Non tow vehicle suggestions

jkust

Rear Admiral
Thanks, yes, this will be an experiment in German car ownership. I expect it won't be cheap.
Yeah, in MN you pay sales just under 8% sales tax on the purchase price and then the registration fee on the new MSRP. The base model MSRP was 95k and then the car has another 20k in options. So the only benefit you get is you don't pay registration tax on the cost of the options but MN is an expensive state all around where taxes and fees are concerned. (third highest cost of living in the country according to The Economist Magazine 2018),

The check for the cost of the car was one thing but the government getting that much of my money just because is another but of course that's the story of my life living here.
Like I said though, I'm at mid life, and if not now then when.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
start saving money now... every bit of electronics in the 7 series from the transmission controller to the radio to the HVAC to the dash driver to the ABS brakes will die on you
And you better have a second car. My friend's BMW sat in his garage for a month waiting for an engine module from Germany.

jkust

Rear Admiral
And you better have a second car. My friend's BMW sat in his garage for a month waiting for an engine module from Germany.

That's a good point. I will soon be debating when to sell my other, now extra vehicle. Problem is I just don't have any space for it so am constantly having to move it around.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Can you get some kind of an extended warranty? Check out Doug Demuro and the saga of his Range Rover with a carmax warranty. It's paid for itself MANY times over.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Can you get some kind of an extended warranty? Check out Doug Demuro and the saga of his Range Rover with a carmax warranty. It's paid for itself MANY times over.

Yes, I can buy an extended warranty. I probably should take a serious look at what's available. On the plus side, it's the fastest car I've ever driven after just driving it a few times and haven't taken it into sport plus mode yet. Can't believe a sedan can move like it does.

sam60

Captain
No worries. Take them when the the weather is better. Again, Congrats.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Looking forward to seeing some pics! Funny story about German cars...

Close cousin of mine worked at various dealerships, all German cars. Volkswagon was notorious for this. They would design and patent bolt heads for "specialty" locations. If the bolt broke, $50+ to replace a single bolt. Think that is ridiculous? They charged the dealers $650 for the wrench!

jkust

Rear Admiral
I just looked back. Salt? OH NO.

Unfortunately, I'm in Minnesota and salt is part of the challenge of owning vehicles here. I've had some be unaffected by it and some rust out with holes and no floorboards left and only carpet between yiur feet and the road. Well see how this BMW does as it is slightly used but not from Minnesota so will see its first salt.
I'm actually dropping it off for a clear bra for the hood, fenders, fron bumper and side mirrors plus top of rear bumper today. It already has protection on the rockers luckily.
​​​​my wife's 07 suv got the clear bra way back when and still looks perfect where as my 07 never got it and the hood got chipped and is now rusty. Don't want to see that on my new car.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have owned many great cars, but none give me as much joy as my current BMW 550 AWD. I have owned an M5, and it was close. I have never had one break. If it cost me a fortune, I don't care, the driving pleasure is worth it. I have a 2012 F350 diesel in the barn for when I need to tow.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I have owned many great cars, but none give me as much joy as my current BMW 550 AWD. I have owned an M5, and it was close. I have never had one break. If it cost me a fortune, I don't care, the driving pleasure is worth it. I have a 2012 F350 diesel in the barn for when I need to tow.

It is interesting driving the 750. It feels like a supercar that you have to put into eco pro mode to make it drive like a regular car and take the performance down to an every day level. My childhood dream car like, a lot of kids my age, was a Lamborghini Countach and the 750 is actually faster than that old school Countach. No where near today's Lamborghinis but still fast for a sedan.
I'm dreading that at some point my wife will want to drive it and it isn't they kind of car you just jump in and drive without a couple of lessons and of course as I travel often for business, I dread parking it at the airport due to the door dings. I have private climate controlled parking at the office and so nobody else can get near it there.