Lost my mentor....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sorry, haven't been around the last two weeks. Lost dad suddenly

November 30th, dad calls, says he is in the hospital, should be out in a few days. not unusual the past few years he has been in and out for vascular related issues.

December 1st, dad calls, says he doesn't feel right - says something to do with the kidneys, should be out in a week or so, i talk to the nurse, ask to talk to the doc. Nurse says he has CRS, his kidneys are shutting down due to the congestive heart failure.

December 2nd, I call dad, he sounds stressed, Nurse recommends getting up there ASAP. No word from the doc yet.

December 3rd, dad says he loves me....Tammy and I immediately search for flights, unable to find any that we can afford or that would get there prior to Tuesday evening, we throw some luggage and two of the dogs into the truck and drive up to WI from FL. hit some traffic in Nashville and Rockford, so the trip took about 24 hours vs the normal 21.

December 4th, feedback from family is grim. see dad late afternoon, he doesn't look good, however seems to recognize that Tammy and I are there. after a few hours and some talk with the doc/nursing staff, we retire for the evening to come back in the morning.

December 5th, Dad passed prior to us making it to the hospital that morning. His baby sister and older brother show up a bit later.

December 6-11 were a blur of arrangements, probate attorneys, family, and visits to his place in the north woods looking for information

Dad's memorial was 12/11/18. http://www.harriganparksidefuneralhome.com/obituary/james-danforth

December 12th, one last trip to dad's place to clean up some stuff and secure it. Then we headed back to FL

Dad was my fishing/hunting mentor. He started me boating when i was a new born and started my wrench-turning hobby when I was 3. My first BB gun was when i was 4. went hunting with him from the age of 5 on. almost every picture we had was on a fishing or hunting trip. there were also a few from Christmas

We found out that dad waited to go to the hospital because he wanted to get some bills paid. That is who dad was. independent, stubborn and more focused on everything except his health.

Now the hard part of selling his place on the Menominee River, selling his vehicles, liquidating the estate and following dads will. His request was a fitting inscription on the grave marker....

so we found one with a Northern on the line.... simply has beloved father and grand father, James L Danforth, 1944-2018, and the final line of GONE FISHING.

RIP dad, hope your fishing with Grandpa.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's hard, Scott. Thanks for sharing what is a difficult time.

Rest in peace, Mr. Danforth and enjoy the fishing where the big one never gets away after a good fight.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It's is a tough one Scott. We lost Mom this past August. Your Dad was only 10 years older than I. But it sounds like he had a full life and a wonderful Son. Dealing with the estate is a daunting task. My brothers and I have hired a professional to deal with Mom's estate.

Our sincerest condolences to your family and yourself Scott.

alldodge

Staff member
Thoughts are with you, let me know if there is anything I can do

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My condolences on the loss of your father.

I’m very lucky to still have both parents alive and in good health

southkogs

Staff member
I'm so sorry Scott. Unfortunately, there just aren't words. Will be praying for peace and comfort for you and your family as you grieve.

tpenfield

Staff member
My condolences, Scott. It is a sad time of life to lose a parent.

aspeck

Staff member
Sorry for your loss, Scott. Praying for you, Tammy, the family ... May the peace and love of God envelop you during this time of sorrow.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scott, I'm so sorry for your loss. Tough time for sure. Praying for comfort for you and your family.

harringtondav

Commander
Went through it 26 & and 28 yrs ago. That's enough of me. Mr. Danforth, you and your siblings have my deepest sympathies. Your pop will enjoy Valhalla, Heaven, Happy hunting grounds, or whatever was his flavor.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry about your father Scott .. Prayers to you and your family ..

RGrew176

Commander
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you and he had a lot of great times together. He will live on always in your fond memories of your times together.

Fun Times

Staff member
So sorry to read of your loss Scott as this is just such heartbreaking news for sure.:(
I wish you and all of yours within best wishes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Oh Scott,

I am so sorry to hear this, I lost my Dad a little over 3 years ago and it is tough, I am just now going through all of his tool boxes and other stuff he accumulated over the years and I still have to sit down and take a couple of deep breaths every once in a while.

Hunting and fishing were a passion of Dad's and mine, so I fully understand the loss of your mentor.

God's speed and prayers for you and your family.

Dave

:blue:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So very sorry for your loss. My heart felt condolence to you and your family. Never easy with any family loss.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Scott, I am so sorry for your loss. From my family to yours, You are in our thoughts and prayers.

sam60

Captain
Scott, Hate that you lost your Dad. My Condolences. May the memories guide you for the rest of your life and you be remembered as that same Dad.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
The only thing I can say is ....... I have been there. I lost my Dad about 18 years ago and it sucks. It is never easy and challenges me daily too. You will find people in the same situation of a loss of their father relate the best and understand........

My sincerest condolences.

Bob

fishrdan

Admiral
Sorry for your loss Scott. I lost my dad 10 years ago, time heals.

My dad had been doing bad for 10 years, got the call, jumped in the car, picked up my sister, drove 2000 miles in 30 hours, celebrated his birthday the day after we arrived. He passed the next day. He was waiting for his loved ones to be around...