USA Pres alert

alldodge

Staff member
Have been told you cannot opt out of the alert, but think if you never signed up for any alerts on your phone, then you don't get them. Admiral received alert (also receives Amber, Rev 911, weather and others), but I got nothing. I have not signed up for anything on the phone, but do get them via email. Both ATT, and she has smart phone and I have flip phone

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Not everyone got the alert. They were hoping for 75%, but fell short. I got it on my phone and on the radio driving down the road in the truck. I signed up for nothing and I don't think that matters.... Sounds like they will try again at a later date...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Lets make sure we don't get political. I've seen enough garbage on social media...

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Heard that on TV this morning. It was right on the money on Dish. The Admiral got it; I didn't on my LG flip phone. (AT&T)

aspeck

Staff member
I did not get one ... Should I feel slighted or left out of the loop?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many times it depends on your carrier. in the office we can tell who has what carrier and what phone you have.

verizon customers go off first
30 seconds later ATT android customers go off
then another 30 seconds later ATT iPhone customers go off
about a minute later sprint customers phones go off
then about 5 minutes later t-mobile.

AD, your flip phone probably isnt set up for active messaging.

alldodge

Staff member
I did not get one ... Should I feel slighted or left out of the loop?

Ya know I heard something about that :D did ya get the memo ?

Don't know, but I do text a little (as little as possible) and FB and other places want me to accept messaging and I do not

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I was watching a recorded show from cable TV when the alert went off on my LG phone as scheduled.

Two minutes later the program I was watching on my DVR stopped (not paused) and the alert appeared full screen on the TV and overrode the volume. After the alert completed, the DVR had taken me back to my standard startup channel and the recorded show had to be resumed.

Not bad. Not exactly a Flash Override, but still not bad.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Only get any alerts on the Bell TV satellite here in Ontario. Sends me to a different channel that posts alerts only. The local Radio sends it out as news. Nothing on the Android phone.

RGrew176

Commander
Verizon customer here. Right at 2:18 I got the alert. It was followed by two more in the next few minutes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Oh crap........ we were ALL supposed to FWD the alert to Aspeck.......... I forgot :( and by the sounds of it many did.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's ok, I think 'Speck is better off being left in the dark on most occasions.....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
many times it depends on your carrier. in the office we can tell who has what carrier and what phone you have.

verizon customers go off first
30 seconds later ATT android customers go off
then another 30 seconds later ATT iPhone customers go off
about a minute later sprint customers phones go off
then about 5 minutes later t-mobile.

Then about a week later we read about the Amber Alert in the weekly oldnewspaper. I get the thing on my phone. Bell TV has a dedicated channel for Amber Alerts, an hour or so after my phone text's me it's on TV in 2 languages, English and the other one.