Repairing/recoating grate on NG stove.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I will give the Readers Digest version of what happened and promise not to digress, much.The short of it is that a very large pot of water overboiled onto the grate on our NG stove. The grate is no longer shiny, it is so bad the refractory ceramic coating , which I believe NG stove grates must be coated with, is spalling. Coming off in large and small pieces of scale. A NG flame on a stove burns at around 2000F. Is there anyway to plate this without spending big coin. It is a very good 6 burner residential stove. To replace it is close to 3 grand. I can tell you I paid far less than 1/2 that. There is no heat paint I know of that will withstand 2000F. I am thinking it must me coated with some type of refractory ceramic as it hasn't turned red. Steel or Iron is red at 900F. I can't find a replacement grate for that model not even from Bosch. This stove should last me many more years. I can live with it, my wife is bothered because it looks dirty, it isn't. Any suggestions besides replacing my wife instead of the grate?

If anyone wants to know how to properly boil Lobster let me know. Shown to me by my born and bred BIL from Halifax Nova Scotia. Best Lobster I ever had.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
How old is the stove? I'm wondering if that might be considered premature failure. You certainly didn't misuse the product; if a stove can't handle water overboiling without falling apart, it's not a very good stove, in my opinion. I wonder if the coating was defective in the first place.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Very good points JASinIL2006. It has to be premature failure. I'm looking at it and the left grate has discoloured slightly as well. We are looking for the paperwork for the warranty and will contact Bosch regardless. I am 6 months into a 2 month renovation here, don't ask, what a mess I'm in, can't find a thing we need. A 8X10 storage locker is almost full. I bet that's where the paperwork is.

It is a very good SS residential stove. 5 years old and other than that grate looks and performs like new. The burner under this grate throws off a 7" wide and 3" high flame. It is depressed somewhat to hold a Wok and seldom can I turn it on full unless the largest pot or Wok is on it otherwise the flame comes up the side of the pot which I don't like to do for fire safety reasons.