Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

back patio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back patio

when we did the pool a few years back, we also covered the back patio - 22x20 - with the intention to close in. I accidentally found a bunch of brand new, double hung, argon filled, Low e windows on craigslist. Boguht all they had left, 18 I think @ $50 per. They retail for close to $400. I stuck them in the barn until the day was to come.

The day has come. They start Friday.

I did some prelim work - this used to be stairs.

1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. 18 windows will give you lots of light in the room. At $50 a pop that is a great price!!

THEY THAT GO DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS 1623-1923
    Dave S. S/W Louisiana
    2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
    Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
    Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Comment

I was in the Sunroom business after I took my pension. You stoled those windows, windows are about 20 to 30 bucks a square foot wholesale here. 18 windows will turn that pool room into a greenhouse in the summer, put a few high RPM ceiling fans in will really help, the more the better. 1 blowing air downwards and the other pulling air upwards. The big bonus is with the windows closed you will open it earlier and close it latter then anyone else as well you most likely will never have to heat it. We did a few pool enclosures here in southern Ontario, customers were very happy because of the extended use of their pools. One used it until the end of October, Labour Day is usually pool closure up here.

I'll make you a deal Joe, if you come up here to help me remodel the kitchen, finish the loft space, rip out and install 1200 sqft of flooring I'll come down there and supervise the window installation. Deal?

edit: I couldn't open your picture.
      Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

I did that several years ago; one of the better things I ever did.Ours tokk 14 3X6 windows. Mr.OM is right; it makes a fantastic green house; it can get hot with a metal roof. I send many mornings (weather permitting) with the first cup of coffee and enjoy the quiet. I had to take out one glass pane for the wood burning box stove stack. I know you will love it

Comment

Being a bit further south, we just screened our 32x16 back porch.

A couple of ceiling fans, a table and chairs for dining, a couch, coffee and end tables and a couple of rocking chairs and we have a pretty comfortable, three season outside living area.

The great views are an extra

Comment

well for those not able to see the pic above, below you should Had trouble on my forum as well - some can some can't so I've discovered the quick copy link photoimage.org gives you a bunch of extra code in it that apparently messese some folks up.

so using the old standard [ img] stuff...

We'll need furniture, found a welder, I supply wood, we design and we have the completed prototype sofa table.

1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

and this was what used to be stairs.

Comment

then the wife helped with the temp stairs

Comment

Comment

well ended with 8 3/0 6/0 windows and one 32" door. Decided to add a half bath that took away 3 more windows.

So I guess I'll be selling some windows....

Hope to have them all in today if we push, I have to work some but think we can get it. I'll get pics.

Comment

well we are progressing, almost dried in should be by close of week depending on custom glass being ready. Have pics, just too much other life happening to spend the time to post.

question to anyone smarter than me - the windows will have a 3" or so return from the wall. On ten windows that is a lot of small cuts and mudding. Is there anything that can give me a finished edge on the return to the wall sheetrock?

Comment

Drywall or case it in with wood .
                        just don’t use drywall on the sill if there is one ..
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                        '64 MFG Rebuild
                        MFG forum thread https://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
                        https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
                        https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...at-restoration

Comment

yeah no the sill will be wood or granite, and an extended one for cats and plants

Comment

all dried in

final rough in electric tomorrow

sheet rock starts wed

rough in plumbing done

built a small deck, found telephone pole to make it like a boat peir

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X