gardening 2018

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
first batch of peppers. making jelly today, fisrt batch is done. I'll prob get 4-5 times this amount before its over, and this is from three 8x2 foot raised beds.

peppers.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yup, been doing it for last few years. it is awesome, a few different applications other than 'just' jelly but good on toast, on your sausage biscuit. Or crackers with a hunk of room temp cream cheese in a small bowl ringed with the jelly; just scoop some of both onto the cracker.

When I have a batch that doesnt set (1 of 3 from last night) i use to make a pan sauce for when we fry any kind of cutlet in a pan on the stove - best when you have a light flour coat and cook in butter. After the meat is done you add a small amount of butter, scraping the bits, then a splash of OJ (or apple or pineapple or, whatever) juice to deglase. Couple tbls of jelly to warm and turn off. Add a pat of butter to melt while fixing your plate, stir butter in and a spoon or two over the meat.

if i am lucky enough to have all batches set, I can still use regular jelly just needs a few extra minutes to melt down.

tf007

Cadet
yesterdays batches

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"800","width":"450","src":"https:\/\/s20.postimg.cc\/9odrtjh8t\/jell.jpg"**[/IMG2]

I bet that would make a great glaze on some grilled BBQ chicken!

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Ours has been off to a slow start, and I don't think this heat is helping anything but our asparagus beans. They've been going nuts! Picking at least a pound a day. Finally starting to get some peppers and tomatoes as well.

IDQQve0.jpg

ZRVsboJ.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Our tomatos are coming in hot and heavy, neighbors okra is about ready for me to can up. we went really small on garden this year.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Hot here! Cucumbers didn't make it. Got too many bell and banana peppers. No T's; cheaper at the store.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I didn't grow cukes, I did get some for $1 lb at the farmers market and made pickles for the first time. Not too bad. Not as good as dads so I'll have to keep trying.

Tomatoes cheaper at the store? I spent $8 pn four plants and prob ave had 12 lbs so far and prob will get three times more than that by fall. Plus I learned some new (not just fried) green tomato recipes.

my bells are always way behind my hots so I have to buy them for the first few batches of pepper jelly

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Cheap? Don't know; but the store I use might buy local. Tomatoes that can cover a burger were $.58 a lb I bought the bell and pepper plants;repotted them;; and are watered every other day. Miracle Gro every Saturday. They all had to be staked. I want to try growing Garlic; have tried; but they don't do well. Must be missing something.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
The admiral makes Jalepeno jelly and we eat it on ritz crackers with room temp cream cheese.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The admiral makes Jalepeno jelly and we eat it on ritz crackers with room temp cream cheese.

try this.

next time you fry up a piece if meat in a skillet, throw a pat of butter in the goodness left there, a splash of OJ (apple or pineapple or even lemon juice all work... spoon in some jelly until it melts stirring the whole time. Remove from heat, one more pat of butter until melted stir that in then spoon over your meat. Then eat.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Cheap? Don't know; but the store I use might buy local. Tomatoes that can cover a burger were $.58 a lb I bought the bell and pepper plants;repotted them;; and are watered every other day. Miracle Gro every Saturday. They all had to be staked. I want to try growing Garlic; have tried; but they don't do well. Must be missing something.

they are best planted in the fall i've heard

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
they are best planted in the fall i've heard

I take ir to be fall (at least here; 50s-60s); so I started some store bought garlic. Will see how it goes.Got to get some plastic and material to build a greenhouse for her ferns and ivys. Other GH I took down to seal the patio.