car insurance question - first ever potential claim

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Hitting deer is covered under comprehensive not collision. If you swerved to miss a deer and hit a tree then it would be covered under collision. There is generally no fault assigned with comprehensive claims. For example a tree falling on your car, someone vandalizing your car, a deer running in front of your car etc etc. A comprehensive claim should not increase your premiums.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Don't count on it...I found out by accident that our insurance company paid a $1,250 claim we where never notified about.

Stop and go accident in traffic. Both parties agreed no damage done (wife took pictures) and both went on their way. That was that until the mandatory notification of the insurance company. The insurance company took upon themselves to pay the kid $1,250 for scratch on the hood emblem of his 15 year old car.

The insurance didn't want to hear we had pictures that showed no damage to his car.

Yeah , but that would have been collision coverage and not comprehensive though right ?

If they raise my rates over something I have no control over like a deer , I will drop them quick.

bigdee

Commander
what is your comprehensive deductible?

generally comprehensive claims do not affect your policy premiums.

Your correct, comprehensive is for these types of incidents. In NC that means no deductible and no points on insurance.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If I swerved to miss a Deer and hit a tree here in Ontario I could be charged with Careless Driving. I am supposed to risk my passenger and my life as the Highway Traffic Act says we are not to avoid an animal on a roadway. I'll take my chances by avoiding the Deer. I have seen the aftermath of Deer hits that went through the windshield. One was fatal to a passenger.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i used to work for a company that had about 1500 drivers/trucks that were on the road supporting the natural gas pipeline business. deer hits were nearly a daily occurrence. company policy was to never swerve and to hit the deer. statistics showed that there was less damage to the vehicle and none to passengers vs attempting to swerve which normally resulted in high damage and injuries. basically aim for the deer, by the time the truck got there, the deer had moved, and most of the time it was a glancing blow.

now a cow...that is another story. a cow will push a Cummins C-series engine back about 3 feet in a chassis. apparently cows do not move like deer

bassman284

Commander
My insurance went up this year and I haven't had an accident since 1972 and that one wasn't my fault. I did have a cracked windshield replaced under comprehensive about 25 years ago.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My insurance went up this year and I haven't had an accident since 1972 and that one wasn't my fault. I did have a cracked windshield replaced under comprehensive about 25 years ago.

Similar to me. My only accident was in 1972 and I had a windshield replaced about a decade ago.

Last year my wife bought a brand new car and I also bought a newer used car a few months later. We expected and accepted the increase in our premium. When I bought my car we shopped around and got a better deal than our then-current provider.

Fast forward a year and our insurance went up about 11% at renewal time a couple weeks ago! Time to shop around again! So I did and we switched to a different company and got a great rate which is below what we'd had with the prior company originally, saving us $60 a month. The lesson is... it pays to shop around.

64osby

Admiral
65 and older rates go up just because..... ......you are 65 or older.:eek: