Fence replacement cost w/ neighbor

ezbtr

Commander
I always thought 50%????? And our one set of neighbors won't even let me reimburse them for a few months ago for a small fix, the wind here flattens wood fences, I need to talk to another set of neighbors(back) soon.
I paid for a small 2 post replacement early this year w/ another neighbor and told her , and did pay for all - oops my bad, whats proper?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The only occasion I had with such a circumstance was long ago when I was living in southern California. My dog ate a hole in my next door neighbor's privacy fence and went for a few laps in his backyard pool. :lol:

I bought the supplies and the neighbor coached me on how to hammer a nail. That said, he was not impressed with my work! :laugh:

alldodge

Staff member
Would say the norm is 50/50 but if the neighbor does not want to pay there is not a lot that can be done about it. Replaced the back fence with one, and we agreed 50/50 and both did the work. So when done he got off cheaper because he found some free pickets. His comment is I had X and you had X pickets. I just let it go

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Robert Frost said good fences make good neighbors, sometimes you don't get help paying for it but at least there is a fence.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
A fence should be located, owned, and maintained by one property owner. But sometimes the fence has been there longer than either adjacent property and its unclear whose it is, or whose property it is on, and even if you had a survey done ($), it may wander back and forth on both properties. Typically, the "finished" side of a fence "should" face away from the owner's property.

But, it's not always so cut and dry. Communication between neighbors is key, and come to an agreement. 50/50 sounds good, but then you have to agree on how/what/when/$ maintenance is done. Not an easy situation when it's not clear whose fence it is...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The fences I put up on my property always installed just inside the property line . Reg privacy fence I do put the finish side facing neighbors . But I like the inside structural look better anyway ..I would never ask a neighbor to help pay for a fence that I wanted to install ..

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Around here fences are typically not 50/50. When i lived in the city, I had to put a privacy fence because of the dog. The only conversation I had with the neighbor was, I was putting one up and were the property line was. Typically, if the finish side is facing you its the neighbors, if its facing the neighbor its yours.

Whats weird is, if my tree falls on his garage it's his problem.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Fences are heavily regulated in many locales, not so much in others. Set backs also come into play

then there are the rural fencing laws which require you to pay half.

Check local laws.

I wont object if you pay for my fence.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Whoever wants the fence, pays for the fence. If your neighbor paid for it and won't let you reimburse, they wanted it more than you for same reason.... :peep:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Reading these posts reminds me just how lucky I am that I'm separated from my neighbor by a knoll and a 1/2 mile wide field of soy beans leaveing me responsible for my own fences...it's totally worth it...lol

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Whoever wants the fence, pays for the fence. If your neighbor paid for it and won't let you reimburse, they wanted it more than you for same reason.... :peep:

A couple of months after I moved into my house in 2000, the next-door neighbor approached me to help replace the fence separating our yards. He wanted me to pay half. It wasn't my fence, and I didn't need a fence. He did. I refused, but when he argued with me I allowed him to place the "finished" side facing his yard. As the new neighbor I did it to keep the peace, but I thought he had a lot of nerve. We stayed cordial, but I never made any effort to become friends with the guy.

My .02

southkogs

Staff member
Fortunately, all of the fences that border my yard are definitely not mine. We've never even tied into them - just kinda' figured out how to live without 'em and honestly don't like big privacy fences. I don't mind helping my neighbors work on 'em (they're all good guys), but I'm not buying a fence anytime soon.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
We're with Mr. kogs. If my neighbor wants to put up a fence I'll let him. Don't care what kind or how tall. It will be his fence; his money; his upkeep. Something else I don't have to mess with. Have heard many horror stories about HOA's; arrogant neighbors; height restrictions;etc..

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
In California most fences are right on the property lines dividing the properties. In that case if a new fence in needed then it should be 50/50. You both share the fence, you both get the benefit of the fence, it’s on the property line. If a fence is entirety on one persons property then it is the owners responsibility.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
One of my buddys down in Houston had a situation where a dog chewed on 4 cedar boards on his neighbors fence. He found a note on his front door. It was a copy of a receipt for $108 from a Fence Co. Written on the receipt was "Expect you to pay half"! He stapled a $20 bill to the note and wrote "Will pay for material"; and returned the note. He was leasing the house; and was dog sitting for a friend.