Ran out of gas

alldodge

Staff member
Running 9 miles from my marina to another to get fuel. Gauge shows just a tad under 1/4 and this is a new tank and new sender, well about 3 years old. So i make about 7 miles and it just slowly dies.

Turn key OFF/ON and hear fuel pump run but a different sound. Reach down and remove filter and sure enough about 1/3 empty. Put it back on and call a friend on the VHF. He (and wife) came over and tows me the rest of the way. Going to need to get a bottle of Tequila for them

Last time I ran out of fuel was my 2000 diesel on the interstate (maybe 2005), and that gauge was also showing just below a 1/4 tank. So guess I'll be looking into getting a new gas gauge. I think its hanging and not the sender, but going to do some testing

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
BTDT..... I called eveyone I knew on the water, ended up flagging down a father/son in a 14' fishing rig. they towed me the 3 miles to the ramp... i bought them lunch and a few beers.

I now have towing insurance with Boat US.

southkogs

Staff member
AllDodge - if you'd do a topic on testing the sender and the gauge (as in a "how to"), I'd really appreciate it. That's on the "to do" list for the Bayliner next year and I have no clue as to the way to do it.

I've run out of gas a few times. Fortunately not often enough to earn a reputation. We ran outta' gas once a few years ago. We were really close to the marina; just a few hundred yards away. I had the doghouse open on the engine and we were waving at folks, but no one would stop. Eventually the kids and I just tied a bow line and dove in. Like Santa's reindeer towing the sled into the ramp :)

alldodge

Staff member
Eventually the kids and I just tied a bow line and dove in. Like Santa's reindeer towing the sled into the ramp :)

Now I would have come running to help, but also it would make a good vid :rolleyes:

Will see what I can write up with pics later. Right now nursing my back and or hip issue, so won't be doing it right away.

The way I'll test my gauge and sender workings.
Will remove sender from under aft cabin. Attach wires to main and ground long enough to have sender at helm. Turn key ON then move sender UP/DOWN and watch gauge. Mine is a tube sender and if I remember correctly, it has a hole in the bottom. So I'll use thin stiff wire to move the float. If you have the float arm, it would be easier.

As I remember installing the sender the first time, I only had about 20 gallons in my 105 tank, so it was showing empty. Don't think the pickup tube is that high because I'm sure I had gotten the tank at one time before this and it was lower. Will have to see if I can see the pickup tube inside the tank to see how far from the bottom it is

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I remember a time back in the early 80's I had a 24 foot cruiser with a cabin and some folks wanted an on water test drive...We stupid me forgets to put the transom plug in and it went downhill from there, we were on the Columbia river in WA and the boat starts taking on a lot of water., could not get the engine to refire. So I dive off the transom, feel around and put the plug in, still no joy on the engine.

Ended up throwing a rope around my shoulders and swam about 2 miles to the dock to get that sucker out of the river, but I can say, those folks had never had quite an experience like that before, they ran away from me when we got back to the dock! LOL

alldodge

Staff member
I've towed many boaters in, and some were several miles to the nearest. One took 1/2 the day an we were going for lunch to the far end of the lake, but its the code for me.

Last one we towed said he didn't know why it wouldn't run, they just left the dock and was pulling tubes. Asked if he had gas and he "sure filled up yesterday". OK he was also out of gas, but wouldn't admit it. We were headed back in, so after dropping them off at the gas dock, we went to our slip, and watch as he git some gas, and then fired up and away they went again

tpenfield

Staff member
I've run out a couple of times . . . once right at the fuel dock . . . a second time, on my way to the fuel dock.

Last week we pulled into the fuel dock, and THEY had run out of fuel :noidea:

Original fuel gauge?