Nascar 2018 Race #9 - Playoff Edition - Can-AMism Phoenix

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Here we go with 3 elimination races this weekend to see who will compete for championships in all 3 series. The current playoff standings - Only the top 4 drivers in points or with a playoff Round of 8 win will contend for the championship;

Cup

Joey has a spot at Homestead and 3 spots are open

ismcpo.PNG

X-Men

Custer has a spot at Homestead, 3 spots are still open.

ismxpo.PNG

Trucks

Sauter and Haley have spots at Homestead and 2 are still open.

ismtpo.PNG

Phoenix has a good weather forecast for the 39 Cup entrants. The Cup and X-Race is on NBC so you can flip between college football and X-Racing on Saturday and between NFL games and Cup racing on Sunday. MRN's ISM schedule;

[h=1]ISM (Phoenix) Schedule of Events[/h]
By
MRN Staff All Times Eastern (Local Time 2 Hours Behind)
Friday, November 9
Camping World Truck Series First Practice: 10:30 a.m.-11:20 p.m. (FS2)
Camping World Truck Series Final Practice: 12:05 p.m.-12:55 p.m. (FS2)
Monster Energy Cup Series First Practice: 1:35 p.m.-2:25 p.m. (MRN/NBCSN)
Xfinity Series First Practice: 2:35 p.m.-3:25 p.m. (NBCSN)
Xfinity Series Final Practice: 4:35 p.m.-5:25 p.m. (NBCSN)
Camping World Truck Series Qualifying: 5:35 p.m. (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Qualifying: 7:00 p.m. (MRN/NBCSN)
Radio Pre-Race: 8:00 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: 8:00 p.m. (FS1)
Camping World Truck Series Lucas Oil 150: 8:30 p.m. (MRN/FS1)

Saturday, November 10
Monster Energy Cup Series Second Practice: 11:30 p.m.-12:20 p.m. (MRN/CNBC)
Xfinity Series Qualifying: 12:35 p.m. (NBCSN)
Monster Energy Cup Series Final Practice: 2:00 p.m-2:50 p.m. (MRN/NBCSN)
Radio Pre-Race: 3:00 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: 3:00 p.m. (NBC)
Xfinity Series Whelen Trusted to Perform 200: 3:30 p.m. (MRN/NBC)

Sunday, November 11
Radio Pre-Race: 1:30 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: 1:30 p.m. (NBC)
Monster Energy Cup Series Can-Am 500: 2:20 p.m. (MRN/NBC)

News and Notes
  • Texas 🥒 Report - Kevin Harvick got the big one for a modified spoiler mount moving the spoiler to one side for better aero. He loses the playoff lock for Homestead, 40 points and both his crew chief and car chief for the rest of the season. A lot of fine money too - $75K for the crew chief. This is the #4's 2nd 🥒 this year - March at Vegas for rear window supports. If Harvick ends up in a tie for the 4th playoff spot, his "win" at Texas can't be used as a tiebreaker.
  • Other Texas Cup penalties - #20 of Erik Jone and the #12 of Ryan Blaney got L1 penalties for body mods. Same hit as the #4 except fines are only $50K.
  • Texas Truck penalty - #35 of Brennan Poole got a 3 race suspension through Daytona for the crew chief, truck chief and mechanic for loose ballast. It fell off the truck during practice. :facepalm:
  • Martin Truex and his crew chief Cole Pearn found a home at Joe Gibbs Racing #19. Daniel Suarez is looking for work.
  • Cancelled race report - K̶e̶v̶i̶n̶ ̶H̶a̶r̶v̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶i̶t̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶T̶e̶x̶a̶s̶
  • Texas TV ratings - 1.5 this year on NBCSN vs. 1.6 last year. Is this why NBC is carrying the final two Cup races instead of NBCSN?

iBoats Fantasy Live
  • Trackchicks Star won at Texas by 3 points and still has the overall playoff lead. Congrats and got a 🏆 for you.
  • Pole locks at 6:55 PM here in the East.

Humpty_Boater - Boy this is a long one!

GA_Boater

1st and only practice before qualifying is over. Fastest 10 are Jones, The Twerp, Elliott, Keso, Larson, Hamlin, Kenseth, Bowman, Harvick, and BuschX1.

6:55 is the pole lock time.

GA_Boater

Mr. Cucumber, Kevin Harvick wins the poleism. The rest of the top 12 are Elliott, Stenhouse, Blaney, Bowman, The Twerp, Jones, Larson, Joey, Hamlin, Menard and Keso.

Playoff driver starting positions: #4-Kevin Harvick, 1st, #9-Chase Elliott, 2nd, #18-Kyle Busch, 6th, #22-Joey Logano, 9th, #78-Martin Truex, Jr., 13th, #41-Kurt Busch, 14th ,#14-Clint Bowyer, 16th, #10-Aric Almirola, 18th

aspeck

Staff member
Man, I was going to pick Harvick, but started a painting job (honey do list) and just sat down ... grrrr

GA_Boater

Brett Moffit won tonight's Truck race and clinched a spot in the Homestead finale. Noah Gragson, Johnny Sauter and Justin Haley round out the 4 championship contenders.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our car failed inspection 3 times, and our car chief Blake got tossed. Cole says that something was broken during qualifying, and the car is way faster than what was shown. I'll be at the track by 9:30, and enjoy the perfect 76 degree day.
The track is sold out, which is nice to hear.

GA_Boater

1st practice had Harvick,Larson, Keso, The Twerp and Blaney fastest.

2nd practice the fastest were Harvick, Keso, The Twerp, Jones and Truex.

Rosters lock at 2:35 ET tomorrow afternoon.

X-Men start their final elimination race at 3:45.

GA_Boater

Christopher Bell wins at Phoenix. Along with Bell, Daniel Hemric, Cole Custer and Tyler Reddick will run at Homestead for the X-Championship. Highest placing driver wins it all.

Don't forget to fix your iFL roster.

GA_Boater

22 laps in the books and Harvick is already lapping cars.

Harvick got out to almost a second lead over Elliott, but the #9 has closed to about 3 tenths.

GA_Boater

Lap 30 and 30 on the lead lap. Elliott still holding back .3 secs.

GA_Boater

2 laps from the end of the heat and Harvick gets a right front flat. Elliott takes the stage.

GA_Boater

Harvick is a lap down in 29th. Look out 1-28, he'll do anything cuz he is not championship finalist in points.

Restart and BuschX1 takes the lead from Elliott.

GA_Boater

Harvick worked his way up to the luck dog spot, 1st car a lap down.

#41 ahead of #9 by .65 secs, 20 laps into heat 2.