NFL - Regular Season Debates/News/Banter

aspeck

Staff member
Saw a meme on FB yesterday ... an official was calling a Roughing the Passer penalty and the explanation was, "Defender did not lay a pillow down for the QB to fall on before tackling him" Just seemed way to appropriate.

I don't want to see players hurt or injured for life, but there are some inherent risks that come with playing football. If you want to play, you take that risk. You try to minimize the risk, but not at the cost of the game itself. I have a bad knee, 2 bad ankles, and a reconstructed shoulder from playing the game. The older I get, the more I pay for it, but I would do it all over again. I would condition better/smarter, but I would do it again.

42354874_10156336193360709_533538580019019776_n.jpg

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I played too. My shoulder has been screwed up 4 over 20 years. Like you, Speck, i would condition better and do it again. What position? I was a RB....

aspeck

Staff member
I was offensive guard, defensive middle guard or tackle, depending. But mostly I protected the bench! LOL!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why is it that QB's are treated with kid gloves, yet the same laying on of bodies is OK against ball carriers and receivers?

I don't want players hurt, any player - Not just QB's!

aspeck

Staff member
Because not all QB's are built like Big Ben ... and a 300lb defensive lineman vs a 180lb QB ... but, yea, you are correct ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Its ironic that Mathews got upset over a rule that came about to protect "his" QB. In essence he's saying Rodgers is soft. Not that i disagree....😁

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
My .02 on everything.... Its all about the money!! When a receiver, lineman, RB go down, ratings stay the same. When a QB goes down, ratings decline. QBs bring in way more money than any other position and its not even close.

As far as the new rules, they are being applied inconsistently and/or incorrectly. WIMUSKY your irony argument is completely bogus and I have seen it over and over since his hit on Cousins by Vikings fans. The rule states that he quarterback has to be in the act of throwing or just thrown the ball, rendering him defenseless. The calls on Mathews are bogus in that 1) his hit against cousins was supposedly a 'scoop and drive down' action, NFL said they would send video to teams with an explanation. Low and behold, they never sent the video and haven't given a reason why. 2) the hit on Smith in Washington, he never even tried to throw the ball so the rule was incorrectly applied since he was not defenseless, he was a runner at the time of the hit. Nevermind the hit against Rodgers earlier in the game where he was supplexed and landed on. Regardless, GB had more chances to win these games and didn't come through so you can't put the losses squarely on the refs.

Tinfoil hat time.... It is a contract year for Mathews. Any press is good press for him. He is still getting to the quarterback, and teams are seeing this now after years of futility and injury. He may be doing this on purpose for the exposure.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As far as the new rules, they are being applied inconsistently and/or incorrectly. WIMUSKY your irony argument is completely bogus and I have seen it over and over since his hit on Cousins by Vikings fans.

wahlejim

Bogus, eh? Hardly. My comment couldnt be more spot on. This has nothing to do with Cousins or Viking fans. It has everything to do with Mathews calling players soft, which includes Rodgers, his own QB.

This all started during the 2017 season when Barr put Rodgers on his back which ended his and the Packers season.

During the off season they came up with the Rodgers rule as known across the league. Is it a ridiculous rule? You bet. Is it inconsistant? You bet. Basically, if you put a QB on his back, you will called for roughing. I saw a recent game where a QB was sandwiched between 2 defensive players. It was a hard hit. No flag..

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have seen that, and I agree he is a marked man, but even Rodgers has said that the new rule goes too far and is not being officiated correctly. He has said that the Vikings shouldn't have been flagged when he was brought down in week 2.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I believe there is a rule already in place about driving a QB into the ground. I could be wrong. This new rule has definitely changed the game.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That was most entertaining ..:lol: .
Tackles come from different angles and speeds .. All of those tackles looked good to me .. So the defender must risk injury to himself to save a little pain on the QB ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Bell will be back week 7, Steelers bye week. So how do u Steeler fans feel?

GA_Boater

Bell will be back week 7, Steelers bye week. So how do u Steeler fans feel?

We'll see during Week 7.

Traded the next day unless the Steelers keep him because they are 1-4-1.

aspeck

Staff member
Bell has realized he has shot himself in the foot .... no one was interested in him when the Steelers announced they were shopping him. That hurt his ego... and he realized he was hurting his own value, the very thing he was trying to protect. Some how he felt that coming back in 2 weeks would help his cause. I predict he gets traded(because his cost will only be about $8M. Then the team that gets him will put him under the trade clause which means they will have to pay him 128% (or something close to that) of this year’s salary ($8m) next year. Oppsy... how did that work out, Bell?

GA_Boater

For a guy who says he wants to retire a Steeler, he sure has strange way of showing it.

It seems like he's ignoring his agent. Guess he never watched Jerry Maguire

aspeck

Staff member
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell told ESPN he is playing football in 2018 and does not expect to be traded.
Does not expect to be traded because no one has shown any interest in the prima-dona ...

Bell plans to be ready for the Week 8 matchup with the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 28 in Pittsburgh and will decide how much practice time he needs accordingly, a source said.
Who is in charge of the team and who should be making those decisions? Someone needs to learn what a COACH is supposed to do. Bell, your job is to be there with the rest of the team at the START of practice and COACH decides who needs to practice and when.

Bell, who is still sitting out while refusing to sign his franchise tender, said he's in prime physical condition and could play football "tomorrow" if he needed. He added he'll be "fully committed" to playing his best for Pittsburgh upon his return.
Ummm ... said the same thing last year, didn't sit out as long, was horrible his first game back and improved every game till he was back to "normal" playing ability after 3-4 weeks.

The Steelers are exploring trade options for Bell, though Bell believes he can stay with the team. The Steelers told Bell during franchise-tag negotiations that they would transition-tag him in 2019, which would set the stage for Bell to negotiate with other teams while Pittsburgh holds his rights. The 2019 transition-tag number is expected to be more than $17 million.
That WAS what the tag was worth, but since he is only playing a little over 1/2 the season, his salary for this year is a little more than $8M, making the transition tag somewhere in the range of $11M. Now he can petition the NFL to allow the Transition Tag to be based on the WHOLE year salary, but that is not a given since he will not have played, or been paid, for a full year.

"I could be naïve or hopeful, but at the end of the day I feel like that's what's going to happen," Bell said about re-signing with the Steelers. "I don't think they really want me gone. That could be me being prideful. But I'm still holding out hope."
Yep, that COULD be you being prideful ... you have been known to be prideful before ...

"It's costing me some fans," Bell said. "A lot of people call me selfish but I'm really not. I'm doing it for guys behind me or guys who don't understand what's going on in the business of football. The 22 years I've been playing football, I've always brought value. I don't think the Steelers valued me as much."
See prideful answer above .. And be honest with yourself ... you are not doing it for those that come behind you, you are doing it for you. A little honesty would help the situation. You want more money, you want less playing time, you, you, you ... where is the we in team? Where is concern for you team mates? Your fans? Yep, 2 years in a row, it has cost you a LOT of fans, Mr. Bell!

Last edited: