Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Catch a Contractor TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
    The Admiral and I installed about that distance a couple times using the interlocking stones. If your going that route, the hardest part is get the first row flat and level and buried. Once that's done, its easy
    It's a wall along our road. Four feet of fall on 40' of road, with 1' fall on the grade. I designed it as concrete. Locking blocks (Top Block) are $5 each up here. So a block installation will require a good hand on the transit, lots of labor, and still have a ragged top. But I'll work out the best solution with my prime choice contractor, if he ever calls me back. He's good, and busy.

I figure I handled over 340 60# bags of Sackrete, four times each on the first two walls, plus beaucoup 4x4s, 6x6s and 16' 2x12s. My heavy lifting days are over. I think I can handle the framing, drywall etc. for the basement...maybe.

'96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Once that's done, its easy
      Just thinking about what I need to do my back starts to throb.

Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

Just thinking about what I need to do my back starts to throb.
        Understand

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_306764.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	10695172
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Many walls are built, some aren't. If the wall is retaining some material, often soil, it should be designed to consider the needs for tie-backs, simple geogrids, and what its face needs to do (if anything). As with many things, consider water as it is often the killer of these things. Then, once it's designed, make sure it's built according to the design. If a (proper) design includes measures to handle water (often results in significant forces), make sure it's built accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by garbageguy View Post
            Many walls are built, some aren't. If the wall is retaining some material, often soil, it should be designed to consider the needs for tie-backs, simple geogrids, and what its face needs to do (if anything). As with many things, consider water as it is often the killer of these things. Then, once it's designed, make sure it's built according to the design. If a (proper) design includes measures to handle water (often results in significant forces), make sure it's built accordingly.
            My two retaining walls are ground contact lumber, coated with basement pitch waterproofing goo. locked into concrete/block footings. I used lumber tie backs on the 9' high wall, anchored into a buried beam behind concrete cylinders. The 5' wall is tied back with 5/16" SS cable anchored into a buried concrete log. All are well drained at three levels along the wall, plus more tile in the retained field.

My son is a structural engineer, so I've asked him to spec the concrete wall. The least he can do for that master's degree we paid for. Still waiting on the design.
            '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Think were getting way off track of the thread, but....
              My sister paid to get her daughter a masters in architecture engineering, and she has never worked in the field and now works at target as a sales associate Says she doesn't want to move
              94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
              95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
              07 Seadoo GTX
              Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
              G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Think were getting way off track of the thread, but....
                My sister paid to get her daughter a masters in architecture engineering, and she has never worked in the field and now works at target as a sales associate Says she doesn't want to move
                Yea. Son's doing very well, but somewhat of an ingrate. He's mostly left us in the dust. When he calls he generally has an owie. But I cave. That blood thing, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by harringtondav View Post

My two retaining walls are ground contact lumber, coated with basement pitch waterproofing goo. locked into concrete/block footings. I used lumber tie backs on the 9' high wall, anchored into a buried beam behind concrete cylinders. The 5' wall is tied back with 5/16" SS cable anchored into a buried concrete log. All are well drained at three levels along the wall, plus more tile in the retained field.

My son is a structural engineer, so I've asked him to spec the concrete wall. The least he can do for that master's degree we paid for. Still waiting on the design.
                  Most people don't think of water and the behind the scenes would erosion that can happen which many time can be solved by fifty bucks of plastic. My dad in Seattle included on a 50k jobjob. Most all was very nice but on zero of his walls was this done properly which is a shame 20 years later that a few hundred bucks wasn't put in by the contrctor....
                  1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

That is my frustration Redneck joe. I know exactly what to do and how to do it but my body won't let me. This getting old sucks. Going on 4 months since I woke up with a stiff neck. Arthritis everywhere, no cure and it might not get any better. I'm 2" shorter than in Sept. Either that or everyone is 2" taller
                    Good news for me is I'm almost done with any heavy work on this place....

Good news for you is it you hang around tall women the view is easier to see without being obvious.....
                    1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

I love your sense of humor RJ.

Comment

Working...
                      X