back patio

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Q5UtotC.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and after said sunset; outside looking in. There are speakers out there too, hooked into the new TV as well as a bluetooth so we can all stream our fav music when out at the pool / deck

jwSp448.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
from my cooking area in the kitchen. I took some old wood windows and removed the glass and hung up. Details on why in next post but if you look thru you can see a picture n the wall.

a9yFq8A.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The seating area. And you can see the windows. To keep it boating related they are hung with 20lb SpiderWire, tripled up. With the glass removed they are maybe 5 lbs total - eyehooks screwed in up top into the wood of the header. The picture is one my dad took on one of his annual trips to Paris - I wanted to create a Parisian cafe street scene so when sitting there with our wine - you are looking up the alley and thru the 'window' back into the cafe (my cooking area). The pic, now on canvas, is a bit small but not sure I want to order a new one. Bonus is, i ave it set up so it just lifts off to reveal a..............................TV! We didn't want to make it a room to watch TV as we have 7 of them around the house(I work for ATT Global Supply Chain growing up in DIRECTV world last 17 years so we have free TV and they are everywhere). We did want a TV for Chiefs games and other important things but not on a daily basis. And yes, in the foreground that is one of three cat trees we have in the house for our two indoor felines.

OAUoJeh.jpg

So when dad comes to visit we can drink wine in Paris with him and after he is gone we can sit in Paris and think of him...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
not quite the back patio, but there was a window there into the master bedroom. Rather than spend a month workingon the mud, I framed with flat stock, had a friend paint this, painted the frame charcoal and now...

3dCob0C.jpg

need to repaint the main wall; this weekend.

aspeck

Staff member
Awesome job! You have to be proud of the "back porch." What a lovely living space!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
2866.jpg Gorgeous! Nice job! That raised part of the deck with the telephone pole pilings would be a nice location for a koi pond to span out. You could view it from the pool side or look down at it from inside.
It's one of my hobbies. I have a 1500 gallon koi pond with about 6 huge koi a bunch of goldfish and two shubunkins.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah aspeck it is awesome to sit there and read my Economist. Never thought I'd be where we are in life. It faces due south so on one side the sun rises and sets on the other.

Joe yeah would love a pond but really only place is where the fire pit is. The other side overlooks the pool. We do use the firepit, or at least did when this was just a covered patio not sure how the flow will develop next summer. It would be an overlook from inside as well, thru the six south facing windows. In another life I had a small 400gal that I kept goldfish in and have thought about doing one again. I have a spot in one corner of the yard that I could do about a 20 foot stream to a small waterfall into a pond and would develop a seating area for two to three people. I like having intimate spaces for parties and just to have. That's a couple years off as one more interior project is to convert the master bath showed tub into a zero entry walk in.

Yours looks awesome. I love all the shade, mine won't have any. Is is a rigid liner or the mat? How deep?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
It's a rubber EPDM 45 MIL liner with a felt underlayment. At its deepest point it's about 3 feet. I rented a small backhoe called a Terramite to dig the hole. Spread sand over the soil, then the underlayment/liner.
I live in zone 6b northeastern PA, so the fish hibernate throughout the winter. When it gets real cold, ice will form, but the fish just hang out on the bottom.
It's a nice place to sit when the weather is warmer. We throw food out and they go crazy. I've had some of those koi for 9+ years. They started out at maybe 4" and are huge now. A few probably over 2 feet.
It's a fun hobby and once the natural bacterial cycle is established, it's really not a lot of work.