Mountaintop Landing and Takeoff

southkogs

Staff member
Those little Cubs are pretty cool airplanes. He was about 5,000 feet short of his service ceiling though :)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Scared the beejeezus out of me, on that note: I would like to ride along! Better than any roller coaster!

southkogs

Staff member
I'm not a rated pilot, and I don't have much mountain flying experience at all. But that little cub only needs about 350ft to land and on some even less to take off. They can get real low and slow - making that kind of STOL stuff within it's capability. The pilot musta' known his business to make it look as easy as they did.

Though - I'da' been defecating masonry in the cockpit on that one no matter how good the pilot was.

dwco5051

Commander
I would guess that is a Super Cub (PA-18). You can lift it off in 200 feet with no headwind at sea level. Getting it down there in the first place is the trick. Stall speed is less than 40 knots. With the right headwind on top of that mountain you could almost set it down and take off like a helicopter.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have never ridden in a plane of any kind . Don’t think I would want to take my first trip with that guy ..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I was always a fan of the Pilatus Porter. :joyous:

But this is pretty impressive too. :eek:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Those little Cubs are pretty cool airplanes. He was about 5,000 feet short of his service ceiling though :)

That would be a 90hp Super cub. With 150 or more hp it would do a little better....Not really a big deal landing on the side of a mountain though.....