back patio

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well sphelps a plane ticket would have been cheaper and i've been known to feed the peeps.

TN, wait until i'm done and i'll post up pics. I'm only halfway done and that is not a good angle. Wife isn't sold on it yet; she doesn't hate it but she told me this is the firt thing i've done in our 10 years that she's just not sure of. She can't always see inside my head for the vision, she'll come around. Hell she was not in the boat for this project at all, i put financials on it so she agreed. The other day when i got the upper windows in and the inside mostly cleaned up she took her chair out there and sat looking around for about an hour while I mowed. Then she started crying so i did something stupid and asked why...... She loves it so much and she apologized for pushing back on it so much. Now she planning decor and colors and picking out the sink vanity and light fixtures and... and... and...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
getting around to taking out the old external door. Set with a poorly applied combo of liquid nails and silicone and brad nails shot thru the brick mold that grabbed the r/o lumber by nominally 3/8" . One, yes one 3" finish nail on the top brick mold.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
here is the 'pier' . One last pole to stand up, on the second step up next to the house. Telephone poles are not light. They kill drill bits and saw blades.

20180614_125417.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I like it. Except the rope acting as a railing. We used to use removable chains as railings and gates in some applications at the plant. A worker under me walked backwards and Walter being a tall bloke the chain caught him somewhere mid thigh to above the knees. He fell backwards 5 feet to the steel floor striking his head. Tragically a fatal accident, the first I was ever involved with and will stay with me for life. All those chain railings were removed across the plant and company's other plants the next day. Others followed our lead across the industry across the World. It looks nice and nautical, whenever I see this I tell that story to the homeowner. I would reconsider that rope Joe.

edit: what may be a compromise solution is to use taught Galvanized exterior grade steel cable horizontally in a Z pattern through eye hooks with turnbuckles. I did it next door for the widow when I mentioned the rope hazard she had exactly like yours on the deck and breakwall on the Lake.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Maybe run a rope down low then stretch some shrimp netting across the center ...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm six foot and they are waist high on me (planned that) and since they are on the outside of a 12" pole you probably already have fallen off. The deck is only 18 - 23" off the ground (concrete slopes away from house and pool), well under code.

My greater concern is making a functional yet not ugly stop so no one scoots the chair off the edge. I'm thinking a deck board on the outside edge raised an inch up then tuck more rope on the inside.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
done with the deck aka boat pier.

20180716_080758.jpg

I'll be doing stairs into the gravel; that's where we have the fire pit.

20180716_080741.jpg

Now just to get the sheet rock done so I can finish off the outside.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
making progress so after going thru SIX sheetrock crews.

Ceiling fan up this am. No power to it yet; hope i did it right.

TQj2ArU.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
had a customer cabinet built. The top drawer is functional he slit it for the lines

PQl3srB.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
another custom cabinet. sits recessed in a pocket so out of the way. Almost did a closet but that would have been too easy.

jvlMyvq.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and got the barn door built, waiting on my welder who will be making a killer frame for it. Here i'm testing for length. Pretty close but going to wait on final until floors are in (maybe this week!)

ohGa4CA.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
Chiefs! .... errr, wrong thread ... Looks great!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
what did you do this morning daddy?

mastered the color of stain i wanted. Gotta clean up the punch bowl and measuring cup before mamma comes home...

LBOcqRJ.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
a preview of the barn door.

I bought 24 of the mini 2x's - I call the mobile home studs I think they are 2.5" instead of 3.5". Stood them on their side, two long all threads bolted thru. This, the hardware and the frame / straps my welder will do for me should be right under 200 lbs. My hardware claims to hold 225.

When I built the door frame I made it tall. My brother and a few friends are in the mid six foot tall range so any chance i get, like in the shower I added upstairs, I plan for them. Even in the toilets - upstairs has the hip roof so I stood on a 6" step stool i built and made sure they could pee without hitting their head. Anyhoo, prob TMI. The door itself will be in the 88" tall range. Not doing final cuts untilt he floor is in. I've got a spare board mounted on a roller cut to where it 'should' go but rather scrap one board not a whole panel of 'em.

pre and post stain. I'll let soak in for an hour or two, touch up then flip.

mm19taM.jpg

0bkOR29.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks great ! Never thought of making a door that way ...
You actually found 6 drywall crews to do a small remodel in this economy ?
Thats amazing !