Nascar - 2018 Race #2 - Atlanta, In My Backyard 500

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now that the thrill and carnage of plate racing at Daytona is out of the way, back to what has been boring racing on a 1 1/2 mile track. The 1.5 mile track action was blah last year, so we'll see how it goes. Trucks, X-Men and Cup will make for a full weekend. From MRN, their new Schedule of Events format - Which I don't care for;

Click image for larger version  Name:	atl2018.PNG Views:	1 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	10540315

The entry list only has 36 teams. Is Nascar getting so bad that they can't fill a field of 40 cars?
Expect Sunday to be rained out unless we are lucky - 1+" forecast. Saturday is better, but not by much. Friday looks nice.

News and Notes
  • Will the track hold up? Drivers have been complaining for a while that the racing surface is worn out.
  • Penalties - No Cup or X-Men were dinged, but one in Trucks for a height violation.
  • TV Ratings - Against the Olympics and NBA All-Star game, the race got 5.3 vs 6.5 last year. The Clash improved over last year's 1.05 to 1.35 last week.

iBoats Fantasy Live
  • 64osby a̶s̶p̶e̶c̶k̶ is our first winner under the new iFL format. Congrats to our first 2018 trophy winner. 🏆
  • With the new Fantasy Live, your picks from last week are wiped off the slate and the drivers you choose only have 9 starts remaining. Drivers have a usage count bar to track how many picks are left.
  • You have until 5:10PM Est on Friday to pick your pole winner to have a shot at the 5 point Pole bonus.

Don't forget your pole pick and Good Luck everyone.

Humpty_Boater

Last edited:

GA_Boater

The first and only practice before qualifying is over. Atlanta Qualifying Results

If you use qualifying to help with your pole pick, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. was the fastest. The sam60's Designated Hitter LOL, Denny Hamlin, had the best 10 consecutive lap average speed.

You have until 5:10 PM EST to get your pole choice locked in.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Nice write up GA...however...( whispers real low ) Osby1 won last week not aspeck...:nono:

GA_Boater

Nice write up GA...however...( whispers real low ) Osby1 won last week not aspeck...:nono:

Don't know what you mean, Cowboy? :facepalm:

If you picked The Twerp to take the pole, you have 5 bonus points. If you're like me,

gooseegg.PNG

Following The Twerp are Newman, Harvick, Suarez, Keso, Stenhouse, The Twerp's Big Brother, Larson, Bowyer, Jones, Almirola and the 51's Designated Hitter :smile: Hamlin.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Don't know what you mean, Cowboy? :facepalm:

Can`t just hand them trophies out...gotta make'em earn em...:D

FYI...the start time for the Atlanta race has been moved up an hour to try and beat the rain so get them picks in Early...!!!

GA_Boater

Thanks for the schedule update. 1 PM on Monday is probably more realistic.

atlwx.PNG

X-Men are about to start and it's beautiful day. Trucks are after the X-er's.

Inspection woes bit the #78. The car flunked pre-qualifying inspection 3 times and Truex didn't try to qualify. His Car Chief was suspended for the race. Silly question - The crew says it flunked because the new inspection is tighter, so how did the car pass for the 1st practice and a few hours later flunk? Mmmm.

GA_Boater

X-Race Sorta just finished. Non-X'er Harvick won with 7 cars on the lead lap. Boring way to start the 1.5 mile track season with more to come. :facepalm: Harvick lead 137 of 163 laps and won all three stages. Stage racing and playoffs can't fix this near Formula 1 boredom.

2nd through 5th was Logano, Bell (Real X-Man), JNemechek (full time Trucker) and Sadler (Real X-Man). So only Bell and Sadler garnered any points.

Truck kickoff in a few minutes and of course The Twerp on on the pole. More stolen points and money from True Truckers.

64osby

Admiral
GA just didn't want me to use the :first: as a wheel chock. :suspicious: :lol:

GA_Boater

GA just didn't want me to use the :first: as a wheel chock. :suspicious: :lol:

Just blame old age and senility, 64. Sorry about the short term memory loss. Long term must be good because I remembered 'speck winning the last 2017 race. :embarassed:

Has anyone seen where I put my walker?

GA_Boater

Sweet justice! Deja Vu!

The Twerp was leading with 7 laps to go and a yellow flies for another car spinning. The Twerp came in for tires and in the midst of the stop the decision was made to go for only two. So he jumps out of the pits toward the track and the right rear tire fell off. This is too good! LOL Hope to see a video.

This led to an OT finish with Brett Moffitt taking the checkers with only one lap led, the only important lap! Places 2 - 5 were all Truckers; Gragson, Sauter, Rhodes and Crafton.

Weather is still looking bad for tomorrow on the local report and Monday morning into the early afternoon as well.

GA_Boater

It's 1 o'clock - Why aren't we racing?

Oh!

atlrain.PNG

Generally moving from SW to NE. They had most of the track dry before rain began again. They have until about 5PM to dry the track and get the race tonight. :noidea:

64osby

Admiral
GA, you need to become a weatherman. Your advance forecast was more accurate then most of our local personalities are capable of. :lol:

GA_Boater

GA_Weatherman? LOL

They have about a 1.5 hour window to finish Heat #2 for an official race. Let's see how it works out with the red flags from wrecks because they will be pushing hard and not really thinking. I might be wrong. :wink:

Getting in the cars and firing them up.

GA_Boater

Green flag with a competition caution at lap 30. Twerp - Are your nuts tight?

GA_Boater

So where was I?

Oh yeah - Harvick had one loose lugnut and we're checking FlaCowboy's nuts too. Final results on Tuesday.

GA_Boater

flac.PNG
has won for his outstanding performance at
the Atlanta Motor Speedway
the Official Weekly

🏆
officialseal.PNG

Certified and Attested
humpty.PNG

Congrats Cowboy. You also are on top of the overall leader board.

Next race is from Las Vegas. Cup, X-Men and Trucks will be running. Probably an unfair share of BuschWhackers too.

Attachments

• ifl.PNG
    ifl.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 0