NFL - Regular Season Debates/News/Banter

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think it was a mistake by the eagles

He's only played a full season in his rookie year, then 13 games when Foles took over and won the SB and last year only 11 games with back issues. Too much and way too soon, plus Foles is with JAX now.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That’s a bunch of money for someone that’s been pretty injury prone .. Maybe he’s past that now and can stay on the field ..
Darn , we waited to late to sign Kaepernick ... Ohh well our lose is the Hawks gain .. :joyous:

aspeck

Staff member
Ex PSU Nittany Lion and 11 year Chicago Bears Kicker, Robbie Gould resigns with the 9ers for a 2 year $19.5M deal ... "Chicago will aways be my home" says Gould.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
How do you all feel about Melvin Gordon wanting to tear up his rookie contract and maybe Ezekiel Elliot pulling a Laveon Bell to get out of his rookie contract? Personally I don't like these rookie contracts. If you are one of the best at your job you should be paid as so. I don't care if you are a NFL RB or a Plumber. I don't know who from the NFLPA negotiated that one in the CBA.

GA_Boater

Gordon has no leverage if the Chargers stand pat. If he sits out the season, his rookie contract extends to cover 2020. He isn't making Bell dough either, so his lifestyle will take a hit.

Jerry Jones is an idiot when it comes to liking players (Romo) and giving them the moon. Jones likes Elliott and will pay him, which will cause cap issues for Prescott when it's his time.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The NFL players union is by far the weakest of any professional sports. NFL players get 5 years of health insurance coverage after retirement, NBA for life. Granted less NBA players but still an example of a bad labor agreement, then again the current players do not want to support the past players.

GA_Boater

When the last union contract was finalized in 2011, the average NFL career was 3.3 years. The agreement set rookie contract length at 4 years. NFL Vets aren't very good negotiators. Or is it because they help make the rules for new players with no say in the contract talks and these new players are after their jobs?

We're hearing about players like Gordon and Elliott because after 3 years rookie contracts can be renegotiated. Since base rookie pay is fixed by position, I don't blame a guy with 3 years under his belt to want more, especially if he is a top performer.

The NFL and Union will be working on a new contract to replace the current version expiring at the end of this season. Rookies won't be any better off.

aspeck

Staff member
I guess he didn't learn that the numbers just didn't work out for LeVeon Bell when he sat out a year. He has back-ups that were doing as well as Gordon and Gordon only played one full season ... Dude, you are not Bell, and you don't want to be Bell.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Bell was established and it didn't work for him. Not sure what Gordon is thinking...

bassman284

Commander
Ex PSU Nittany Lion and 11 year Chicago Bears Kicker, Robbie Gould resigns with the 9ers for a 2 year $19.5M deal ... "Chicago will aways be my home" says Gould.

It tickles me to see Robbie get a nice contract even though it's with the 9ers, who I hate. I'm a life long Bear fan (which means I love them and hate them simultaneously) and I always really liked Robbie even though he was Nittany Lion (who I also hate).

I almost stopped being a Bear fan when they dumped Gould. Even by Chicago Bear standards, that was stupid. They never had a decent kicker since.