10th anniversary; where to take her?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
On our anniversary in August we always go to visit my folks on Lopez (sunset pic shared on another thread so you know why we go there)

This is the big 10 for us, want to do something different.

I've always wanted to do American Samoa but that is too close to Australia and New Zealand and if I didn't go meet some boat forum friends I'd feel bad.

Not into Paris; did that once for a week - nasty dirty rude city. Nothing romantic about that place at all.

Sister lives in Denmark, been there a few times but not yearning to go again soon.

She is not a fan of cruises; we her first one a few months ago.

We did Jamaica but stayed at resort the whole time.

We want not touristy, but 'safe' No need to get shot or kidnapped by a Mexican drug cartel.

Not opposed to stay in country or explore others, like Michigan.... :D or Canada or somewhere - just don't want to get killed. Alaska? I've always wanted to visit Ireland and Scotland. A friend did Iceland recently that looked awesome. We love to meet and talk to people.

Thoughts? If you have been in other countries and you have a local contact that we could hire for a week to take care of us in some shady countries that would be cool.

Post up pics of your trip if you have some.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In August I would recommend Door County Wisconsin.

places to hit:
JJ's in Sister Bay for a Margarita
Gills Rock
Sunset at Ellison Bay Bluffs
Coyote Road House
Kitty O'Reillys Irish Pub for a great Bloody Mary
Cave Point State park
Skyway outdoor theater
Stones Throw Winery
Door County Brewing
touring cherry orchards and apple orchards
Washington Island

if you want a boat excursion or a personalized winery tours via mopeds, let me know. (you can tell the Admiral its a friend of a friend via iBoats sort of thing)

the White Lace Inn is a nice romantic B&B

https://www.google.com/search?q=doo...+2018&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

aspeck

Staff member
2 of our favorite spots are St Kitts and Kauai. Neither are too touristy or built up, lot's of natural beauty, lots of boating, and even in August, the breeze and the ocean keep the temps bearable. St Kitts has the Marriott Resort and some hotels. There are a couple of resorts being built, but it is still just a very neat and clean, natural island setting, relaxed and carefree. Not a LOT of touristy stuff to do, but very beautiful.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What is of interest to you? Sight Seeing? Cultural excursion?
I've been around the world two or three times by now.

Your experience at any given destination depends on who, what and when.

My wife and I spent our 5th anniversary on a whirl wind tour of France culminating in three very delightful evening in Paris. Still one of my favorite cities in the world. Confession...company has a office outside Paris. I've spent a lot of time there over the years. Not a town to just show up and enjoy..especially if you don't speak french...

Kenya or South Africa - Safari
Tokyo - Great city
Milan or Venice - good food
Valencia Spain - Mediterranean beaches with a "view"
London - One of my favorite cities
The jungles Venezuela and Brazil - stuff movies are made of
Phuket Thailand - on the bucket list to take the wife
Bavaria - Nuremberg and Rothenburg in particular
Shanghai - Great City
Stone Hedge - Interesting place
Brussels - Great City and Food - our last trip before kids way back then
Amsterdam - going back next month
Mykonos Greece - get your party on

Never been anywhere I didn't at least find interesting except maybe India. Mumbai doesn't do it

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Doesn't matter where you take 'em. They always come back. Kachow!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Food and culture and talking to people

We have friends in Venezuela, rich family thankfully given the current events. Forgot about that.

Folks went to Italy a few years back; raved on the food. How prevalent is English?

Spain? Would go for food, I have my own 'view' especially while walking behind her...

We have contacts in Japan, not sure what city but mamma had foreign neighbors a couple years that worked at Arnold AFB (right down the road) who moved back home couple years ago and she went to visit last summer. Big possibility there....

Keep the ideas coming - especially if you have local contacts. That's what makes it fun for us.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
In Italy, especially the bigger cities like Rome and Milan etc. the Gen Xers speak very good English, if they think you are Canadian. Unfortunately and please don't take this the wrong way folks, my experience travelling to every continent on the globe except The Antarctic American citizens are not treated with much respect. If you want to go south I would stay away from Jamaica and Mexico these days. When we have recently been to both places we never left the property. I will never set foot in Mexico again for as long as I live. The Turks and Caicos is a great choice. Some of the best beaches and Gin clear waters in the World, bar none. And a boaters paradise.

If you are looking for a nice spring destination close to home I would choose Quebec City. As close to Europe and it's romantic allure, fake or real, you can get without crossing an ocean and dealing with rude Euro trash. It can get touristy in summer but not so much in spring. The other place is Victoria BC on Vancouver Island. Especially if you are boaters. You can rent a good size boat and explore the island via the water or take one of many charters. It is gorgeous, wake to snow capped mountains in summer. For me spring is best in B.C. Yes it rains, every afternoon but for an hour, great time to take a snooze. Americans are more than welcome here in Canada, with open arms.

edit: If you guys are into flora and fauna you have to go to Victoria, one of the Worlds best Botanical Gardens. On the other end of the island is Comox/Qualcom Beach, just amazing. We've been a few times.

Oh man, I just remembered our 26th anniversary is TODAY! Ooops.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Next year the wife and I will visit Europe for the first time. We're taking an 8-day Viking river cruise on the Danube, starting in Nuremberg and ending in Budapest... with a 3-day 'pre-cruise' stay in Prague. We're excited as hell about it. It's pretty pricey, but maybe food for thought?

My .02

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah the whole pricey thing has kept me from doing that, plus I now now she is not a fan of cruises - albeit the river cruise is different.

ironmaker - yeah get that - the new brother in law came to visit a few years ago (my sister is Danish) and he told me he didn't really want to come because 'Americans are assholes'. Thankfully he was shown differently at every stage of his journey and he had a great time. Last time we went to visit we got in front of my sisters 5th grade class (teacher) and they asked all sorts of questions like 'are you rich' and 'how man houses do you own' and 'do you have girlfriends' . Sister told me, and i never thought about it, that their perception of us if from American television. If people just wouldn't watch tv......but that's another thread.

What about an American/Canadian train adventure? Anyone done that?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes unfortunately many citizens of other countries have a perception of all Americans that is unfair. Your new Prez sure doesn't help. I have a very close Uncle from NY that decided to take a European holiday with his new wife 15 years back. I tried to warn him as he is your stereotypical rude American. He tried the "You can't treat me like that, I'm an American citizen." The 3 week trip turned into 3 days and they hightailed it back home.

southkogs

Staff member
My folks have done them a few times and loved them. We've used it for shorter trips (Windsor to Toronto for the weekend), but never staying on the train.

I've enjoyed exploring the lower 48 in the last ten years or so. We did a week in Flagstaff and spent some time between the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon. The views were spectacular, and the people were wonderful.

We've also really enjoyed Virginia. Mainly around and in Williamsburg, but Norfolk, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach were pretty fantastic too. We've been three times and just love the area.

On the list to get to is a trip up to Mystic Sea Port, CT. I went years ago as a kid, but want to see it again.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

I have flown to Winnipeg from Toronto and taken the special Via Rail to Vancouver in the Fall. Fantastic trip other than the prairies. I slept most of that leg under the influence. I changed the itinerary and flew out of Calgary on the return leg. The Rockies are something to see from the glass roofed cars. Great food and service. We plan on doing it as my wife hasn't done the Via Rail trip but will fly further west than Winterpeg this time. You will never get to see what you can from a train rather than by car.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Next year the wife and I will visit Europe for the first time. We're taking an 8-day Viking river cruise on the Danube, starting in Nuremberg and ending in Budapest... with a 3-day 'pre-cruise' stay in Prague. We're excited as hell about it. It's pretty pricey, but maybe food for thought?

My .02
I was a rep for a company based outside Nuremberg for 12 years. Spent a lot of time in that part of Europe.

Prague and Nuremberg are beautiful cities. Most of the better restaurants have “English” menus if you ask.

The river cruise is nice but you miss a lot in between stops. Like many places, some of the best places are on roads less traveled

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I was a rep for a company based outside Nuremberg for 12 years. Spent a lot of time in that part of Europe.

Prague and Nuremberg are beautiful cities. Most of the better restaurants have “English” menus if you ask.

The river cruise is nice but you miss a lot in between stops. Like many places, some of the best places are on roads less traveled

I don't disagree, but we're noobs. Excited and a little apprehensive at the same time. The cruise seems like a good way to start.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't disagree, but we're noobs. Excited and a little apprehensive at the same time. The cruise seems like a good way to start.
Good way to get your feet wet if nothing else.

I never had that luxury. I typically get of the plane with a street address and a meeting time and had to figure it out from there.

Don't let language or anything else intimate you. Immerse yourself in their customs and culture and enjoy. When in Rome......;)

A bit of advice from a well seasoned traveler.........learn how to ask if they speak English in their native language. If they don't know English, they can usually find someone knows enough to get by.

I don't know how many times I've sat in a restaurant and heard an American raise their voice then get louder and louder with each attempt to communicate with someone who obviously doesn't speak English. Such actions are rude and demeaning to the individual(s) involved.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I would second Door County WI. I love going there for camping, sailing and kayaking. wineries, antique shops quaint little towns with lakeside restaurants.

my second thought would be hiking and kayaking in Alaska. definitely on my bucket list, August should be a great month to go there as well.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well if it involve hiking i'll have to start getting into shape. I/ve been putting my new bike together and i'm sweating in a 64 degree house. I am waaaaaaay out of shape.

Looked over the canada train and man that gets pricey if you want your own room. i usually try to spoil the wife buut that seems a bit much.