Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Not a bad way to go...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a bad way to go...

This showed up on my FB feed. I think I could do this, as long as I knew someone would take on my faithful Aussie Zeke at the end.

https://www.nola.com/news/2019/01/af...HiU8KM5YtWSPis

Click image for larger version

Name:	Last trip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	10695242
    Last edited by harringtondav; January 10th, 2019, 02:47 PM.
    '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

More power to him. I have thought along the same lines for a couple of years now. Down sides are what happens to my my dog if I pass where no one knows me, how to handle mobile banking so I don't have to carry large sums of cash, how to avoid states with stupid laws about cc permits, and would my wife let me go.
    The last suit you wear won't need any pockets. You might as well spend it on a boat.

Comment

Be nice if there was someone else there to help him towards the end,
      someone who could cope with all the issues that may arise,

what sort of beastie is a Aussie Zeke?
      l'm an aussie, never heard of said critter.

Comment

Name:	Zeke winter.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	10695404
        Originally posted by Tassie 1 View Post

what sort of beastie is a Aussie Zeke?
        l'm an aussie, never heard of said critter.
        Australian Shepard. Misnomer since he's an American breed. Developed by Basque shepherds who migrated from Australia to California sheep ranches in the late 1800 - early 1900s. Great herders, wonderful loyal, smart pets, as long as you can keep up with their energy. He's one of several Collie cousins.
        '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Ah yes...
          definitely a misnomer
          about 18 months or so ago had a " discussion " with a US online stranger who insisted that it was a local ( oz ) breed of dog,
          l put up a link to the KCC site re the origins of the breed,

you have posted the same info re the Basque influence,
          though l did read an article with a 1930's reference to the dog

nope, this bloke wouldn't have it even though the only breeders listed on both KCC sites were all in the U S

seen similar looking dishlickers here but they weren't called Aussie shepherds,
          thanks for confirming that,

cheers

Comment

What a way to go. I watched my Dad suffer through chemo for lung cancer that took him away and my first wife fought uterine cancer for over a year before it took her from me. If I was told that I could do chemo and have another 5 years.....maybe, but to be that sick just trying to prolong the inevitable, not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Mechmagcn View Post
              What a way to go. I watched my Dad suffer through chemo for lung cancer that took him away and my first wife fought uterine cancer for over a year before it took her from me. If I was told that I could do chemo and have another 5 years.....maybe, but to be that sick just trying to prolong the inevitable, not happening.
              Yes. The link addresses this directly. MDs struggle in letting patients go with some remaining life quality. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/being-mortal/

Comment

My Dad had glioblastoma multiforme & the 12 year anniversary of his passing was last week. Once it was determined that the chemo was ineffective, he started radiation. Things went downhill quickly from there.

I have stage 4 liver and lung cancer. Chemo is working and I'll keep after it for 2 more months. Tumors are shrinking. If they say welp, that's stopped working and tell me radiation is next, I'll say adios.Radiation destroyed my Dad's remaining quality of life. I love river boating as that's mainly the water I grew up on (Missouri).

Comment

I told my girlfriend a few years ago, if I were to be given a terminal diagnosis I will be paddling across Lake Michigan in my kayak. (won't take my dog with). I do not plan to complete that trip.

I have no desire to go through the chemo/surgeries/drugs etc trying to postpone your life only to still die and then be penniless after paying med bills.

Comment

I'd like to take a jet boat as far as I can from South Cove, AZ up the Colorado,. Or maybe Willow Beach to Hoover Dam. Simple day trips once I get there.

Comment

Originally posted by sam60 View Post
                      My Dad had glioblastoma multiforme & the 12 year anniversary of his passing was last week. Once it was determined that the chemo was ineffective, he started radiation. Things went downhill quickly from there.

I have stage 4 liver and lung cancer. Chemo is working and I'll keep after it for 2 more months. Tumors are shrinking. If they say welp, that's stopped working and tell me radiation is next, I'll say adios.Radiation destroyed my Dad's remaining quality of life. I love river boating as that's mainly the water I grew up on (Missouri).
                      I'm trying this for my kidney cancer. Testimonials include lung. https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9...pWK2cYsqZtdyo-
                      When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

Originally posted by Tassie 1 View Post
                        Ah yes...
                        definitely a misnomer
                        about 18 months or so ago had a " discussion " with a US online stranger who insisted that it was a local ( oz ) breed of dog,
                        l put up a link to the KCC site re the origins of the breed,

you have posted the same info re the Basque influence,
                        though l did read an article with a 1930's reference to the dog

nope, this bloke wouldn't have it even though the only breeders listed on both KCC sites were all in the U S

seen similar looking dishlickers here but they weren't called Aussie shepherds,
                        thanks for confirming that,

cheers
                        I'm guessing the guy is confused with the Australian Cattle Dog, aka Blue Heeler. Dingo descendant.

Name:	Australian-Cattle-Dog-On-White-03.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	10697371

Comment

Originally posted by harringtondav View Post

I'm guessing the guy is confused with the Australian Cattle Dog, aka Blue Heeler. Dingo descendant.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":10697371**[/ATTACH]
                          Locally this dog is known as a Queensland ( Qld) heeler, red or blue depending on flavor,

more often than not just called red or blue heeler,
                          working dog from Qld sheep and cattle stations, like the kelpie,
                          bit of a heinz 57 variety,

tough, feisty, loyal but can be aggresive, will fight anything,
                          scrub bulls, grumpy rams and wild pigs,

or teenage paper boys in the 70's

Comment

Working...
                          X