back patio

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
when we did the pool a few years back, we also covered the back patio - 22x20 - with the intention to close in. I accidentally found a bunch of brand new, double hung, argon filled, Low e windows on craigslist. Boguht all they had left, 18 I think @ $50 per. They retail for close to $400. I stuck them in the barn until the day was to come.

The day has come. They start Friday.

I did some prelim work - this used to be stairs.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. 18 windows will give you lots of light in the room. At $50 a pop that is a great price!!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I was in the Sunroom business after I took my pension. You stoled those windows, windows are about 20 to 30 bucks a square foot wholesale here. 18 windows will turn that pool room into a greenhouse in the summer, put a few high RPM ceiling fans in will really help, the more the better. 1 blowing air downwards and the other pulling air upwards. The big bonus is with the windows closed you will open it earlier and close it latter then anyone else as well you most likely will never have to heat it. We did a few pool enclosures here in southern Ontario, customers were very happy because of the extended use of their pools. One used it until the end of October, Labour Day is usually pool closure up here.

I'll make you a deal Joe, if you come up here to help me remodel the kitchen, finish the loft space, rip out and install 1200 sqft of flooring I'll come down there and supervise the window installation. Deal?

edit: I couldn't open your picture.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I did that several years ago; one of the better things I ever did.Ours tokk 14 3X6 windows. Mr.OM is right; it makes a fantastic green house; it can get hot with a metal roof. I send many mornings (weather permitting) with the first cup of coffee and enjoy the quiet. I had to take out one glass pane for the wood burning box stove stack. I know you will love it

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Being a bit further south, we just screened our 32x16 back porch.

A couple of ceiling fans, a table and chairs for dining, a couch, coffee and end tables and a couple of rocking chairs and we have a pretty comfortable, three season outside living area.

The great views are an extra

Attachments

• photo288261.jpg
    photo288261.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well for those not able to see the pic above, below you should Had trouble on my forum as well - some can some can't so I've discovered the quick copy link photoimage.org gives you a bunch of extra code in it that apparently messese some folks up.

so using the old standard [ img] stuff...

We'll need furniture, found a welder, I supply wood, we design and we have the completed prototype sofa table.

20180424_123905.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well ended with 8 3/0 6/0 windows and one 32" door. Decided to add a half bath that took away 3 more windows.

So I guess I'll be selling some windows....

Hope to have them all in today if we push, I have to work some but think we can get it. I'll get pics.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well we are progressing, almost dried in should be by close of week depending on custom glass being ready. Have pics, just too much other life happening to spend the time to post.

question to anyone smarter than me - the windows will have a 3" or so return from the wall. On ten windows that is a lot of small cuts and mudding. Is there anything that can give me a finished edge on the return to the wall sheetrock?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Drywall or case it in with wood .
just don’t use drywall on the sill if there is one ..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah no the sill will be wood or granite, and an extended one for cats and plants

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
all dried in

final rough in electric tomorrow

sheet rock starts wed

rough in plumbing done

built a small deck, found telephone pole to make it like a boat peir

20180607_175711.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
question to anyone smarter than me - the windows will have a 3" or so return from the wall. On ten windows that is a lot of small cuts and mudding. Is there anything that can give me a finished edge on the return to the wall sheetrock?

Not sure I understand the question.....

looks great btw

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Sorry I misunderstood you and thought you were doing a pool enclosure. Nice job on that room, very nice. If I understand your question as far as returns for the drywall you need corner beads no?

I deleted what I posted. Post a photo and I/we may be able to help. I have an idea what you are talking about but a pic would be great.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah,, corner heads normally. I was planning on doing the drywall myself and was looking for an easier solution. I found an easier solution. I hire the job out......

my original plan was to pay to have dried in and complete everything else myself. It would have taken until winter. Did some maths and by acting as my own GC I saved enough to hire some stuff out. Going over budget by about 20% but including new floor (we'd plan to paint for a year or two) well still be under 20k for 460 sq ft, plus another half bath. Value will come in somewhere in the 100 to 120 sq ft so ROI is good. Plus we are taking a year off boating so that is always a few grand. And if I can sell the extra window I might can take another grand off the totals

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
RJ , if I was closer I would have taken care of the drywall stuff for ya . And would have cost you nothing but maybe a few cold ones and maybe something thrown on the grill !
‘Looks really nice !