Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Vaping vs. smoking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I smoked for more than 40 years. Tried vaping, a pipe, cigars, you name it. I finally quit inhaling anything a year ago, but I'm still hooked on nicotine in the form of (Walmart brand) nicotine lozenges. I don't even worry about quitting that anymore because of the other problems I developed...

I was dignosed with emphysema 8 years ago. I guess I'm lucky because it hasn't progressed much in the last 5 years. It still limits me quite a bit, and humid days force me to stay inside, off the boat, twiddling my thumbs in the A/C.

3 months ago, following an ER visit for an excruciating pain in my gut. I was dignosed with metastaic melanoma. It's spread through many of my internal organs. I have little doubt that this is my death sentence. I'm 65 years old. I'm working with a great oncology team and we're trying different immunotherapy treatments to temporarily slow or halt the progression. While they're leaps and bounds over the "old" radiation and chemotherapy treatments of 10 years ago, they aren't without risk. My first go-around with an aggressive 2-part treatment (Optivo and Yervoy) was very successful. Tumors shrank almost immdeiatly, but the side effect was a severe case of colitis that, 4 weeks later, we finally seem to be clearing up.

In the meantime, immuno is on hold until we can try something else. Imagine the frustration of finding a treatment that immediately worked miracles, but can no longer be used! I forgot to mention that an additional 18 lesions were found in my brain. I opted for a "Gamma knife" procedure which affords a very precise targeting of each of those leasions. That also worked, but the 2-chemical immuno treatment was also designed to keep shrinking them. Again, that option is now off the table. The proceure itself was a very unpleasant 12=hour day with a metal cage pinned to my skull. They use that to bolt your head to a table so they can precisely aim the radiation, one lesion at a time.

The point of this post is that I would urge everyone not to inhale ANYTHING into your lungs. Vaping? It isn't just nicotine that you're inhaling. It's contained in a supposedly harmless glycol base. What are the long-term effects of that? Nobody knows.

If I had wised up in my 30's I might not be facing any of this crap. I was stupid and arrogant. Be smarter than me.

My .02
    Last edited by JoLin; January 6th, 2019, 08:24 AM.
    John and Linda
    Long Island, NY
    Escapade III
    1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
    Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

Originally posted by DeepCMark58A View Post
      I am going to start smoking when I am 80, camel straights.
      I'm going to start doing drugs too. Stupid Stick is fully legal here in Canada now. What a mess they have on their hands supplying it. Gov. recalls on MJ already. The latest just a few weeks ago was a Gov. supply of it covered in mould. It's double or more the price of Black Market stuff.
      Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

[QUOTE=gm280;n10693757]I
        I have sadly seen people dying from lung cancer and if they would post such people on line and TV for the world to see, that would certainly prompt others to quit.

Folks, my neighbor died a slow painful very sad death that he would have given anything to never smoked and ended his life in such a lung cancer way. Very good friend that stopped smoking well after the damage was done. I miss him...

All of the packs here in Canada have warning labels. Some show black rotten lungs and some TV commercials have a woam speaking through the thing they have once their voice boxes are removed. Very graphic but it hasn't stopped anyone. The number of youngsters smoking cigs has actually gone up.
        Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

I'm going to start doing drugs too. Stupid Stick is fully legal here in Canada now. What a mess they have on their hands supplying it. Gov. recalls on MJ already. The latest just a few weeks ago was a Gov. supply of it covered in mould. It's double or more the price of Black Market stuff.
          In USA I cringe anytime Uncle Sam tries to get his mitts on something. MJ is becoming legal in more and more states. And the states let free enterprise reign, and collect significant tax revenue. Since MJ is illegal, the Fed govt lays low, probably wishing for a cut of the action.
          '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Haven't had a cigarette in nearly 6 months. Started with a Juul vape until the nicotine became too much. Eventually got down to 0% nicotine content juices, until I got over the oral fixation. Haven't touched the vape for a few weeks now.

Comment

Both are disgusting. Makes me want to Retch when I see either being exhaled

Comment

JoLin... Hang in there bud. Praying that your treatments work. Hindsight is a painful tool sometimes.
                My dad smoked for years and tried many times to quit. Later in life he was faced with emergency surgery that scared the doctors due to his years of smoking (and, admittedly, the extra 60 pounds he carried). They waited too long and dad wasn't able to recover. I've never smoked - mainly due to watching my mom and dad wrestle with it. My older 2 girls never dared try smoking.... but this vape thing is "acceptible" to the younger 2 because it doesn't have that "nasty cigarette" smell. I'm convinced they will eventually condem the health aspect of these things.
                2016 Crownline 21SS, 350 MAG MPI
                Central Indiana with jaunts to Lake Cumberland.
                1991 Rinker 206 Captiva - 4.3L Merc, 1988 Supra Mariah 21 - 351 Clevland, 1985 Ebbtide 19ft - 305 Merc, 1982 Rinker 17ft - 90 Evinrude,1963 Skiff Craft16 ft - 85 hp Merc

Comment

When I was growing up, cigs were real easy to get, you could walk down around town the vendors on street corners gave away 10 packs, what they call sampler packs, when you flew if you forget your cigs, the stews would bring you a pack of matches and give you a 10 pack sampler of whatever brand they had on board, when you went in the service, cigs were cheap and if you were deployed you often got a pack in your gear.

I know people now find it disgusting, but when I was young, it was accepted and you were encouraged to smoke...

Many didn't grow up with the Marlboro Man, John Wayne saying he would walk a mile for a Camel, I would rather fight than switch and comone on a taste me!

Those advertisements, much to our despair now a days were very effective, think of your kids and grandkids that want those new fangled game boxes they see on TV, different products back then, but same effective advertising.

Comment

JoLin, keep fighting! Sending good thoughts your way...
                    Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
                      there is more nicotine in vap then in cigs, so the addiction is greater
                      Not so....you can control nicotine amount when you order vape juice. My wife vapes with zero nicotine. She used to buy it but now I make it it for her. I use a bottle of vegetable glycerin and add a few drops of spearmint oil to it. She quit smoking and started vaping 10 years ago because of copd....after 10 years of vaping her lungs are clear.
                      The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

I was lucky. When I was much younger, I really wanted to look cool and smoke all the time. Fortunately. my body rejected that idea and inflicted me with throat irritation so severe that there was no way to complete even one full cigarette. Without that blessing in disguise, I am absolutely sure I would have become addicted and probably dead many years ago.
                        Mariah Shabah Z202 5.7L Mercruiser B3
                        Jensen Marine 1972 Cal 21 cabin sloop
                        Retired EE of 45 years

Comment

I'm approaching 10 years of vaping and haven't touched a cigarette since. I was a chain smoker for 41 years (4-1/2 packs a day) and decided I needed to do something when I hit 60. My wife followed suit 9 months later. My lungs cleared after a couple months, and I feel much better for it. I sure don't miss burned clothes and car seats, dirty ash trays, stains and all that.

Some of my friends that followed suit are now using a 0 nicotine solution. Eventually I hope to wean myself down to that as well.
                          - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

Originally posted by oldrem View Post
                            I'm approaching 10 years of vaping and haven't touched a cigarette since. I was a chain smoker for 41 years (4-1/2 packs a day) and decided I needed to do something when I hit 60. My wife followed suit 9 months later. My lungs cleared after a couple months, and I feel much better for it. I sure don't miss burned clothes and car seats, dirty ash trays, stains and all that.

Some of my friends that followed suit are now using a 0 nicotine solution. Eventually I hope to wean myself down to that as well.
                            Congrats.....I wish people would see the benefits of vaping and the number of lives saved by using them instead of smoking. It is crazy that we are legalizing marijuana and bad mouthing vaping.
                            The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

Working...
                            X