Back Issue and bored

harringtondav

Commander
Thanks AllDodge They ask where you are on the 1-10 pain scale. Very subjective. I know guys who would walk into an ER on a broken leg and say "not so bad". Others who nearly pass out with a paper cut. I've been revising my "9" up for over two years. Last year's "7" is today's "5". I'm saving "10" for when I pass out. I'm sorry you hit that level. Get well.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My first ever visit to a hospital was in the late 50's, I had to be 5 or 6. They had to sneak me in, children were not allowed to vist back when everything was in black and white. Mon had back surgery then and she had a zipper a foot long. She layed there on a Stryker frame for 2 long months. They have come such a long way thankfully. I was always worried I would end up the same way due to genetics. Thankfully I never had a real back issue until 5 years ago, baby brother on the other hand had his 1st back surgery at 30. 5 years ago I herniated to lumbar discs loading firewood. It slowed me down to say the least. Last December I wanted to move the boat as the front wheel slipped off a 2X6 and I needed to jack it up for the ball to mate with the receiver. I got the jack out and said I can lift it back on, I don't need no stinkin' jack, I would dead lift 500 pounds for reps, yea right stupid I thought I was 34 not 64, duhhh. Result, tongue in the same place and I am on my *** screaming in pain. Couldn't feel my legs for a minute that felt like an hour, I admit I was scared poopless laying there. I now have 2 vertebrae compression fractures plus the disc problems. That was as close to a 10 on that pain scale, I have since adjusted my scale to reflect what pain actually is. Over 10 knee surgeries and a few shoulders done, after this back thing my old 7 is a new 4. I get acute scoliosis when I over do something, like carrying groceries or weed whacking the lawn, not leg pressing 700 lbs . I have surgery booked for January. When my GP mentioned surgery all I could picture in my mind was Mom laying on that Stryker frame for months for more than a few operations over the years. I mustered up enough corleone's to see a surgeon. Man they have come a long way in the last 10 years let alone the last 60 years. I felt like an idiot after she explained the operation. I couldn't carry a 24 of beer without feeling it the next day.

AD I am so glad you are coming along well. It is inspiring to hear you are on the mend and the surgery seems to be successful. I hope my experience mimics yours, hopefully boredom is the only problem I will have. You keep getting better my dear Sir. And you as well harringtondav.

Johnny D.

alldodge

Staff member
Appreciate the words, thanks
Last night was not good. Our friend the nurse said I should be taking the meds for the first 5 days, but at least 3. She says this is to keep down the swelling. About 5 hours before bed I started feeling some pain. Not a lot so figured I'm good. Couple hours later, its still increasing and I'm just sitting in the recliner.

This is a same type pain before the surgery but not as bad. Decide to take a Valium and wait. About another hour and its getting pretty bad, but paper work says not to take Hydrocodone at same time as Valium, so decide to get in bed. It eases only a bit. After several hours I get back up and take a Hydro, and its pretty bad.

Get back in bed, and nothing is easing, wondering if the pills are working. I get up again and get an ice pack and sit in the recliner, then another 30 minutes switch to heat. I'm starting to get those sweats again which is what happens when I'm getting close to passing out. I take a Hydro and and readjust, then after a time it starts to ease up. With it easing I'm starting to feel like a slug again, guessing its from the Valium and Hydro.

That was 430 this morning. Its now almost 11 and things are getting back to ok again. Sure wish I didn't have to take the drugs but sure don't want to go thru that again. Have not been able to get the Dr office to call me back about the drugs, so going to call again

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I guess it's my turn to stay up all night, this is my second in a row. 'Im having muscle spasms from the top of my noggin' at the top oft my head at the back down the neck and both traps going on week 4. Then to my shoulders. Went for massage therapy and
acupuncture twice last week and didn't last long, maybe a day and $130.00 lighter in my jeans. It has worked before, not this week. Yesterday was the breakthrough day, almost back to normal. Then after dinner it all started tightening up to the point maxed out on Flexoral, a muscle relaxer, 27 mg of Hydromorphone Contin
and Dilaudid/ 16mg. I finally fell asleep around 6 when my wife woke for work. Slept until Noon. Then a good day, or should I say afternoon. Drove the truck no problem. For dinner I stood at the stove stirring Rizzoto for 1/2 hr. non stop. Felt good. Then about 8PM it came back with a vengeance and has worked it's way to my thoracic area and I'm having spasms that are impeding my breathing. Of course I'm out of muscle relaxers and anti-inflamitories and zero repeats until Monday. No sleep again. Looks like a dreaded ride to ER and get in the triage line going out the door for a 4 or more hour wait. This getting old SUCKS. 1st time I've yelled on line. When I was on 12's in the 80's one of the young Millwrights welded a chin up bar to one of the beams on the West Casthouse floor. Every cast on nights we worked out as we filled the 225 ton Treadwell Ladles. The old timers, maybe in their mid 50's, would give us a wry smile and would say Ënjoy it boy's while you can." Yea right we are the boomers that tra G.F. in our bodies 5 days a week and eat healthy. The gyms are not those old cold, dark, damp YMCA's. of the 70's.

Now I know what was behind those smiles. I get it now.

edit: I would have been disciplined at the least today. suspended, maybe. fired. I was the Shift General Foreman that was supposed to set standards

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I'm feeling a little better this AM but seems the valium isn't doing much, but then again maybe it is and I just don't realize it. In any case your having it worst the me. Being on some more powerful pain meds is that double edge sword. Hoping you get better soon and not get hung on the meds

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I remember those days! I think they called it "Young; Dumb; and Stupid". Now I consider myself "Older; Slower; and Smarter". Remember when they made you wear a back support that you hated because it was too hot. Now it's a normal thing. I can remember having back spasms so bad I would fall to the floor; then crawl on my hands and knees to lay in the bed of a pickup to get to the ER. I got a good Doctor; she knows my problem; and helps with the meds ..She also keeps track of them.
Your "Experience" are words to live by.

southkogs

Staff member
Y'all watch those meds. I've never had to fight my way off 'em, but I get why people do. You can become kinda' dependent on 'em when the pain is tough to get through.

As I've gotten within striking distance of my 50s, I've had to start working out again. It's not super intense, but I've been surprised at how helpful it is when I'm feeling stiff or off kilter. If / when PT comes into play, see what options they have for you.

Hope things go better than expected.

harringtondav

Commander
Y'all watch those meds.

True that. I have an approved prescription for 5mg Nocor (Vicodin) for my lumbar stenosis. Back pain is a misnomer. It starts at the top of my pelvis and tears through my hips on the way to the outside of my knees.

My pain starts fierce and excruciating when I get on my feet every am (use a walker for the first 10-15 min), then drops fairly fast to tolerable levels. I take a half tab one hr before getting up. If it helps, I don't see it much. I tried a full tab today w/o any improvement. So back to 1/2.

I slice a single 5mg tab into halves and quarters. I avoid the stuff like the plague, until it's the only alternative. NSADs may as well be breath mints. A quarter - 1.25 mg, works surprisingly well to curb that late afternoon returning ache. The Nocor is very effective once I get up, so I take it sparingly. I don't want to start building a tolerance. I may be on it for a looong time.

RFA outpatient surgery in 16 days, with fingers crossed. If successful I can put the opioids back deep in the med box.

alldodge

Staff member
Same here try to avoid the hyro. Managed to make it thru the night without any and haven't taken any so far. Had 3 valium left this morning and took one to lessen the spasms. Have some sharp pains every so often, but hanging in there

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Vialium and Nocor I cannot take. One makes me dizzy and cannot focus. The other is mind bending; and makes me itch like crazy. My main problem is my legs (Circulation). I do good to walk 50'

alldodge

Staff member
Vialium and Nocor I cannot take. One makes me dizzy and cannot focus. The other is mind bending; and makes me itch like crazy. My main problem is my legs (Circulation). I do good to walk 50'

Sorry to hear about that, no relief, reminds me of what was going on before my surgery.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I tapped out today and spent the afternoon In Emergency ward. The swelling in my neck got so bad I couldn't swallow my own spit. They injected a muscle relaxer or something and got some relief. Gave me enough anti inflammatory until I can see my GP this week. Why is it we hear 1 little thing in our boats that don't sound perfect we are putting her on the trailer and doing our boat medical on her but won't seek medical attention when we can't walk etc ?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Hey; I'm not moaning or complaining; it's something I put up with. It just takes me longer. Had to replace the electric window motor in our Ranger. Should have taken 2-3 hrs; took me 2 days considering the weather.
There are probably members worse off then me; I'm just glad to get around.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have been doing a 5 week renovation here for 7 months since the 1st of April. Just hit me April Fool. I just can't do it anymore. If I can get down on the floor to drive a screw I can see the screw. Then I need to get back up again somehow. So I had to call in paid help. The big problem is finding someone that can read the business end of a tape measure out here in the sticks. I have no problem paying someone their worth, none whatsoever but anyone that can has work booked for months. It kills me paying a guy and I have to stand there and show him or yes her how. All my friends and relatives are in the same boat.

I started winterizing the boat a month ago. Same thing for the cottage. Put on a new roof this summer. No way the heat tracer is going back up this winter. In Italian the saying is "Le vecchia et bruto.: Old age is ugly.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'm feeling a little better this AM but seems the valium isn't doing much, but then again maybe it is and I just don't realize it. In any case your having it worst the me. Being on some more powerful pain meds is that double edge sword. Hoping you get better soon and not get hung on the meds

I've never thought of Valium as a pain med. I'm maxed out with opiates, because of the abuse I'm maxed out. before the Opiate abuse epidemic 5 years ago my pain mgt Doc said I was 2/3 of max. They lowered the "suggested" ceiling and I'm now at max. It isn't a law here in Ontario it's a suggestion by our Ministry of Health. No Doc will ever go above those suggested maximums for fear of the worst outcome, an OD. I would do the same thing. My pain isn't touched by all the shite I take. I am trying to ween myself off them. It's tough, on Opiates since 78'. The Doc and I are talking about rehab, I'll give it a shot. I won't smoke or ingest Medical MJ. Even without the THC stuff f it makes me ill and very expensive.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
That is one of the reasons I left a company after 34+ years. They were hiring techs that were SO good; they could troubleshoot a problem on the phone; then order something they knew might repair it The Company? They just folded; you can buy their tools at Lowes.

alldodge

Staff member
Why is it we hear 1 little thing in our boats that don't sound perfect we are putting her on the trailer and doing our boat medical on her but won't seek medical attention when we can't walk etc ?

Because were guys, my G-Dad only went to a doctor once he was being cared for by one of his kids. Over the years he broke his collar bone, ribs and arm, and all he did was bandage him self up and wait for the pain to go away.

Sure sorry to hear its getting that bad, mine isn't near what your going through. Hoping you can find some relief

never thought of Valium as a pain med

Its not, its a mussel relaxer and so far not a very good one. Used the last one last night and also added some ibuprofen and was able to sleep ok. Still have some Hydro but not using them, the pain is manageable. Think I am on the down side of it, and hope a little longer I'll be able to do some things. Seem to be ok until I get up to walk

alldodge

Staff member
A nurse friend said to use 400mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours so giving that a go. Doubt if that will even touch your issue old ironmaker. At least its OTC med and ease to get, just don't want to be on it long due to effects on the liver