Public Service Announcement, Don't buy..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I purchased a new fuel tank here locally at Wally World, well known brand, but I would recommend, until the company that makes it addresses some issues on it, don't purchase one. It is called a Scepter Neptune brand and it is a piece of junk, it leaks, you can't install the fuel fitting because of the inlet fitting they are using, that does not give you room to screw in a standard Evinrude fitting into it and the vent system does not work correctly, it will allow fumes to build up expanding the tank or stopping fuel flow.

So my recommendation is stay away from them until they address the issues they have with these portable tanks, I have been in contact with the company and have been discussing their design flaws today, perhaps they will address them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Moeller or bust....

Well I was looking for an Attwood, but these are all they had, and they used to be mixed up with Moeller and apparently they have just split the sheets with Moeller, but again, they have problems they need to address.

What I will probably do with it is put the fittings on a small section of hose with the proper fittings and fix the vent and use it, but I was really mad when I tried to take it back and Wally world won't take it back. So this suggests they are aware of the problems and just selling their remaining stock out.

I just happen to be one of those "squeaky wheel" types and will continue to make noise until they address the problem.

In the mean time, I transferred the fuel to one of my old Johnson Cruise a day metal tanks that I normally use for displays.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Had the same issue getting the line hooked to the tank, The normal fitting with the barbs comes in at an odd angle, then the line kinks and stops fuel flow. I only use this tank for one motor, so I switched the fitting to a Chrysler straight fitting, quick coupler type, like an air fitting, but for fuel. Works perfectly.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
You went to Walmart in a quest to get a quality product? There is always a reason why it is cheaper at Walmart.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You went to Walmart in a quest to get a quality product? There is always a reason why it is cheaper at Walmart.

Walmart carries a lot of the same brand names for boat stuff that west marine, Iboats and other suppliers carry. This walmart used to carry Attwood and Moeller tanks, this was all they had in stock the other day. The quality on this tank is not bad, it is simply a manufacturing error and the company and I have been talking about it and they are taking care of the issue.

So automatically assuming the problem is Walmart is not the correct path to follow.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Walmart buys at a volume level where they can issue specifications in the products purchase from companies. Like I said there is always a reason why a product is cheaper.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Walmart buys at a volume level where they can issue specifications in the products purchase from companies. Like I said there is always a reason why a product is cheaper.

As I said, I have been talking to the company, this is one of their standard production run tanks that there was an error made on. The price on it was within a couple of dollars that any of the online sellers we getting for it, I purchased at Walmart because it is basically one of the only places we can buy certain items for boats around here, most places don't have parts departments and their retail stores are very small, very expensive and very brand specific to the new boats they carry.

I know Walmart sometimes dictates production specifications on some items, but these are the same exact tank that other sellers offer. This type of stuff is about the only reason I even go into Walmart, until I bought this boat, I had not been in there for over 3 years.

The company in Canada that made this tank, used to be part of the Moeller company, so they know how to make tanks, this particular one a mistake was made that had nothing to do with Walmart. I was not looking for the cheapest price, I was looking for something I didn't have to wait 10 days to two weeks to get.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I agree with mt. I bought my tank at L&M fleet, same tank we have at the marina, only a fair amount less $$.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just an update on this thread about the tank. Well I had put it back in the box because I could not return it and talked back and forth with the company, they were easy to work with and they were aware of the problem.

They sent me a low profile Evinrude tank fitting, that took me all of about 2 minutes to screw in and the tank works now, so I will retract my "Don't Buy" the tank is fine if you can find the correct fitting that was specifically made for this tank.

It is a Scepter Part number 04068 which is a low profile fitting that screws in with no problem.

But make sure you can get it before you buy the tank, because none of the local stores carry this particular fitting and the standard Evinrude/Johnson fitting will not fit this tank.

bigdee

Commander
The EPA have done what they have done to portable gas cans to fuel tanks. They now cost twice as much and blow up like a balloon in the sun. Unvented is BS, I have to leave the fill cap partially unscrewed to work right.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
The EPA have done what they have done to portable gas cans to fuel tanks. They now cost twice as much and blow up like a balloon in the sun. Unvented is BS, I have to leave the fill cap partially unscrewed to work right.

Have to do the same with mine. My old OMC metal tanks still work great.