Kids calling back?

ezbtr

Commander
All my kids (32, 29, 19) don't seem to get the idea of returning texts or calls often enough, sure they are busy, but seems to me a lack of manners or is it my "old" 54 year old self? ;)

southkogs

Staff member
I'm still learning on this end Heinz. My oldest is 23 and youngest is 19. I'm learning how to balance the "hey ... pay attention to me, I'm still funding your little fanny" side with the "I actually want you out working and making a way in this world" side.

I'm not very good at the balance yet.

It's actually made me start being more intentional about calling my folks and visiting more regularly.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This reminds me...I need to call my mom back. I am 59.

Just so you know, this will never end.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We talk to our son every few weeks, one of our daughters at least a couple times each week and we have one daughter we have not received a phone call from since she was 15 and she is now 34, but we do talk to her on facebook every once in a while. Depends on the kid..

tpenfield

Staff member
The 'kids' (ages 27 & 26) call or text every other day. We just had them, along with a big crew of their college friends to Cape Cod for a boating and beaching weekend.

ezbtr

Commander
The oldest 32(adopted, had her since she was 14 mos) is the worst, everyone is totally used to her - when in Japan for 7 years, called, or emailed maybe once a year when she wanted something/money, we all know that doesn't happen anymore - she's been in Europe last 2 mos, 29 yr old lives w/ her fiance, I generally don't call, she owes me enough replies, and 19 yr old, still helping him w/ college - honestly he IS busy, working P/T, fraternity, good grades and in a band.
I honestly think it may be because of social media, lack of manners(they were raised better) or just air headed ness?
I think it's BS if they call just because they need something.
Oh well, at least I love where I live (TX last 6 mos) have a fun puppy and great gf, retired-ish, F150 and Mustang - fun :)

Heinz

aspeck

Staff member
Every kid is different, just as every parent is different ... you have to decide how much interaction YOU want and then be the parent. If you want to talk to your kid, call them. If not, don't. But sitting around and stewing because they don't call won't get you anywhere but upset.

I talk to my oldest daughter (34 yo step daughter) and her husband about twice a week and see the grand kids at least once a week (They live about 15 miles away). I talk my middle child (32 year old step-son) about once a month. Do some FB posts and messages back and forth. See him about 2 times every 3 months (he and his wife live about 5 miles away). Youngest daughter I have to see every day (16 and lives with us). But it is not their responsibility to call me. They were raised to have their own lives and be self sufficient. I did my job and they are doing an adequate job (well, the oldest daughter is, the son still has some growing up to do, but he has come a long way and I am proud of all 3 of them). I cherish the calls from them unsolicited, but I don't expect them to call.

Last edited:

ezbtr

Commander
oh no, I HAVE called them and left msgs, not stewing...

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
27 here, oldest of three. My dad and I talk on the phone almost every day, as it is how we pass time on our respective commutes home. Usually facetime mom once a week so she can see her grandson.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We were not blessed with children. Now after listening to all my brothers, cousins and close friends it may have worked out for the best. Only 1 couple we know are very close to their 2 daughters. They don't live more than 10 minutes from them. It might have something to do with Mary and Dom buying them homes for wedding gifts! We have a gaggle of nieces, nephews and now grand nieces and nephews, 12 all in. They are welcome here at the lake any time. They may drop off the grand nieces for a few days as did my brothers drop off their kids 20 years ago. The bonus is we know they are coming to pick them up after a few days, and if they don't I'll bring them back because I can. My 86 year old Mother and 91 year old Father moved from their retirement residence to a suburb so the Grand Children can visit more often. They moved back to their original residence because of "restricted parking" they never saw them and they lived 10 minutes away. Mom complains they never call, I can count on 1 hand how many times I called my Grand Mother when she was alive and alone. We would visit once every few months, maybe in Western NY across the border if I or we were in town for what ever. If I could have a do over I would see her every day if I could. I'd move her in if I knew then what I know now.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said "If there is life after death I want to come back as my parents grandchild."

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The 'kids' (ages 27 & 26) call or text every other day. We just had them, along with a big crew of their college friends to Cape Cod for a boating and beaching weekend.

Fantastic, can we join you the next time? I have relatives in Revere we can use as home base and stay In P Town at our favorite B&B, if they are still there, it's been 10 years.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, I'm guessing you mean "older" adults, LOL! :)

Yes sir. I'm also not one of those people who consider a kid who just because they turned 18 an adult, most r far from it. Heck, I'm still waiting! Lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Come on man, I am posting on a boat website and build guns for hobby....

Cue the theme song...

"I don't want to go up, I am a toys are us kid"

:lol:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If I don't call my parents every week, 91 and 87 respectively I just say "what do you mean I talked to you yesterday." Oh that's right Johnny I forgot"

ezbtr

Commander
Well middle girl called home POS answering machine, svc came w/ cable package, we check it maybe once a week!!! So called her cell back, called oldest girl who just got back from Europe and actually talked to her for about 40 mins!!! Now just waiting on youngest 19 yr old son, LOL :) Gues this empty nester(me) is getting used to the new, no kid in household house! :)