Best security camera system - affordable?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Impressed by the Arlo system I helped install for a friend.

I have put in a few ring doorbell and flood lights but don't consider them a system perse. They aren't bad for what they do.

ipdsharkey

Recruit
I have a zmodo door alarm camera. works great. and a joylite indoor camera I use when no one is home. The joylite will monitor and track movement. Automatically turns itself on when it detects movement and records, sends message to your cell phone too. The joylite has a mini sd card. No monthly fees for either of these cameras and cost is under 100.00 for each.

angus63

Captain
I second the Arlo. I installed 3 camera system. Easy, inexpensive, wireless, rechargeable, effective, and weatherproof.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We are starting to lock our doors during the day here in Canada. There was a time we didn't even lock them at night in case we forgot the keys when we were out when living at home. I did a quick survey of friends and family yesterday and today , out of the 10 or so I talked to 3 have security systems. I wonder what the ratio is?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I helped a friend install one of the new Harbor Freight systems the other day and I was impressed good quality images and worked real nice, easy to install

briangcc

Commander
Whatever you get, might I suggest that it has the option to upload directly to the cloud? Reason being that if someone is coming into your house they may go after the DVR that has their image breaking into your house. With the images being in the cloud, download and provide them to the local authorities.

**I forget which system but I found a couple that were reasonable that had these options when I was looking. I'd say they were in the 1k range. Reason is that my house is on a knoll which is about 6' above my sidewalk and Halloween 2017 I watched (2) different youngsters face plant in my yard by going up the knoll instead of using my heavily lit steps. I got lucky and both parents looked at their youngsters and scolded them for trying to shortcut.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't recommend the Ring system. Installed a doorbell and backyard camera about 3 years ago. They worked fine until about 2 months ago. Both cameras have lost night vision capability and the doorbell has trouble with connecting. They both come on and record if there is movement, but if at night just a black screen shows. On the doorbell if UPS or someone is making a delivery they will be in there truck and gone before the camera connects and records. We are currently looking for a replacement.

Glenn

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I second the Arlo. I installed 3 camera system. Easy, inexpensive, wireless, rechargeable, effective, and weatherproof.

and today I see it on sale @ woot.com