Deteriorating infrastructure puts boaters at risk

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Shelter Island Launch on San Diego Bay (busiest launch on the West Coast, I've read) has been down for renovation for over a year, and is already a few months past originally stated re-opening date...but, as has always surprised me here in California, at least they don't charge to use it or to park--not yet, anyway!

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
Out here it's $45/$50, and the vehicle is 12 months from purchase date while the boat is calendar, so if you buy in July the vehicle is good through next June, but the boat only through December.

20 years ago it was $0/$0.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well still have it pretty good here, you have to register your boat when you get it, but it is a one time fee good for life or as long as you own the boat, you have to get a free sticker every two years from fish and game and we pay $5 on our car license every year to use our state parks, which is where many of the maintained boat launches are located.

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
IF you buy a NYS Empire Pass it will get you into all launches during the year it is valid. Runs $65. The bonus to the pass is that it gets you into all NYS Parks as well so you can use it for other purposes. Otherwise the state launches run $7 for day use.

They, NYS, closed Canandaigua Lake launch a few years back for renovations that were supposed to be completed during the fall. Come following spring the launch was untouched and still closed. Took till about mid-summer for it to reopen and then I really didn't notice any difference from before. A local marina I dealt with mentioned the amount of bs involved was astonishing as it was costing them business.

They, NYS, closed Black Lake launch about a year or two ago for upgrades. With the work performed, they actually made it worse. I wasn't sure that was possible but they did a bang up job of totally pooching the launch. The dock now rocks severely side to side and front to back so anyone with balance issues is going for a swim. Absolutely horrible in rough weather when you're pulling your boat out to avoid storm damage. And they protected it with large yellow concrete posts which are destined to rip off side mirrors or more if you're not paying attention to what you're doing. We won't discuss the condition of the porta potty they installed either...

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
The "boating infrastructure" in and around Western NY, certainly the upper Niagara River, Buffalo River, Canalside, etc has improved greatly in the last few years, certainly over the last 25 or 30 years. It isn't perfect, but nothing is (other than the Admiral, of course).

briangcc

Commander
I'll agree with you there Garbage Guy. The ramps generally are good and the state is dropping buku bucks into the state park system to get it upgraded. There's still outliers though, like the one I mentioned that they just "fixed" (or broke).

Last edited by a moderator:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are at $80 in Colorado for an annual parks pass. $45 a year for a registration decal, depending on vessel size.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Tell us something we don't know! The State Park launches here in WA State are dilapidated beyond belief, they charge you $35 to have a yearly pass to park on State owned "public land" and then $5 to actually launch the boat.

I'm sure each State has it's own money grubbing ways as well.

Fox News story with video...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/1...d-ramp-shortage-crumbling-infrastructure.html

At least you have launches. There is 1 County launch here that is no charge. Our county has something like 100 miles of shoreline on lake Erie and the Grand River. Unless you get to that launch before dawn you won't get a parking spot as others mostly from outside the county use it. One of the 3 private Marinas here charge $25.00 to launch and it is terrible. The other launch is 35 bucks and the last is only 10 but if you have anything over 17 feet it's too shallow to launch.

At least you have launches, seriously I wouldn't complain.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Hows that launch during the weekdays Old Ironmaker?I avoid pretty well every launch on weekends and only go on weekdays when nobody but a few diehard fishermen are out.Being retired I consider everyday a weekend,lol.The weekends seem to bring out every wackjob going.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Texas has been a "Tax Me State" for years. All revenue! Some are free; some you pay; some are run by the COE. Ramps I use are owned and maintained the county, Marinas are a rip off. 10-20 bucks weekdays; weekends 25-50. One even offers Valet service. You drive up; walk to the dock. They launch and reload your boat and park your ride.