Non tow vehicle suggestions

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hi all so I'm thinking of retiring my 2007 9-7x truck based SUV and moving to a car instead. The 9-7 was my daily driver and my back up tow rig. I'm at a certain point in my life now where I'd like to move to something with a little bit of flash and luxury, preferably a full sized car or maybe some kind of mid sized but back seat size is important for my kids who are now teens and tall. Because I'm in MN, I'd like AWD and because I tend to like a little extra power a v8 or high HP supercharged 6. So far I've been considering newer but used and off warranty BMW 750LI X drive (AWD) models but I'm a little bit spooked by the possible repair hassles of all of the tech on the 750 model.

My current 9-7 gets such terrible mileage that almost any car no matter the engine will be an improvement so not really paying much attention to mileage. The BMW 750 is almost 450hp and just shy of 500tq but mileage is much better than my current car as an example.

Anybody have any suggestions?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I moved from truck to car a few years ago for many of the same reasons, plus a long daily commute. Trucks available for towing when needed. I am now driving a '16 loaded Fusion Titanium with a turbo 4. Performance and mileage is great. Being in western NY, and often going to Adirondacks in the winter takes a bit of doing, and weather watching, but it's doable. But, I am looking into AWD for next vehicle - the looks on people's faces/responses are interesting when I tell them I'm looking for an Amercian-badged AWD wagon. GM now has one (based on their German-made vehicle, it might even be made there). Great thread, it'll be part of my research on this

aspeck

Staff member
My wife LOVES her Acadia ... I wish it had more power when I drive it, but I am glad it doesn't when she drives it! ;):eek::D

harringtondav

Commander
I can't help against your requirements. My left brain dominates with function over form. My parents were children of the depression, so that frugal thing sunk in permanently.

A turbo is great. It makes a smaller displacement engine grow up nicely. Beautiful torque curves, maxing in the mid 2Ks and holding flat past 4.5K. Our little 1.4L turbo Dart Aero's 184 ft lb is amazing. At 75 mph I paddle the DDCT shifter left to lock the gear from downshifting and stomp down. Wooosh. I sail past a left lane hogging car before it knew what happened.

briangcc

Commander
Owned/leased a 2013 Highlander. New ones are out and they tow 5k and come with V6 and AWD.

Test drove a 2018 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD and its very nice. Tows 5k IF you step up to the 1LT model per dealer I was working with. This is high on my list as I have a GM Card with earnings points to use.

Own a 2017 4Runner 4x4 - gas mileage is nothing to write home about but its a very capable vehicle. Tows 5k.

Had a 2016 GMC Acadia SLE-2 V6 AWD. It was rated to tow 5k but after towing my '05 Four Winns I think that was overly optimistic. The newer models now boast a 4k tow limit which is probably more realistic. **Had as my wife made a hard right while accelerating into a telephone pole (epilepsy fit) - broke the pole in 2. All air bags deployed and she walked away with a bruised ego. Vehicle was totaled by insurance as everything from the pass headlight back to the A pillar was cleaved off. Split the aluminum rim in 2.

Dodge Durango can tow 6200, Nissan Pathfinder can tow 6000 (if I recall correctly), and the Honda Pilot V6 AWD w/dealer installed tranny cooler can tow 5k. **Read the fine print on the Honda site for the tow package as it lists it out.

No idea on luxury imports as they're out of my price point.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldnt own a BMW simply because the electronics on everything in them fails at some point

I am partial to Audi's for AWD. then again, nothing wrong with a subaru with a turbo 2.2 as well.

if you spend a lot of time behind the wheel, your daily traffic needs will dictate the type of car

for example, I drive 100 miles a day. on days with stop and go traffic, my left leg would prefer a an automatic. however most of the time, I am darting in and out of traffic, so braking and handling while being able to row the gears won out.

sam60

Captain
Our Son recently bought a Suburu AWD turbo Forrester. I only rode passenger side but it rode smoothly, unlike the junk Chevy Equinox we bought. Too heavy for the weak 4 cyl and 8 speed transmission as an attempt to compensate. The 3,000' elevation change to go to the city makes me cringe as it keeps downshifting.

Going for a road trip to see my Mom and taking my My '13 Malibu. Given the cash on hand and a zip code close to a dealer I'd want an Audi.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not a big fan of “German” luxury ride quality.

Neighbor bought a Cayenne S a couple of weeks ago. Lots of room, quick but not impressed with the ride.

I like my FIL Lexus RX 350 AWD.

Really liked the Infinity QX60 rental last month.

My BIL sold his BMW convertible and bought a new Civic. Got tired of paying a premium for everything car related.

82rude

Rear Admiral
2019 ford edge st .335 hp of sporty awd suv.I recently bought a 2013 edge awd 3.5 285hp and am loving it .

aspeck

Staff member
Totally agree with all that has been said about the BMW ... a year and a half ago friends got a “great deal” on a BMW SUV. I suggested they keep looking, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. 1 1/2 years later the great deal has been eaten up PLUS in repairs ... mostly electrical.

bigdee

Commander
If $$$ is not a problem Porsche Cayenne has massive tow capacity. For luxury at a decent price and upkeep Grand Cherokee.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Thanks everyone, on the Acadia, thinking that will be a replacement for my wife's suv soon, that or the Enclave or possibly Traverse. We tow about two total miles each year, once in the water and once out of the water but the boat is just under 6000lbs on the trailer but that is a discussion for the next car as she will keep hers which is tows almost 7klbs.

The rear seat room is relatively high up on the importance list as much as I can't believe I need to make that a priority as we drive a lot to the lake in the summer with tall teens in the back who complain the whole time about the cramped rear seats. Really just getting sick of the suv ride.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Ok, I went ahead and checked out some of the vehicles you all mentioned. After much consideration, I decided that it's going to be a now or never situation and held my breath and bought a slightly used BMW 750 LI X drive. It was just over 110k new but got it for a decent deal in the big picture. I wrote the check on Friday. I've never had a really nice car my entire life so this is sort of a mid life car. Something to cruise up to the lake with and visit my son next year in college as well. The only options that unfortunately it doesn't have are the power back seats, back seat entertainment package and the night vision flir camera. We'll see how much of a maintenance headache this turns out to be but end of the day, I can always sell it if needed. Thanks for all of your great suggestions.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
That is one really "nice car" as your 1st. I was going to give you my list but you don't need it now. Can't get much more luxury and sports ride in 1 car. Enjoy the new ride and get ready for the thumbs up from admirers. I drove a 3 series and then a 5 series Beemer over 12 years. I did as much service as I could, they weren't loaded with computers yet when I had them.The rear wheel drive took some getting used to in winter with all those ponies under the hood. Get some good snows on her unless you live where I wished we did in winter. I do recommend keeping up with the recommended BMW servicing, that's when you will realize you are driving a very hi end car. Finding a good mechanic named Helmut or Heinz that's not at a dealership is a good thing Enjoy.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Wouldn't touch anything European at the moment. They have reliability and costumer backup issues..

For the shear fun of it, have a look at an AWD Kia Stinger... Twin turbo 3 litre V6...

Chris...

jkust

Rear Admiral
Wouldn't touch anything European at the moment. They have reliability and costumer backup issues..

For the shear fun of it, have a look at an AWD Kia Stinger... Twin turbo 3 litre V6...

Chris...

Thanks, I ended up with a slightly used BMW 750LI with the Xdrive (AWD) and the M sport package. It's about what you'd expect from a $115K car. A decent upgrade from my 2007 SUV I've been driving for the better part of a decade.
The Stinger looks cool though...I've seen only one so far on the road.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks, I ended up with a slightly used BMW 750LI with the Xdrive (AWD) and the M sport package. It's about what you'd expect from a $115K car. A decent upgrade from my 2007 SUV I've been driving for the better part of a decade.
The Stinger looks cool though...I've seen only one so far on the road.

start saving money now... every bit of electronics in the 7 series from the transmission controller to the radio to the HVAC to the dash driver to the ABS brakes will die on you

sam60

Captain
In Nevada the MSRP is used for registration fee. I hope the $115K was the MSRP and not what you paid for it. If your state is like NV I would cringe at plate renewal time but congrats on your purchase and enjoy!