Vaping vs. smoking

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Both are disgusting. Makes me want to Retch when I see either being exhaled

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JoLin... Hang in there bud. Praying that your treatments work. Hindsight is a painful tool sometimes.
My dad smoked for years and tried many times to quit. Later in life he was faced with emergency surgery that scared the doctors due to his years of smoking (and, admittedly, the extra 60 pounds he carried). They waited too long and dad wasn't able to recover. I've never smoked - mainly due to watching my mom and dad wrestle with it. My older 2 girls never dared try smoking.... but this vape thing is "acceptible" to the younger 2 because it doesn't have that "nasty cigarette" smell. I'm convinced they will eventually condem the health aspect of these things.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I was growing up, cigs were real easy to get, you could walk down around town the vendors on street corners gave away 10 packs, what they call sampler packs, when you flew if you forget your cigs, the stews would bring you a pack of matches and give you a 10 pack sampler of whatever brand they had on board, when you went in the service, cigs were cheap and if you were deployed you often got a pack in your gear.

I know people now find it disgusting, but when I was young, it was accepted and you were encouraged to smoke...

Many didn't grow up with the Marlboro Man, John Wayne saying he would walk a mile for a Camel, I would rather fight than switch and comone on a taste me!

Those advertisements, much to our despair now a days were very effective, think of your kids and grandkids that want those new fangled game boxes they see on TV, different products back then, but same effective advertising.

bigdee

Commander
there is more nicotine in vap then in cigs, so the addiction is greater

Not so....you can control nicotine amount when you order vape juice. My wife vapes with zero nicotine. She used to buy it but now I make it it for her. I use a bottle of vegetable glycerin and add a few drops of spearmint oil to it. She quit smoking and started vaping 10 years ago because of copd....after 10 years of vaping her lungs are clear.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was lucky. When I was much younger, I really wanted to look cool and smoke all the time. Fortunately. my body rejected that idea and inflicted me with throat irritation so severe that there was no way to complete even one full cigarette. Without that blessing in disguise, I am absolutely sure I would have become addicted and probably dead many years ago.

oldrem

Commander
I'm approaching 10 years of vaping and haven't touched a cigarette since. I was a chain smoker for 41 years (4-1/2 packs a day) and decided I needed to do something when I hit 60. My wife followed suit 9 months later. My lungs cleared after a couple months, and I feel much better for it. I sure don't miss burned clothes and car seats, dirty ash trays, stains and all that.

Some of my friends that followed suit are now using a 0 nicotine solution. Eventually I hope to wean myself down to that as well.

bigdee

Commander
I'm approaching 10 years of vaping and haven't touched a cigarette since. I was a chain smoker for 41 years (4-1/2 packs a day) and decided I needed to do something when I hit 60. My wife followed suit 9 months later. My lungs cleared after a couple months, and I feel much better for it. I sure don't miss burned clothes and car seats, dirty ash trays, stains and all that.

Some of my friends that followed suit are now using a 0 nicotine solution. Eventually I hope to wean myself down to that as well.

Congrats.....I wish people would see the benefits of vaping and the number of lives saved by using them instead of smoking. It is crazy that we are legalizing marijuana and bad mouthing vaping.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As a non-smoking son of a heavy smoker (now deceased because of it) I can offer the following comments.

I absolutely detest, to the point where it makes me gag, the smell, nay reek, of cigarette smoke. Smokers think once they exit the smoking room it's all gone. It's not. It sticks in their clothes and their breath is foul with it. I've had to leave rooms because of it... I can even smell it in a car ahead of me. It's foul. Should be a complete ban on smoking in public places, and yes, roads are public places.

Now, vapping. No problem at all. In fact, some of the mixes actually smell quite pleasant.

So, the take-out from my comment. Smokers, you may not be able to smell it, by trust me, non-smokers can. And it's extremely unpleasant. Please, have some consideration. I don't urinate in your coffee, please don't pollute up my air. Yes, when I can, I move away, but sometimes, like at my work desk, I don't have that option.

Chris......

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
As a non-smoking son of a heavy smoker (now deceased because of it) I can offer the following comments.

I absolutely detest, to the point where it makes me gag, the smell, nay reek, of cigarette smoke. Smokers think once they exit the smoking room it's all gone. It's not. It sticks in their clothes and their breath is foul with it. I've had to leave rooms because of it... I can even smell it in a car ahead of me. It's foul. Should be a complete ban on smoking in public places, and yes, roads are public places.

So, the take-out from my comment. Smokers, you may not be able to smell it, by trust me, non-smokers can. And it's extremely unpleasant. Please, have some consideration. I don't urinate in your coffee, please don't pollute up my air. Yes, when I can, I move away, but sometimes, like at my work desk, I don't have that option.

Chris......

They don't have legislation banning Smoking in the workplace where you live?

I like you have trouble even breathing when within 100 ft of Tobacco Smoke. It makes me want to get very violent. Back 30 yrs ago when smoking was still allowed at the Workplace or in Restaurants, if I was eating and anyone lit up. even if they were 50 ft behind me, I would throw up into the plate within 2 seconds. Ruined many other peoples dinner, but I always said, Blame him/her for lighting up the Stench Stick.
When I was a Teenager, at Christmas Dinner, my dads brother, who finished first, did the "Mind if I Smoke?" thing at the table. I just replied, "Mind if I Fart?". He got bent out of shape and was crying to my dad how disrespectful I was. The old man did give me hell about it, but I stood my ground

Last edited:

ezbtr

Commander
Don't do either!!!
I'm 54 - I finally quit for good, cold turkey (tried patches, pills, vape, etc and failed) after we had JUST moved to Texas from N. CA. - got stuck in the hospital w/ bronchitis(again), flu, fever, viruses, short of breath, sick as hell, they xrayed, MRI'd me inside out, didn't find a thing, doc told me I dodged a bullet after 28 ish years, last one I had/quit day was 10/18/17, still have a few in some packs in my man cave closet and Mustang console, I leave them there to remind me.
In the first 3 months I saved enough cash (and after buying newer house) to buy a H&K 9mm and a 20 GA Remington pump (for gf Vday), NEW from pawn shop, can't spend my money if I'm dead :)
If I can do it ANYONE CAN (1.5 packs a day) haven't had ONE puff since, did gain about 12-15 pounds though, but hey the gf makes home made bread that's GOOD ;)
Good luck, the urges diminish, you'll feel and smell better FAST!!

Heinz

Last edited: