Probably getting another pup, sleep w/ present one?

ezbtr

Commander
Kooper needs a pal, he does have play dates w/ neighbors dogs, they all have a blast, all neighbors have between 1-4 dogs here :) .
We'll go to the same pound and get some type of puppy age Shepard mix again.
Should the new one have his/her own crate? Kooper loves his and there is enough room - for now.
P.S. Oh btw, he healed up perfect from leg surgery a few months ago, and so am I, LOL!!

Heinz

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can't answer that until you know how the dogs interact. They could not really get along, but learn to tolerate each other. They could be inseparable best buds. And they could play at sleep time and sleep at play time. I have one that hates every other dog in the world, but she's not a fighter/biter. She is just a rude b*****. lol I have another that is one of the best dogs ever. She loves everyone. She loves everything. She will fight to defend her pack (she is a shep), but she would not hurt anyone or anything else that she sees as hers. But she is a worker, not a player. Then we have the terror on 4 paws... aka the beagle. He wants to play with everyone and everything. He doesn't understand why pup 1 is so rude. He wants to play with pup 2 24/7/365 and she just gets annoyed. They get along great - but the 6 yr old shep doesn't have the same life goals and dreams as the 1 year old beagle. He also doesn't understand why frogs aren't as tough as they look and why they pop so easily - but that's another story.

Point is - your dogs will have their personalities. You can train them to suppress bad traits, but you can't force bonding. They either will, or won't. Its always a good idea to confirm a "return" option if you get home and they don't/can't get along. It will be a miserable 12 to 14 years if they don't.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Seperate crates. We have 2 huskies, one just turned 6mths, the other 4yrs. They each have their own crate. The only way to go.....

southkogs

Staff member
I've never had dogs that didn't get along (most of the time) ... but I've always crated them separately. I don't know that I've ever seen two dogs crammed into even a large crate. (Kennel would be a different story depending on size)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
each dog needs their own space. separate crates. they may choose to sleep in one crate or the other together when it is open but when it is closed they need to be separate.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We have never crated our Dogs. When we had 2 they each had their own beds, but preferred the one we slept in. Cute little puppies have a tendency to become big slobbering Dogs.

ezbtr

Commander
Crates around here are cheap/free, so we'll get the new pup his/her own, Thanks guys!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
We have been looking for another for almost a week.Have hit a bunch of shelters looking; Our problem is what they consider to be a small puppy ends up being a miniature pony. Not looking for a lap dog; bred not important. We'll keep looking.

ezbtr

Commander
We have been looking for another for almost a week.Have hit a bunch of shelters looking; Our problem is what they consider to be a small puppy ends up being a miniature pony. Not looking for a lap dog; bred not important. We'll keep looking.

We're going for a Sheperd mix, the one we have is perfect , will prob be not more than 50 lbs, he's 8 mos and 35 ish I think, no lap dogs here either! We have a litter of 3 female Shep pups that are 1 month old, have to wait 4 more weeks to adopt, Kooper will be ecstatic!! :)

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Looked on a local neighborhood Website and found "Solo". He is suppose to be a Harvey rescue; one year old; mixed bred; weighs 12-14 lbs; house broke; shots UTD; was raised inside a apartment. He belongs to a young couple who are moving and the dog can't go. Comes with kennel; food; and leash. Free! (Sounds like a ad from Craig's List) Suppose to send a pix.

The Admiral found some puppies in Big H.we are going to look at too. Turnkey adoption is $50; but they have a "Waggey
Wednesday"; 1/2 price

It's almost like shopping for a house or a car; Too Many to Pick From!.