Garage Remodel

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, thought I would share why I haven't been on the water for a few weeks.

Kiddo #2 arrives in January, so I've been busting around the house trying to get things ready. Currently the house is 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Since our guest bedroom will soon become a nursery, we plan on converting the unfinished basement into a mother-in-law suite of sorts. Bathroom, bedroom, kitchenette, etc.

Our house is a side-side split, so there are stairs going down from the kitchen to the garage, and then from the garage to the basement. Since you have to go through the garage to get to the basement, we didn't want it to feel like you are leaving part of the living space, so we decided to tackle it first. I've also always wanted a halfway functional shop, so this kills two birds with one stone.

The garage was mostly finished when we moved in, with drywall, AC, and a natural gas heater. However, the previous owner built his own shelves everywhere that were 100% function, and 0% form. Tearing them out was the first step.

Here's how it looked when we started. Don't judge too much for what a mess it was in there.

CPtvPRn.jpg

N3HYtJa.jpg

CtL1SDN.jpg

And the pile of stuff that came down. Ended up pitching about half of it. (Don't tell the wife!)

zOyG0Z7.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Once all the junk and tools and junk tools were off the shelves, the started to come down.

EYKe77q.jpg

FF1FiYa.jpg

Just about a million and change holes to be filled.

FUtU1zV.jpg

Dang near enough plywood to rebuild a glass boat came down.

iq7Yvbn.jpg

Once the shelves were down, and the holes filled, paint went on. Main color is Shewinn Williams "Cotton White".

FHfi1cT.jpg

p4No9JU.jpg

Corner with our gas heater.

Vn58zUV.jpg

l6i4GyS.jpg

And paint work done. Trim is Sherwinn Williams "Outerspace"

Ie2Tzm4.jpg

1DZYXo9.jpg

zJkEYMK.jpg

MPnQzsR.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
After much debate on what we wanted to do with the floors, we decided on an acid stain, sealer, and high gloss wax. This should allow for a floor that is easy to clean, looks amazing, and is super durable. We ended up ordering a kit from Concrete Camouflage. Nothing but excellent things to say about their products and customer service so far. First step was to degrease.

Went to harbor freight for the first round of supplies since I'm a peasant.

bzgfWp5.jpg

gyQOdmn.jpg

8qaWJHI.jpg

This part was extra fun

cqUbG6T.jpg

Once the kit came in, we did a test spot in an area that will be covered by cabinets. I wanted to test a section of floor that was pretty badly stained, to just how much more prep work was needed.

jUPhTog.jpg

After several final cleanings with Trisodium Phosphate and a thorough rinising, it was time to stain. We masked the walls and got down to business.

We decided to go with two colors. Turqouise, with Saddle as the accent. Goal was to end up with something that looks like patina-ed copper.

We sprayed saddle all around the perimeter, and then the first coat of turquoise. It really soaked in, as was to be expected on such an old floor (house was built in 58).

mtl3iZg.jpg

bvrUmZi.jpg

After the first coat was dry enough to walk on, we sprayed turquoise and saddle simultaneously to blend them.

7iJ1AC0.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
After two coats, I emailed my contact at Concrete Camouflage back to see how to proceed, since we still had some stain left. He recommended we neutralize and rinse the floor, see what we have, and then reapply if needed. So that's what we did.

Phone camera doesn't do the colors justice at all. They're much richer and less transparent in person.

AHYnGxT.jpg

DvH69Je.jpg

A dried spot

4jyWgp6.jpg

After the floor dried, we decided to touch up in a few areas. Then we rinsed and neutralized again.

nS0XwbR.jpg

M4PVP5f.jpg

rz6eSTu.jpg

5RFDZTX.jpg

Once that dried fully, we started applying sealer. First coat went on last night.

pxSoVKS.jpg

Tcqsmgn.jpg

I applied the second coat of sealer this morning before work.

Next step will be the wax and new cabinets and counters. My folks are in the process of remodeling their whole house, so this weekend, my son and I will drive down to Wichita to get their hand-me downs. I'll update once more progress is made.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks good !
I tried my hand at acid stain on an outdoor kitchen counter top . Turned out great and not really that hard to do .

aspeck

Staff member
Looks awesome! Love the floor! May I ask how much you have spent on the floor and how many sq Ft? We want to do something like this to our fire station, but are concerned about the cost.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Looks good !
I tried my hand at acid stain on an outdoor kitchen counter top . Turned out great and not really that hard to do .

Thanks! Toughest thing has been finding where to put everything in the mean time, since there is a lot of sitting around waiting for chemical reactions to happen.

Looks awesome! Love the floor! May I ask how much you have spent on the floor and how many sq Ft? We want to do something like this to our fire station, but are concerned about the cost.

Thank you. It's 505 sq ft. Right now, I'm at about $.65 a sq/ft. If you have more of the supplies than I did, it would probably be closer to $.50. I had to buy several brushes, brooms, and sprayers that I didn't previously have.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Sealer is all cured now.
xa8UQjc.jpg

Tonight, the boy and I head to go get the cabinets and counters, and the misses will apply the high gloss wax. End is halfway in sight!!

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
This weekend was productive, but served to remind me why I'm a desk jockey and not a general contractor. Good lord I am sore!

Got to my folks' house on Friday afternoon, and immediately started on tear down. This is what we were facing. They have kept their kitchen in great shape, even though it is dated. Their remodel will look nice, and the hand me downs will look great in the garage.

H2xnltE.jpg

Dxkyoku.jpg

8XKaked.jpg

By mid Saturday morning, we had everything torn down and into the garage. Mom looks unsure.

HY5JiD5.jpg

Started loading the uhaul I rented to get everything back. I really need to buy a trailer. It would give my Expedition the pickup capabilities it lacks right now.

7vqoZwJ.jpg

Saturday afternoon, once we were back from Wichita, we started reassembly. I had to cut the countertop just to the left of the dishwasher, but we were able to splice pieces back together with ease.

7nybV7q.jpg

And how it looked as of last night. Still have a million things to do, but I smile every time I open the door and look into the garage.

ESdGwXt.jpg

rwNfYji.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
Sweet! Don't you love it when a plan comes together????

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Sweet! Don't you love it when a plan comes together????

It's certainly getting there. Have lots of little things to do. Kickplate trim, wiring, etc. Been chipping away at it every night after work.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, still have a few odds and ends to wrap up (touch up painting, figure out what to do with the stairs, build a mobile tool cart for the last piece of counter), but it's finally looking the way I want it to in there. Cars were gross and wet, so I'll wash them this evening so they can be back inside. Thanks for tagging along on this one!!

2ak1ozl.jpg

bP69eos.jpg

aJxwS2C.jpg

82jB8sZ.jpg

WY4ieaD.jpg

yXItYpw.jpg

XTheoVH.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Very nice and neat job there. Save these pics because in a few years that garage is going to be full of toys and bikes and other kids stuff, not the bikes with a V twin the pedal type.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Very nice and neat job there. Save these pics because in a few years that garage is going to be full of toys and bikes and other kids stuff, not the bikes with a V twin the pedal type.

Haha! We'll see about that. Kiddo's mustang is already in the corner. Luckily, we have a big shed for a lot of those outside toys. I say that now though....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
In My former life with a former life we had a 3 car garage. I think the 2 cars were parked in it once. My bike was buried in the corner and it eventually looked like one of those places on the TV show Hoarders. No idea where all that junk came from and shudder to think how much it all cost. You and your wife have really done a great job there. The jury is still out as far as acid washing goes. My kid brother did his HVAC business shop in it and for what it cost him and the labour I might have tiled over the concrete. Wouldn't it be a boring world though if we all liked the same things.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
In My former life with a former life we had a 3 car garage. I think the 2 cars were parked in it once. My bike was buried in the corner and it eventually looked like one of those places on the TV show Hoarders. No idea where all that junk came from and shudder to think how much it all cost. You and your wife have really done a great job there. The jury is still out as far as acid washing goes. My kid brother did his HVAC business shop in it and for what it cost him and the labour I might have tiled over the concrete. Wouldn't it be a boring world though if we all liked the same things.

Yeah, I can see it being cost prohibitive if you hired it done. Since I did everything myself, my cost came out about $.70 per sq ft. Couldn't tile for that.