Furlough Friday

sam60

Captain
At 57 years old I was written up today. I let the company know that I will take care of all jobs pending but will not work for a high school mentality company. I haven't been unemployed since I was 13...this will be interesting.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
sounds just like me, sans the written up part. (and you have 5 years on me) but I'd probably do the same. I keep expecting to get written up or fired because I say things others will not because they are afraid to. I'm getting old, debt free, and have a buck or two int he bank. I really don't care what people think of me at this point. As long as I'm telling the truth, i dont care.

sam60

Captain
I had a conference call at 6:15 this AM on the Landline at the office, they asked when I show up and when I leave....well I was already at work but I told them I come in at 10 and leave at noon. I also asked if I should let them know when I'm responding to Engineers in Jordan at 4 am or logging on the weekend to work. The response was now you are just being sarcastic. 10 hours a day and lunch at desk while working, I may be unemployed Monday.

aspeck

Staff member
Good for you, Sam. Maybe it will jog them into action, or maybe it will be the bridge to something better for you. Hang in there, my friend, you have faced worse than this and come out on the long end ...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
At the moment, i think my company and my boss realize the depth of knowledge and expertise that us old folks can bring and on my last project I proved it - plus was a ...hole at the appropriate moments to keep things orning. That was racognized and I was thanked for it.

New kids may work a lot of hours and say a lot of the right buzz words, but when it comes to getting things done we can do it much more efficiently.

Reminds me of the joke about the young bull and the old bull talking about going to 'visit' the ladies...

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I I also asked if I should let them know when I'm responding to Engineers in Jordan at 4 am or logging on the weekend to work. The response was now you are just being sarcastic.

Classic double standard. When you talk about your contribution, they talk about what 'the team' needs. When you talk about what the team needs, they talk about perceived shortfalls in your contribution. Anyone who knows that classic scene from the movie "North Dallas Forty" will understand exactly what I'm talking about. It's all BS. I worked white collar for 45 years ( ended as an IT Project Director) and it was always that way.

Best of luck to you, Sam.

angus63

Captain
sounds just like me, sans the written up part. (and you have 5 years on me) but I'd probably do the same. I keep expecting to get written up or fired because I say things others will not because they are afraid to. I'm getting old, debt free, and have a buck or two int he bank. I really don't care what people think of me at this point. As long as I'm telling the truth, i dont care.

This could of come from my mouth redneck joe. I have the distinction of being a federal employee. That means anything I say will not change anything or be acknowledged. The plus side is I can do or say anything short of murder and not be fired, but sent for additional training. Sometimes that is worse than being terminated.

sam60

Captain
We'll see what tomorrow brings. It will be interesting either way.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Acting like a 2nd Looie with a clipboard. Most dangerous person in the military. LOL

Watch out at quittin' time, Sam.

sam60

Captain
Acting like a 2nd Looie with a clipboard. Most dangerous person in the military. LOL

Watch out at quittin' time, Sam.

Hey GA_ I survived today but if I have to waste an 1/8th tank each way tomorrow to just get fired I will be upset. :cool:

bassman284

Commander
Still here at 1:30 PM, Kickin' butt and takin' names.

Hey ol buddy! Thinking about you.The corporate life is something else, isn't it. Are they trying to bully you into taking on jobs you don't want? Oldest trick in the book.Usually means they know they need you pretty bad but want to squeeze a little more out of your carcass. Sounds like you're calling the bluff and know your value to the corp. Keep us posted, bud.

sam60

Captain
Hey ol buddy! Thinking about you.The corporate life is something else, isn't it. Are they trying to bully you into taking on jobs you don't want? Oldest trick in the book.Usually means they know they need you pretty bad but want to squeeze a little more out of your carcass. Sounds like you're calling the bluff and know your value to the corp. Keep us posted, bud.

I'll guess that I'll see what happens. Fortunately I have prepared. I could kick butt in the Plumbing isles at Home Depot.

GA_Boater

I'll guess that I'll see what happens. Fortunately I have prepared. I could kick butt in the Plumbing isles at Home Depot.

Or Walmart greeter, although you may too young. :wink:

GA_Boater

That and a minor in shopping carts. LOL

I should say there is nothing wrong with greeters at WallyWorld. Some seniors need the extra pay to make ends meet.

sam60

Captain
That and a minor in shopping carts. LOL

I should say there is nothing wrong with greeters at WallyWorld. Some seniors need the extra pay to make ends meet.

Don't get me wrong, I greet them before they do me and I quickly thank those wearing Veterans hats. Dang I'm wishing that furlough comes soon, I hate getting up at 4:00. As they say, be careful what you wish for...Or be mindful of what you fish for!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My Motto for 35 yrs was "Keep Smiling, the Bosses are Idiots". I wrote it on a white board with regular felt pen. It took them 4 days to find out how to remove it.

Last edited: