Did Garmin Screw Echomap Chirp Users By Making The New Live Scope Incompatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebassinguy

Recruit
I am grappling with the disappointment of finding out that the new Live Scope system will not be compatible with my Echomap Chirp 93sv so I thought I would vent, respectfully, just a little bit.

With the introduction of Garmin's Panoptix "live sonar" just a few years ago, the future of sonar was on the cusp of momentous change. As fishing legend Bill Dance so eloquently proclaimed in the Sons Of Anarchy parody commercial, "Y'alls sonar is just history!"

While the screen image was reminiscent of the blotchy pixelated images of 1980's-era LCD fish finders, it was indeed "Live". Combined with good eyesight and the ability to not blink very much, one could, in fact, see one blob or streak on the screen (a fish) move towards another blob or streak on the screen (your lure).

As rudimentary as this initial offering was, it offered an entirely new dimension in being able to watch a fish move towards, or away from, your lure in “real time”. This would be a huge benefit to the trolling and drop-shot crowds, if not all anglers.

Like many, recognizing the great potential, I soon hunted down the best deal I could find on an Echomap Chirp 93sv. It was what I could afford and it was "Panoptix compatible". When myself and some friends made our purchases, I predicted that panoptix 2.0 would probably offer more "chirp-like" images, but at least we would be ready and "compatible" when that new version eventually and inevitably would arrive.

Call me a prophet, my prediction has now been confirmed with the soon-to-be-released 2018 ICAST award-winning Panoptix Live Scope. Gone are the days of blotchy decades-old looking images of Panoptix 1.0.

Introducing the clearer "chirp-like" image of Live Scope, where fish look like fish and divers look like, well, human beings flailing their arms and legs towards the surface (as depicted in the newest Panoptix commercial).

With my vision and dreams of life-like real-time sonar a reality, was it finally time to pull the trigger and buy into this new technology? We could hardly wait to hook up the new Live Scope system to our Echomap Chirp 93sv "Panoptix compatible" units, via the "dedicated Panoptix" ethernet port on the back of our units (quick release brackets). Look out fish, here we come!

Not so fast!

In fact, after researching the new Live Scope system, I failed to see my heavily-advertised, mass-marketed "Panoptix compatible" Echomap Chirp 93sv with "dedicated panoptix" ethernet port, listed in the list of compatible units. How could this be, I wondered? Must be some kind of mistake, right? After hours of internet research and, finally, a call to Garmin customer support, the nightmare reality began to sink in.

The dirty rotten scoundrels at Garmin screwed us, but good!!!

They lured us in like fish in a barrel. They sweetened the pot by offering a taste of their newest tech in the "working man's" price point tier of the Echomap Chirp series. And just like thieves in the night, they used our $1000-plus investments to finance their Panoptix 2.0 project and are now saying "thanks all you Chirp-suckers. So sorry. Better luck next time."

How's that for a slap in the face? Thanks a lot, Garmin!

Please do not get me wrong.I love my Echomap Chirp 93sv. It is the best GPS/Fish finder that I have ever owned. It works awesome. But I invested in it specifically because of Panoptix compatibility.

So far, I have had no success, trying to find out what the difference is between the "Chirp" and "Plus" series, specifically relating to panoptix. They have the same resolution. They both have the ethernet port. Mine specifically is defined as a "dedicated Panoptix" port. The Plus has touch screen. Is that the key" Is that the answer?

Since Live Scope happens in it own separate black box, one would think that, just like using HDMI with our televisions, the video signal would still be transmitted via the "panoptix compatible" ethernet port. So what's the difference?

A call to Garmin customer service yielded no answers, other than, after putting me on hold and "looking into it", the guy says, "your unit is not on the list".

So here we are, fellow Chirp-suckers, feeling greatly disenfranchised by Garmin, who, thus far, has failed to provide the reasons for putting the screws to God-knows how many Echomap Chirp customers around the globe.

When Garmin marketed the Echomap Chirp series as "Panoptix compatible", in effect, they offered an invitation to join them in this wonderful new technology, to hop on-board and take a ride into the future with them, as they explore, improve and offer exciting new features for us to enjoy. This is, in essence, an implied intrinsic contract between company and customer.

My opinion is that Garmin has breached that contract.

What are your thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You joined just to air your gripe and are trolling for others to enjoin your possible class action suit.

Am I wrong? I bet you agree with this post in you thread on THT;

absolutely agree. I'm sill pissed my betamax won't take my dvd's--no matter how hard I cram them in there
!

THT didn't support your claims either.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.