Nascar 2018 Race #5 - Playoff Edition - L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ Shining The Way At Talladega

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nascar 2018 Race #5 - Playoff Edition - L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ Shining The Way At Talladega

It's the middle race in the round of 12 or now 11 since Chase Elliott won last week and only has to race for playoff points now that he has a spot in the round of 8. The current standing for the 12 playoff drivers;

playoffsr4.PNG

After Sundays Dega race, the bottom 4 will be in a must win situation. But who knows what 4 drivers will be in danger of becoming also rans?

41 teams are on the entry list, so somebody will be sitting out. Hurricane Michael ripped through from the Gulf Coast, but it missed Talladega to the East. The weather will be pleasant, sunny and finally a little cooler, 71 on Friday and Saturday and warming to 81 on Sunday. Don't hold ol' Humpty to it, he blew it last week! From MRN, the schedule;

Talladega Schedule of Events

All Times Eastern (Local Time 1-Hour Behind)
Friday, October 12
Camping World Truck Series Practice: 10:05 a.m.-10:55 a.m. (FS2)
Camping World Truck Series Final Practice: 11:35 a.m.-12:25 p.m. (FS2)
Camping World Truck Series Qualifying: 5:35 p.m. (FS2)
Saturday, October 13
Monster Energy Cup Series Final Practice: 11:00 a.m.-12:20 p.m. (MRN/NBCSN)
Radio Pre-Race: 12:30 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: 12:30 p.m. (FOX)
Camping World Truck Series Fr8Auctions 250: 1:00 p.m. (MRN/FOX)
Monster Energy Cup Series Qualifying: 4:30 p.m. (MRN/NBCSN)
Sunday, October 14
Radio Pre-Race: 1:00 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race (Countdown to Green): 1:00 p.m. (NBCSN)
Monster Energy Cup Series 1000Bulbs.com 500: 2:00 p.m. (MRN/NBC)

News and Notes
  • Lets start with the Silly Season changes for next year;
    • Chad Knaus is moving to the #24 of William Byron
    • Kevin Meendering will be rejoining Hendrick as JJ's new crew chief.
    • Darian Grubb is moving up to Hendrick Technical Director.
    • Matt DiBenedetto will be taking over the #95 of LFR, replacing Regan Smith who was filling in for Kasey Kahne after Kahne couldn't get medical clearance to race and announced his retirement anyway. Smith will finish the season behind the wheel of the #95
  • Immediate changes;
    • Crew chief change for Daniel Suarez - Dave Rogers is replacing Scott Graves. Gibbs said Graves is leaving immediately. :noidea: what's up with that.
  • As part of the 2019 Rules Package, the driver adjustable track bar is being eliminated. The package includes aero changes and restrictor plates on some races. 17 races on over 1 mile tracks will have combinations of these changes. Details from Jayski's - http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018/story/_/id/24869190/nascar-announces-2019-rules-package
  • TV ratings - Dover had a 1.3 rating, but it's hard to compare with last year. This year Dover was the 1st race in the round of 12, while last year it was the final round of 16 elimination race. The Charlotte Roval was the elimination race this year.

iBoats Fantasy Live
  • By barely squeeking by with a 1 point lead over Fasteddie370, justkiddin 5 took the Dover win. Congrats, justkiddin 5. 🏆
  • Fasteddie370 is the playoff points leader by 21 points over JK 5.
  • iFL pole locks at 4:30 PM on Saturday. Cup only has a single practice before the Truck race and qualifying follows Truck racing.

Humpty_Boater, not a weatherman. :D

GA_Boater

Thread title change: Nascar 2018 Race #5 - Playoff Edition - L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶i̶n̶g̶
Shining The Way At Talladega

It's official - Nascar returns to it's roots and more road racing should be on the way! We'll call them Thunder Road 1, Thunder Road II, Thunder Road II, etc.

shine.PNG

GA_Boater

Harvick led the only Cup practice at Talladega. Qualifying is at 4:30 Nascar time, pole pick locks at 4:30 ET.

Trucks have started their elimination race. Enfinger won heat 1 and 7 laps into heat has Austin Hill in front.

GA_Boater

Gilliland wins the second heat. The final heat is 54 laps.

GA_Boater

A spin by Thorson brings out the rag. Tire rub from earlier contact let the air out of a tire.

Coming up on lap 50.

GA_Boater

It's Dega - So we have a Big One. Red flag at lap 59 for a bunch of wrecked cars.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I hate Fox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They switched to football at noon my time, right after the end of the second stage and I had to download and install the FoxGo app to finish watching the race! Jerks!

GA_Boater

That's about stupid, MT. Probably the local Fox affiliate, but still. :confused.

GA_Boater

Gragson doing all the blocking will lead to a wreck.

And he spun out before I could hit Post!

GA_Boater

BuschX1 wins the provisional* Talladega pole. The rest of the top 12 - Bowyer, Harvick, Almirola, Elliott, Johnson, Bowman, Byron, The Twerp, Hamlin, Truex and Stenhouse.

Playoff driver provisional* starting spots;

BuschX1, 1st
Bowyer, 2nd
Harvick, 3rd
Almirola, 4th
Elliott, 5th
Bowman, 7th
The Twerp, 9th
Truex, Jr., 11th
Keso, 18th
Blaney, 19th
Joey, 20th
Larson, 34th

* - Cars will go through a post-qualifying inspection, then impounded. The last race this happened at resulted in a buch of top cars starting at the back. So far only the #72 of LaJoie has failed

The rosters lock at 1:55PM, ET tomorrow.

64osby

Admiral
Shine - Good stuff sometimes. :rolleyes: We were down in the Tri State area a few weeks ago. Tried some shine. The clear was rough, the watermelon was okay, the char was pretty smooth.:cool:

My better half brought home the clear, my BIL brought home the watermelon and the char.

I brought home the barrel strength bourbon, 61.7%. :eek: Might as well be shine.:lol:

GA_Boater

Any drink is good. Some are gooder than others. LOL

Two cars to the back - Larson for intended unapproved approved adjustments, whatever that means, and LaJoie for taking two shots to pass inspection.

1:55 ET is the cutoff for roster picks/changes.

GA_Boater

1:55 ET is the cutoff for roster picks/changes.

Now it's moved back to 2 PM.

Also only Larson to starting at the back, but he qualified poorly and it's a drop of 6 spots.

GA_Boater

It's time for racing at Talladega!

1st heat is 55 laps with Kurt Busch on the pole.

Green flag!

GA_Boater

Big Twerp led all 55 laps to take the 1st heat checkers.

GA_Boater

Johnson did a little wiggle and ended up spin by himself. Lucky no other cars got in his way. Real yellow #2.

GA_Boater

Now it's Harvick up front, no it's The Twerp leading. No, It's Harvick. Benn trading places.