Woohoo! I finally got a workbench!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Picked this up from craigslist this morning. Measures 72x27x34. Yes, the vise was included. It's a moderate duty unit but should be plenty good enough for my needs. No welding and no pounding on the table. :cool:

Am thinking that I'll cover the top with some sheet steel. But first I'd add a layer of 1/2" plywood, then the steel on top of that. Screw and glue the plywood to the 2x6 planks, then glue the steel sheet over top of the plywood using construction adhesives and serious weight on top to provide clamping force. Sorta like I did for the transom in my Kingfisher. :D

From what I've read thus far this afternoon, it looks like 10 or 12 gauge mild steel should work okay.

Thoughts?

4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Unless you intend to do a lot of major pounding, or welding, I'd skip the sheet metal. It's slippery, and of you need to screw something down, you can't. Plywood would be just fine on top of them 2x 6's. Other than that, nice bench!

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Nice workbench BW...as for the steel...keep in mind the humidity here in Florida. I would use it as it is...:)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on what you want to use the bench for.

I used to tear apart a bunch of transmissions when I was building hot-rods. on that bench, I had a galvaneal pan made up with a 1" lip and a drain port that had a few tabs to sit on my bench. that way when I pulled a trans apart the fluid stayed in the pan. In that case, you would want steel

I have made a few steel work benches for welding. those must be steel. one of them weighed 800#

my current bench is plywood and 2x4 construction and is on wheels with locks so I can push it around in the garage/driveway as needed. I use it for wood working, fiberglass work and if I throw cardboard on it, I use it for automotive work.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So yesterday I ended up getting a nicely finished piece of 3/4" plywood from HD for the bench top. It's so nice looking that the store clerk who was making the sizing cuts for me suggested that I put a nice varnish job on it. Heh heh. :p

My buddy was over at my place working on another task and when he was done with that, he attached the plywood to the workbench for me. Cool beans. :cool:

This afternoon we had to rearrange the garage a little but that really wasn't a big deal.

I'm very happy with how it all turned out! :D

36.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Rook66

Seaman
Good job on your work bench.

I built one back in the mid 80s and it's been handier than anything I've got in my workshop.. I mounted two vices on mine, one on each end of the bench, that is like having extra hands. I just clamp a 2 x 4 in one and it makes a good motor support where I can work on my stuff sitting down at eye level.

DSCN4817.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Work benches make everything so much easier, I have 3 of them in my shop, one for my lathe and mill, one for my vise and grinder and a 3rd one that my reloading equipment is mounted on and I am thinking about building a 4th.

Rook66

Seaman
Work benches make everything so much easier, I have 3 of them in my shop, one for my lathe and mill, one for my vise and grinder and a 3rd one that my reloading equipment is mounted on and I am thinking about building a 4th.

I have my reloading presses mounted on boards and then I bolt them down onto my work bench using 3 bolts with wing nuts and then when I"m not reloading I remove them and put them away in a cabinet.

DSCN2844_3.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I have my reloading presses mounted on boards and then I bolt them down onto my work bench using 3 bolts with wing nuts and then when I"m not reloading I remove them and put them away in a cabinet.

DSCN2844_3.jpg
I've been thinking of using the wing nut method for temporarily mounting my drill press and scroll saw.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Here are a few shots of my very messy shop, I have spent most of the winter cleaning back up and have mounted a new 240V heater so I can stay warm!

Attachments

• photo286824.jpg
    photo286824.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286825.jpg
    photo286825.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286826.jpg
    photo286826.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286827.jpg
    photo286827.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286828.jpg
    photo286828.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286829.jpg
    photo286829.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Here are a few shots of my very messy shop, I have spent most of the winter cleaning back up and have mounted a new 240V heater so I can stay warm!
Staying warm is the opposite of my situation! :lol:

At some point I'll probably insulate and then air condition the place. But in the meantime, I'm eyeballing some ceiling fans.

My plan is to clear out and organize my garage/shop after my Kingfisher splash later this spring.

I think some (metal) pegboard is definitely needed, base on what I see in your pix! That could really help with organizing.
And your overhead drop-down power tool storage also looks interesting.

So many options. Much to think about. :nod:

A couple days ago we finally remounted the vise back onto the workbench. Haven't used it yet, but it's there! :p

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When you have as much as I do stuffed in my shop, you can not live without peg board, since those pictures were taken, I have mounted my reloading tools, and put up a bunch more peg board, we have a small 15 cubic foot freezer in there as well and on either side I have peg board, I moved the screw drivers to a pegboard wall behind the door, added pegboard beside the freezer where I moved all my sockets and extensions, there is a shelf above the mill and the lathe for all of my tooling. 4 shelves next to my socket and extension wall with chemicals and ammo on them. Areas that pegboard is not usable I have put up luan, insulation behind all of the peg board as well as the luan.

I will have to go out and take some new pictures, shops are like kids, they are always growing!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I really don't like anything with the word "work" in it. But you do have a nice one there. Put metal on 1/2 of it. In 86' we moved into a new build and we were like the 5th in the survey. The material yard was next door. I did the builder a favor by letting them use my power to build on the other side of me. He said feel free to help yourself to anything after dark. I built a similar bench out of 2X10's, 2X8's, 4X4's and 1" plywood. Plus enough dimensional lumber to frame in the basement. We sold 3 years later. When the boys went to lift my free bench they couldn't budge it, whooses. New owners got a nice new immovable bench. I still want that bench. I took the loose lumber though. Highest hydro bill I didn't mind paying.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
My first one was the size of a card table; not used much. ( With the L/M; Edger; W/B; bikes; toys; and other junk kinda cramped a 10X20 space. Moved to the country;P/O had built one across the back wall.l. He had put shelves all around the garage; pull out drawers under the work bench. Had space for two roll around tool boxes and table. Don't what his trade was; but he left me with a nice setup.

I'm with "53"; cant get cool enough. Installed a dropped ceiling two years ago; put a small window AC in last year. Just need to get some good lighting.