NFL - Offseason News

WIMUSKY

Staff member
What's going on around the league and/or your team?

Teddy will officially be a free agent if the Vikes don't sign him by March 14, bye Teddy! Haven't heard a word about Bradford. Keenum wasn't franchised and they're looking hard at Cousins. Don't think Keenum will be happy as a backup, so he may be gone too if Cousins comes onboard... Time will tell...

Big talks on revamping the catch rule. I sure hope so, the current rule is ridiculous.

Sounds like Dez's future with the Cowboys is anything but secure.

Alex Smith replaced Cousins at Washington. The head office told Cousins you do this, this and this and we'll pay you the big bucks. He did what they asked and he's out the door, no big money.

What else is going on?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Jerry Jones is gonna pay a bunch for the privilege of threatening to sue the league and oust Godell over the Zeke Elliott suspension and appeals. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah looks like my chiefs are shedding top talent left and right, rebuilding around the new kid.

sigh...... yet another year of being a chiefs fan ahead

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Jerry Jones is gonna pay a bunch for the privilege of threatening to sue the league and oust Godell over the Zeke Elliott suspension and appeals. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I hold a grudge for a long time especially when it comes to respect. Not allowing Tom Landry to retire versus firing almost immediately upon assuming ownership will never settle well with me. While Landry was struggling at the time, he was one of the best. Ever since then, my two favorite teams has always been the Chiefs and whoever is playing against Dallas.

aspeck

Staff member
I agree with you, Redneck, I don't think Landry was given a fair deal. As for the Steelers, waiting to see what the draft brings, guess. Bell is still mouthing off about his contract and giving innuendo to not playing next year if he is franchised at $14.5M. He wants a long term contract in that amount. Steelers need to trade him to another team that wants him ... trade him to the Browns for the #1 pick and get Saquon Barkley. He has the speed, strength, pass catching, route running, and blocking ability of Bell without the attitude. I mean, He listed of information about 5 of the top six picking teams and stated why he would love to play at each organization. He also said if he was picked first or last, it did not matter because it was an honor to be given an opportunity to play in the NFL. What team wouldn't want that kind of attitude on their team?

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I would have liked to build off Smith and crew a couple more years as he was one of the first in some time that was not a mid to end of life QB for us so this new kid and what is looking to be a complete rebuilt might be exciting.

One of the best ever MNF games was Elway against Montana when he was with us. IIRC, three touchdowns in the last two minutes and we won. Without that game, I probably would have never married my ex wife. That was our first date - I went to her place and cooked dinner while we watch the game. The we 'celebrated' for the first time shortly there after.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Keep Jim Kelly (Buffalo Bills HOF QB) and his family in your prayers. He announced his cancer is back. Keep fighting like you always have, Jim.

aspeck

Staff member
I see they are talking about reconstruction of Kelly's jaw to remove the cancer. Prayers for him, he has always been a class act ... didn't matter if he was on or off the field.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Steelers expect to franchise Bell b4 tomorrow's deadline.

Guess who wants Barkley besides everyone, Browns....

aspeck

Staff member
Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell.:facepalm:

aspeck

Staff member
He has been making noise about sitting...can't imagine they would go through this again ... look at the discord last year when he sat out camp. Now he has been threatening to sit out the whole year. Can't believe they didn't trade his sorry butt and go with a team player instead of a trouble maker!

GA_Boater

It forces one free agent player per team, one whose contract ended after the prior season, to play for one more year with a guaranteed salary incentive. This add one year to contract negotiations. The player is paid the average of the top 5 players in that position or 120% of their expired contract. In other words, a tagged player can lose big if another team is willing to make him the highest paid for his position.

If the player doesn't accept the tag contract, they sit out the year with no pay. It adds 1 year to an expired contract and one of the silly rules. All pro sports have a variation and it's really forced servitude!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
What's going on around the league and/or your team?

Teddy will officially be a free agent if the Vikes don't sign him by March 14, bye Teddy! Haven't heard a word about Bradford. Keenum wasn't franchised and they're looking hard at Cousins. Don't think Keenum will be happy as a backup, so he may be gone too if Cousins comes onboard... Time will tell...

Big talks on revamping the catch rule. I sure hope so, the current rule is ridiculous.

Sounds like Dez's future with the Cowboys is anything but secure.

Alex Smith replaced Cousins at Washington. The head office told Cousins you do this, this and this and we'll pay you the big bucks. He did what they asked and he's out the door, no big money.

What else is going on?

It must be tough having 2 maybe Teddy makes 3 starting QB's on your team. Send one to us in Buffalo please. The jury is still out on Bridgewater. Many that suffer that same injury have their legs amputated. He may play well again. If he makes a Herculean comeback we are talking a Hollywood movie in the future.

Please send your prayers to Jim Kelly. Even if you aren't the praying type, it can't hurt. I'm a 7 year Bladder Cancer survivor and when I go for that now annual cystoscopy I can't think straight until the Doc and I finish watching the screen. That hurts too.

Your explanation of the Franchise Tag is a hell of a lot better than Wikipedias. You had better be a Wall St. lawyer to fully understand the Salary Cap, I sure don't get it all. A running back in todays game just doesn't have the market value in this day of pass first run second. Listening to the NFL Radio network today a RB is ranked below wide outs and corners now as far as value goes. The salaries prove it. Look how many great backs are coming out of the draft every year now. Including the kid from Ohio State this year. A 4.3 40!! Plus he actually turned that speed into yards in the college game which is nowhere the learning curve for good QB's coming out of college to the pro game. To many given that tag feel it can be a death sentence, especially if a tagged player gets a severe injury. He can be 1 and done. Everyone wants long term money guaranteed not a 1 year trial period especially after having proven you can play the game at a top level. For some it can be an advantage to prove how much worth you have especially coming off a bad year. The salaries made today are for a different discussion. To me MLB salaries are obscene, oops different discussion.

GA_Boater

Steelers place franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell.:facepalm:

2nd tag for Bell. He played for 12.1M last year and the tag this will about 14.2M or 26.3M total. He was offered 30M for those two years in a long term deal before last season. So he chucked almost 4M in the toilet.

He's 26 and finished his 5th season in the NFL where the average RB career is 2.57 years and average age is 25.66. He had MCL surgery in 2015 , missing 7 games and a 4 game suspension starting 2016. Last year he had a groin injury and had surgery a year ago.

I guess the question is how long will he play and can Pittsburgh find another stud to replace him. He and the Steelers have until mid-July to make a contract deal or he maybe sits out.

aspeck

Staff member
Antonio Brown is reported to have agreed to rework his contract to get a deal done with Bell. Bell has said he would sit out maybe 2, maybe 4, maybe 10 games if an agreement isn't reached. Problem is that Bell feels that 1) all running backs are underpaid, and 2) he is more than a running back, he is an elite receiver also and therefore should be compensated the rate of both. It is good that he has such a high opinion of himself, but just because I think I am worth $1MIL to moderate the iboats forum does not mean that iboats is going to compensate me that amount. And although he is a good receiver and running back, he needs to remember he has had injuries, sitting out preseason because you don't get your way, he has been suspended for drug use, he has brought dissension to the team ... he has his share of negatives. He needs to learn to be a team player. Antonio Brown has had a few issues, but his willingness to rework a deal for the good of the team is proof of his team play and ethic. Bell needs to grow up. Many of the local Pittsburgh fan base has turned on him. Trade him and move on.