back patio

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
To start the job, not to finish..... I have probably done a quarter of the work which I was hoping to avoid.

well, not quite back patio related but I have several other things going on. Now that we are officially empty nesters we are bringing our house up to adult level. In one of the boys rooms I did a project. Found an old scrap of heavy metal fence, spent a couple intimate hours with a wire wheel in the drill and built a frame around it. Stained carefully to 90% match the antique furniture in the room and it looks like this

5jLfNjX.jpg
​​​​​​

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Floors down yesterday three days ahead of schedule so the wife was surprised and now that this seeming endless project is beginning to feel like a part of the house I get to live another day.....

4p2HkY0.jpg

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wow I really like the way your back patio is turning out. The floor looks great. The contrast with the lighter walls looks good. Oh and the fence headboard turned out great as well.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks. Wife isn't sold on the headboard yet but in 12 years she has always come around like she is on the antique ice cream parlor table set I got for the other side in an awkward corner of the patio. She was adamant it not to in, last night she looked it over , looked at me and said "I hate you" and walked away.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I get that from my wife on occasion as well. She is definitely better at design elements in our house, but every once in a while I come up with a nice piece that compliments her designs .

aspeck

Staff member
Beautiful! I have a few projects you could work on, Joe. When are you headed this way? LOL!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I get that from my wife on occasion as well. She is definitely better at design elements in our house, but every once in a while I come up with a nice piece that compliments her designs .

Mine is ok, but takes (literally) years to decide a paint color or design so last several years I've just started doing it myself .

the other side of the room. There will be a small tv covered by a canvas print of some sort

F1QmoOB.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
one of the last things to do is finish off the old openings. Wet sanded, paint tonight.

KdZTmH3.jpg

KdZTmH3

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
side project. My friend with the new twins called me all sad because they don't have a fireplace to hang stockings on so I'm building them a fake one. Recessed into the wall and bumped out a bit - have a 7" overall depth and is 24" x 24" opening. Mantel is right at 12 with the trim, 86" wide. Hearth is just 3/4" on top of the hardwood then tile in thinset.

nMjqPwh.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Very cool faux fireplace!
A random orbital or just vibrating sander with a shop vac attachment will make quick work on the sanding and will catch most all of the dust .. Wet sanding kinda don’t work to well .. If it’s regular mud it might do ok but if it’s quick set mud forget trying to wet sand ..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I used quick set mud once. Never again. When I set sand I use a set sanding alone to get where I need the a smooth tile grout sponge to smooth out.

Got the paint on then a few mud touch ups that eggshell paint shows on so well. Finish paint starting......now!

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok, the door has been waiting for its metal for a few months now, sitting patiently on the garage floor. And with my wife parking outside. Not good for me.... Should be up by tomorrow night. 2x3's standing on 3" side, a couple all threads thru them. The frame is 2" angle (covers the all thread nuts) and the cross beams are that U shaped stuff at Home Depot. I notched areas for the U shape to drop into so the hole frame is flush and

6cpLR1J.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Metal painted and installed. I attached with two inch self drilling screws, painted black.

lwWcemb.jpg
​​​​​​

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! RJ , the door really turned out nice !
Is there anything to catch it should it come off track ?
Maybe heavy enough just to keep it on the rail ?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
It comes with devices to assist that but without it boring y'all more than I have already it won't fall off due to space contraints and it's about 200 lbs.so would be very hard to move off track even if it could.

Last edited: