Civil Forfeiture Struck down by Court

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i think it was basically a cash grab and bs i agree convicted folks for selling drugs should have to forfeit all however innocent folks were losing stuff to bogus charges

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's hard to believe that practice was as widespread and lasted as long as it did. It's easily the most abominable thing I've ever seen done by a government agency in the U.S., and I've been around a long time.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It's hard to believe that practice was as widespread and lasted as long as it did. It's easily the most abominable thing I've ever seen done by a government agency in the U.S., and I've been around a long time.

I worked for the Federal government for almost 27 years in the Army, I could tell you some really eye opening things about some of the rules, regulations and practices they have!

:faint2:

alldodge

Staff member
Now law enforcement will need to find another place to take money. This had gotten so bad that the amount of money they were taking in exceeded the amount of money being stolen across the country

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Now law enforcement will need to find another place to take money. This had gotten so bad that the amount of money they were taking in exceeded the amount of money being stolen across the country

Road pirates

Old Ironmaker

Captain
They do the same thing here in Ontario. I know of a guy that was arrested on a dope charge. They seized about 250K's worth of vehicles, snow machines, ATV's and a boat. That sounds like a lot of money but considering a Ford F-150 can run $80,000.00 it adds up quickly. After a 2 year trial and found not guilty he got his vehicles back. They were basically ruined sitting in a lock up for 2 years and they had already auctioned off the boat and toys. The Crown basically said sue us. With what? Legal costs aren't recoverable here.

I don't like when a journalist uses acronyms in an article and doesn't write what it means once before it's used. Unprofessional to say the least, journalism 101. What is "IJ" to mean?

edit: I reread the piece. Institute for Justice. He waited until the very end of the article to write that, still not good.