Catch a Contractor TV

alldodge

Staff member
Think were getting way off track of the thread, but....
My sister paid to get her daughter a masters in architecture engineering, and she has never worked in the field and now works at target as a sales associate :facepalm: Says she doesn't want to move

harringtondav

Commander
Think were getting way off track of the thread, but....
My sister paid to get her daughter a masters in architecture engineering, and she has never worked in the field and now works at target as a sales associate :facepalm: Says she doesn't want to move

Yea. Son's doing very well, but somewhat of an ingrate. He's mostly left us in the dust. When he calls he generally has an owie. But I cave. That blood thing, I guess.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My two retaining walls are ground contact lumber, coated with basement pitch waterproofing goo. locked into concrete/block footings. I used lumber tie backs on the 9' high wall, anchored into a buried beam behind concrete cylinders. The 5' wall is tied back with 5/16" SS cable anchored into a buried concrete log. All are well drained at three levels along the wall, plus more tile in the retained field.

My son is a structural engineer, so I've asked him to spec the concrete wall. The least he can do for that master's degree we paid for. Still waiting on the design.

Most people don't think of water and the behind the scenes would erosion that can happen which many time can be solved by fifty bucks of plastic. My dad in Seattle included on a 50k jobjob. Most all was very nice but on zero of his walls was this done properly which is a shame 20 years later that a few hundred bucks wasn't put in by the contrctor....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That is my frustration Redneck joe. I know exactly what to do and how to do it but my body won't let me. This getting old sucks. Going on 4 months since I woke up with a stiff neck. Arthritis everywhere, no cure and it might not get any better. I'm 2" shorter than in Sept. Either that or everyone is 2" taller

Good news for me is I'm almost done with any heavy work on this place....

Good news for you is it you hang around tall women the view is easier to see without being obvious.....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Whenever I need a good chuckle I come to Dockside Chat on iboats.com!!!!!!

Living right on the lakeshore of Erie we know a bit about retaining walls. Just yesterday an old friend of 51 years came by and we talked about the retaining wall we built for his Dad in 1971 after school. Drainage, and more drainage, I remember I drove the dump truck from the quarry and brought in many tons of crushed limestone, then hand bombed it and the 12 foot ties another 200 feet into the yard. The 15 foot high and 70 feet wide wall of railway ties is still there. No Engineers were harmed during the build. That may have something to do with me being all crippled up today.

My God Daughter, his little girl lives there with Husband and their 1st child.

harringtondav

Commander
Whenever I need a good chuckle I come to Dockside Chat on iboats.com!!!!!!
That may have something to do with me being all crippled up today.

So true. I hand built two 40' long timber retaining walls, one 9', other 5'. Hand dug, hand mixed concrete footings. My neighbors remarked at the cost and effort. I told them I only had so much juice left, and it was fading fast, so I was going to front load the efforts, while I could.

I finished the walls and two decks just under the wire. The pain management Doc. has kept me away from the Neurosurgeon, for now. But my heavy lifting days are over.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
So true. I hand built two 40' long timber retaining walls, one 9', other 5'. Hand dug, hand mixed concrete footings. My neighbors remarked at the cost and effort. I told them I only had so much juice left, and it was fading fast, so I was going to front load the efforts, while I could.

I finished the walls and two decks just under the wire. The pain management Doc. has kept me away from the Neurosurgeon, for now. But my heavy lifting days are over.

Man I hear you. On December 7th, 2017 I needed to move the StarCraft. I actually took the dolly jack out of the shed and was going to jack the tongue up as it was lower than the ball on the Chevy. I said "come on man, you used to leg press over 700 lbs, you woose" tongue weight isn't much over 200 lbs. So I lean over and go to pick up the tongue to slide a board under it, she was frozen into the grass. The 1st think I heard was the crunching in my lower back, then the electrical shocks going down my legs and me hitting the gravel. Nothing wrong with my lungs my neighbour 300 feet down the lane heard me screaming like a 2 year old baby in his sound sleep. The rest is history. I can no longer carry a case of 24 beer, I need to buy 2 12 pacs, and pay more. My back is fine as long as I don't use it. I must remember I'm 64 not 34 and that's tough to deal with.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
old ironboy, read you sig line for good measure.....

I'm back home visiting my brother in Springfield MO and he drove me past a house where (i had forgotten) I did a retaining wall about 1996. Other than where the church folks have backed into it, still looks good.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
old ironboy, read you sig line for good measure.....

No kidding Joe. But that was the experience part. Not to long ago I was hand bombing 100 lb pieces of firewood up and into the truck, and splitting and piling it. I don't even have a wood burning stove, did it for a friend. That reminds me I haven't heard from him since I broke my back.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah dad is pushing 80 and he splits a few ricks each year. I don't think i'l make it that far.