Learned a new word this week

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I was outside one day last week; and a older Dodge p/u pulled in front of the garage. A man got out and started the conversation, (in less then 10 words I knew he wasn't a local. LA plates) He asked if he could buy 50 gallons of water and rent a "hosepipe"? I told him the water was free; but had never heard of a "hosepipe",. He pulled around to the barn by a faucet. He then picked up the water hose; pointed to it; and said "hosepipe"! Filled up his barrel; borrowed the hose; shook hands; he left.
The next day had to go to town for l/m gas and few things. Got back; noticed a a blue 55 gallon barrel next to the water faucet; hose neatly coiled back in place; a 12 pack of coke; and a note thanking me.
I'm very good in speaking "East Texan"; but not versed in others.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I am not from east Texas, or LA, and have never heard that word before. I think a hose is a type of pipe - so that word would be redundant. Or is it 2 words, and just more descriptive when saying what kind of pipe you're looking for

dwco5051

Commander
It is a British word for hose. I have heard it used by my cousin's inlaws who were from Kentucky and of Scotch-Irish descent as is much of Appalachia.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It is a British word for hose. I have heard it used by my cousin's inlaws who were from Kentucky and of Scotch-Irish descent as is much of Appalachia.

Yep. Manuals for British sports cars are rife with hosepipe in place of hose, as in the upper radiator hosepipe.

southkogs

Staff member
... Scotch-Irish descent as is much of Appalachia.
Aye. Within my third week after moving South of the Mason-Dixon, I had to decode that word for the first time. Little ole' lady who was teachin' me to "speak proper" was giggling 'cuz she knew she completely had me on that term.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I can imagine walking into a parts house; walk up to a pimple face kid in front of a computer screen ; and ask for a hosepipe for a '03 Ford P/U. Then see the look!

GA_Boater

And you look real dumb getting in the car and the steering wheel is missing. Yeah - I did that once as I was talking and not paying attention. My British friend never said a word but burst out laughing as I turned toward the front.

dwco5051

Commander
Been there, done that. Climbed behind the wheel of an airport van in Jamaica. Biggest problem I found in Britain was constantly looking the wrong way for traffic when crossing a street.

bigdee

Commander
Not related to British. Every southerner knows a garden hose is called a hosepipe. They don't have hosepipes at the auto parts store....radiator hoses and heater hoses but no hosepipes!

GA_Boater

I've lived in the South since 1984 plus 4 years in North Carolina and never heard anyone call a garden hose a hosepipe. I think it's local colloquialism and not all of the South uses the term.

Now everybody in the South knows what grits are, but only the Philadelphia area knows what scrapple is and only the Pittsburgh area folks know what chipped ham is. :lol:

bigdee

Commander
I've lived in the South since 1984 plus 4 years in North Carolina and never heard anyone call a garden hose a hosepipe. I think it's local colloquialism and not all of the South uses the term.

Now everybody in the South knows what grits are, but only the Philadelphia area knows what scrapple is and only the Pittsburgh area folks know what chipped ham is. :lol:

Since 84? your not a seasoned southerner yet! I'm in NC and hosepipe is what we call it except when we go to the store to buy one we asked for a garden hose. Once you take it home and roll it out it becomes a hosepipe. BTW I love crusty scrapple and grits.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
My SIL lives in BR. She said her neighbor hit her up with that word; she didn't know either. According to her the accent or brogue is French Acadian which dates back to the Louisiana Purchase.

G A: Haven't tried the chipped ham. But I would venture a guess that anyone in the military thrived on SOS. Toast or eggs its good. We just use sausage and country gravy mix.

bigdee

Commander
A hosepipe is connected to a spigot. Chipped ham/dried beef is SOS or puss & scabs.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

don't know about that, live in WI and we have scrapple in the freezer all the time. we buy it locally.
G/F is from NC she loves the stuff

we had chipped ham a lot as kids. I prefer chipped beef or as previously noted SOS

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Anyone know what a "Water go Spaghetti no" is? I have been to a few "Boot Sales" in England when we rented a flat and a Lorrie there when we worked our way across the pond. The first time the boys and I went south in 68 Ford Shagin' Wagin' I asked the waitress for some Polenta. "We don't have Polenta young man." she said. I pointed to a plate of Grits and said "Yes you do mame."

aspeck

Staff member
Please tell us, Old Ironmaker, what a Water go Spaghetti no is ... I am assuming it is a colander, but then again, I know what happens when you assume ...

And GA, I don't live in Philly or Pittsburgh, but I like a chipped ham and cheese sammich and I like scrapple, sliced thin and fried crispy in the morning with my eggs ... best with a little maple syrup to sweeten it up.

GA_Boater

The proper dish is made with dried chipped beef or sausage. Mom served chipped beef on toast. Yum, yum.

Needless to say I was left longing for Mom's home cooking when the chow hall used hamburger meat :blue: which was improved with a lotta pepper and liberal doses of tabasco. Truly SOS! LOL