switch over to that system years ago in the U.S. I remember 45-50 years ago our school teachers told us we needed to learn metric. Never happened.

Yes @ 82rude I remember you worked at the Soo so you are too familiar with staying warm and cool. As for the metric system, Stelco Hamilton stayed on the Imperial system and the Nanticoke plant 1 and 1/2 hours away went to Metric. Talk about mass confusion at a meeting or a phone call to your counterpart on shift. What in the Lord's name is a gigglebar?

poconojoe, I had better start reading something more than a few times. Yes I get that. Similar to layering for the torso and legs. 3 thin layers of the proper material is better than 1 thick layer of anything. The same goes for heat protection in the summer months.

@DeepSeaMark58A. I don't think anyone here is telling you how to dress for the cold. It's called Dockside Chat for a reason. If you just wanted to let us know what you bought, that's great too. I bought a few 2X4's and 2 sheets of 1/2" drywall on Friday.

dwco5051

Commander

My father used to tell me "if the good Lord wanted us to use metric he would have had only 10 disciples." My college room mate was plant engineer for Goodyear over in Belfast when the change was being implemented and he claims he still has nightmares of those times.

82rude

Rear Admiral
A heated hoodie is probably a good idea as lots of heat is lost through the head.I use my Russian style fur hat and that thing is very warm.Badge is optional
black-ushanka.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
Opps I just reread the first post and realized the hoodie itself is not heated at the head.I believe I saw that system at tsc not long ago.

aspeck

Staff member
I get too hot too quickly ... I had a sweatshirt only on today while shoveling and plowing ... started out at 35F degrees and ended just above 20F. Then in the late afternoon when I. The lower teens I went out on the back porch In the same attire and reworked some gas lines so I could use my grill and the gas outdoor fireplace that I got for Christmas at the same time. I generally don’t put on a jacket till it gets in the single digits. Said all that to say that all things work for all people.

i do like alpaca wool socks, though.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Nothing to do with a keeping warm hat but,,,,,,,metric is much simpler than Imperial, standard in the States I think, not sure. That is as long as everyone thinks in Metric and not trying to do the math to go back to Imperial. Then it can get complicated. I try and tell my wife 500 grams is a bit less than a pound. Her way of shopping is if a good meal for dinner for 2 is 10 bucks or less she buys it. ??????????

This is a perfect example of a thread going off track. How does that happen? So often.

oldrem

Commander
Since most of my cordless tools are Dewalt I bought the Dewalt heated jacket in camo for late bow hunting season. I always walk into the woods in just a shirt on and my jacket, hood, gloves etc in a backpack - then dress up as needed as I start to lose body heat. I've used the jacket for 3 seasons now and love it.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Since most of my cordless tools are Dewalt I bought the Dewalt heated jacket in camo for late bow hunting season. I always walk into the woods in just a shirt on and my jacket, hood, gloves etc in a backpack - then dress up as needed as I start to lose body heat. I've used the jacket for 3 seasons now and love it.

Modern technology...sometimes it's good, sometimes just more trouble or just a plain hassle!
In the case of heated clothing, it seems to be a good thing!

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I love it when I go up to do the horse chores at night, I really don't move around enough to warm up, but the hoodie keeps me warm.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Back when I was still religiously hunting, I would take a nice sleeping bag rolled up with me into the deer stand. Then I would step into the sleeping bag and pull it up to just above my waist and even take off my boots. I would stay very comfortable that way and could stay in the stand longer. But when you are sitting for long periods of time, your feet will get cold from lack of movement. That was taken care of with the sleeping bag setup.

But my stands were 4' by 4' with walls all the way around. I very sturdy solid deer stand. I even used one of the new camo patterns and had exterior paints mixed to match that camo. I painted the stands to match the surroundings. And since they set in the woods year round, they blended in perfectly.

I have tried about every type hand warmer made and some work really well. Like the catalytic fuel type works the best. But they also put off a smell. So you have to weigh every option.

And unlike fishing, I was pretty successful hunting year in and year out.