Back Issue and bored

alldodge

Staff member
Hurt my back over a month ago and first Dr says it was sciatica, and after taking it easy for more then a week and did not get much better. Go out to dinner and after paying the bill I barely made it to the car before passing out from the pain. Woke up and passed out again. Managed to get to passenger seat and we go back to Mom's

Go back and see Dr and they send me to PT and put me in traction. First time I felt a little better, next time I could not walk to my truck without having to sit down. Go back and tell them this isn't sciatica this is numbness and pain in my right leg. finally they say we need to get an MRI.

Another week and I get an MRI and now have an appointment with a neurosurgeon. Going to see them next Wednesday

I got the CD and I think there is an angry guy inside me

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

But here is the on that is giving me the trouble. Think they will want to do a microdiscectomy

Slide3.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You got the demons, AD. Or they're Forest Creatures from some movie I saw.

The back doesn't heal itself and medicine has made some amazing progress. Hoping the best for you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hurt my back over a month ago and first Dr says it was sciatica, and after taking it easy for more then a week and did not get much better. Go out to dinner and after paying the bill I barely made it to the car before passing out from the pain. Woke up and passed out again. Managed to get to passenger seat and we go back to Mom's

Go back and see Dr and they send me to PT and put me in traction. First time I felt a little better, next time I could not walk to my truck without having to sit down. Go back and tell them this isn't sciatica this is numbness and pain in my right leg. finally they say we need to get an MRI.

Another week and I get an MRI and now have an appointment with a neurosurgeon. Going to see them next Wednesday

I got the CD and I think there is an angry guy inside me

Back injuries are nothing to be taking lightly. I did something stupid 30 years ago and pulled the muscles around L3/L4 and about once a year I am curled up in a fetal position unable to move for an hour while. been thru an MRI and until it gets worse, they dont want to do more than PT.

was thinking the same thing.... maybe a Jim Henson creature
4d453c84b2deb99511eb8fda9b8565d2.jpg

alldodge

Staff member

was thinking the same thing.... maybe a Jim Henson creature

Funny

They have made some micro surgery leaps over the years. From what I read about the procedure it won't take long and you can normally get right up and walk out feeling better. I don't want the knife but I cannot live like this.

Need to winterize my boats and other equipment, and get the hydraulic cylinders put back on the loader and put it to bed. Haven't cut grass over at the other place in more then a month and its tall, the good thing is its getting cold so grass is slowing down

GA_Boater

The Admiral and her son have had multiple back surgeries years ago and have the massive scars to show for it. Their backs are no better for it.

Today I see ads on TV where it's day surgery and the only evidence is a band aid when they leave. And from what I've read, are more successful than the slice and dice days. It's too late for them after all the "old" fixes.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
yep, gal here at work went to that spinal institute place. she is very happy with the results.

alldodge

Staff member
yep, gal here at work went to that spinal institute place. she is very happy with the results.

They have one of those in Louisville as well, the Dr I'm seeing is with UofL and recommended by a friend which is a retired neuro surgical nurse from the same hospital.

Thanks always good to hear others made it through without issue

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Neuro (and other) surgeons (and everything that goes with that) are quite good these days. In the last few years I have had CABGx2, craniectomy, and gamma knife surgeries. So far, so good...

All the best to you, AD

harringtondav

Commander
I feel your pain, literally AllDodge . It sounds like your's may be event related, so hopefully the cure is short and simple. I've been fighting osteoarthritis and the related stenosis for 2.5 yrs. It's been brewing for over 47 yrs. since I shook off a motorcycle accident as a sprat. 2.5 yrs of worthless referrals, therapy, etc. Current pain management MD seems solid. But if he can't pull of an RFA (zapping pain nerves), it the knife for me.

The pain is a bummer. Worse is the sudden loss of a robust life. Worst of all is the drag on my boating time. Even after installing a cushioned seat pedestal, anything more choppy than a glass water boat ride lays me up for two days. THAT's going too far. If I can't get it fixed, I'm going for threefootitus, or a damned pontoon.

alldodge

Staff member
Dang sure bites getting old. From my research (have always done research) things like mine can be caused by a last single thing, and can most often happen from age (man keep hearing that). When we get old me loose mussel mass and this makes regular chores become harder to do.

I've noticed my mussels turn into mush over the years, and I still get out and work, turn wrenches and other. Do notice I just don't have the strength I use to have.

Do remember that after dumping several loads of large rock and moving them around with the back hoe, I got out and was walking around. Picked up several smaller rocks and tossed them over the side. There was also one which probably weighted 500 lbs on its side. So all I did was get next to it and push it over the hill, it did not take a lot of pushing because it was on the edge.

Next thing I know, I feel something. The next day, not feeling great, but need to replace a 4D battery. Grab hold and lift it down doing best to keep the back straight like I always try to do, and that was it. I'm in pain and the heavy lady just sang her song

ezbtr

Commander
Do what the docs say, surgery now a days is amazing, less intrusive, my brother had two rods put in two years ago, so much better!! I'm still coming back from the busted elbow(80% good) and leg(healed but tons of PT goin on) from 4 months ago.

alldodge

Staff member
I was wrong in my medical thoughts, (who saw that one coming :D) but there is good news, but still need surgery. Its not a herniated disk, is a lateral disketomy, which means I crunched the other edges of 2 vertebrae together which caused some small pieces of the bone to break off. Those small pieces are in between the vertebrae and the spinal cord.

So I go into surgery for about 20 minutes to suck out those pieces. Its out patient and will be back home later

If it was a disk, they would grin some of it away, but with this, they just suck out the broken pieces and I'm good. Current schedule is Nov 6 (election day), so need to vote tomorrow

spine.jpg

GA_Boater

AD - After the bone chip vacuum, leave those rocks and batteries for a younger guy................................Or the Admiral. :behindsofa:

This is much better news than the the early diagnosis.

southkogs

Staff member
That is good news ... best wishes AD. It can be very trying to go through some of this stuff. Hope it's all easy on ya'.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, and for the most part I'm mostly concerned with an infection afterwards then of the surgery. Good think is this is out patent so that helps

aspeck

Staff member
I have a knife ... I can cut those demons out for half the price your doctor will charge you. I haven't lost a back patient yet ... haven't found one yet, either, but that is a whole different story ... and don't laugh, it might hurt your back!

alldodge

Staff member
I have a knife ... I can cut those demons out for half the price your doctor will charge you. I haven't lost a back patient yet ... haven't found one yet, either, but that is a whole different story ... and don't laugh, it might hurt your back!

That did hurt a bit

Happen to have a mini vac with maybe a 18 inch hose, to suck those bone fragments out. Could probably use a piece of garden hose instead of on of those high end medical tubes