Hey Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Just knowing the forum is moderated effectively keeps the rank and file in line, unlike some of the FB boat groups I'm in were you regularly get called names by punks that if face to face wouldn't even look you in the eye.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
maybe its time to resurrect this thread

Newbies, the best thing you can do for yourself is take a small engine class at your local tech school. the basics of electrical systems, automotive systems, etc. used to be taught in high school, however that has been dropped - see your local representatives for that.

posts asking both what and how to adjust idle on a 4-stroke 5hp would indicate you do not have the first clue on a small otto-cycle engine. While I have no problem answering questions, we should not have to spoon feed you.

the factory service manuals cover all this and more.

and what is it with newbies wanting to follow me on iBoats. this is not facetube. if you want to help me work on something, show up on the weekends in work clothes and I will be glad to teach you everything I know. starting with sanding gel coat, and grinding fiberglass. however dont try to "follow" me on iboats

also, post a thread in the forums, dont PM me. my reply will always be thanks....however post in open forums.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Scott can you tell me how to set the idle on my 1949 Speeditwin ? :)
‘I don’t have a manual for it yet ...:D​​​​​​​

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There should be mix and advance levers if I recall

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey Sam, i would point you to the stickies, however I know its not in there....not like identification information for Mercruiser or Volvi drives, etc.

aspeck

Staff member
Hey Scott, can I "follow" you on iboatube? And while we are at it, my exhaust riser seems a bit short. Should I get the 4 or 5 gage muffler stretcher?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nothing like answering the same questions 10 times a week. That's why I did the rivets thread in the Starcraft section, takes the load off as others can just post a link. That and I enjoy helping out where I can.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Scott - I just added an aftermarket thingie. Should I turn it left or right. Never mind, I'll just start a new thread. :facepalm:

We see this a lot.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
for gawds sake people, you did not get a deal on a 38 year old boat with an OMC stringer drive with a rotten hull. you simply paid for someone's garbage that they didnt want to pay the disposal fee on.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No title but all is good cause I got a bill of sale .. And does anyone have a manual for this boat that I don’t know the year make or model on . I want to know the original seat pattern and layout because they are completely rotted out and trashed ..:joyous:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I just answered a post in the Merc forum,.....

They wanted to know the fittin' thread pitch on a fuel filter for an Alpha 1 Gen.II,.......

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bondo ...i answered a few with links and the askholes still didnt get it. I laughed at your response.

Im 99% certain society is suffering from schools dropping shop classes.

southkogs

Staff member
I had to Google "cow magnets." Thank you for the educational quality of this topic. :hail:

Status
Not open for further replies.