Later Autumn

dwco5051

Commander
Here in North-Central Pennsylvania the leaves are usually in full color by Columbus Day. This year only about of a quarter of the species are even starting to turn colors. Now they are talking about the hurricane hitting Mexico moving across Mexico and up the East Coast of the U.S. which means a possible Nor'easter. A inch or so of sloppy wet snow will make the forest around here look like a giant game of pick up sticks. I spent yesterday hauling equipment back home from a site I was working 30 miles away just in case at my wife's insistence. If we get that storm once again she may prove to be the smart one in the family as my lane and driveway is almost a half mile through the woods. Much better then to be stranded for several days and having to hear about a thousand "I told you so's"

aspeck

Staff member
Our local weather forecaster said, "The color is in the trees, but the warm, wet fall has kept the chlorophyll in the leaves so the green covers the colors up. So the leaves will just die and fall off without really changing color." Some trees have lost their leaves, but most are still full of green leaves, and this "storm" could wreak havoc on trees and power lines. .

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It has looked like a snowstorm around here today, the Aspens and Maples have changed and are the way out, the light breeze is blowing all the leaves off, the Larch and Tamarack are changed and loosing their needles and every once in a while, the breeze is coming out of Canada with a chill, so it is late fall.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The trees around here are about 3-4 weeks past when they would normally blaze up with color. North central Indiana weather has been cold in the evenings and cooler than normal in the evenings.... just not dropping any leaves. It's gonna be an outrageous mess when it starts snowing!